Occupy Watchtower

by OnTheWayOut 26 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I stole the idea from a FB friend. Just like Occupy Wallstreet (and the spread to various cities), imagine people without a single voice picketing WT at Brooklyn and having warming barrels loaded with burning Watchtower literature. Would you do it? If you did, what would your sign say? How effective would OWT be?

All thoughts on the subject welcome.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I think it's pretty cozy up here watching them crumble from within; satisfying, but you can go up front if you like.

-Sab

• cedars
    cedars

The thought crossed my mind long before the "occupy wall street" campaign. To my recollection, there is a dog-walkers' park right infront of the main lobby at Brooklyn, and this would make a perfect venue for a prolonged rally, provided the dog walkers didn't mind our presence. I even thought how cool it would be for "active" and "inactive" publishers to picket alongside the Df'd and DA'd in a show of unity. Those active and inactive Witnesses could have their faces covered, perhaps bound with bandages, with a brief but powerful slogan on their t-shirt to tell the world what would happen if they were to show their faces.

I suspect the Society are already one step ahead of us on this, as I'm sure it's either been done or planned before. They probably have some sort of contingency plan that would swing into operation if it were to happen. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try it if it were legal. I know a lot of us would fly across to New York to be in attendance if it were organized (and legally viable).

Cedars

• steve2
    steve2

You could inadvertently generate a lot of sympathy for the Watchtower. Look what happened when those fundamentalist nutters in the USA started threatening to burn The Koran in public displays: Opinion was divided on whether the nutters' threats and actions constituted a legitimate pursuit or religious intolerance (yes, I know, it is ironic that allegations were made of religious intolerance against intolerant religions - but that's public debate for you - it seldom goes the way the protesters desire).

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I love the idea. I'm only a couple hours away.

• I_love_Jeff
  • JRK
    JRK

I would be willing after my mother passes. I would like to take a dump in the foyer of 25 Columbia Heights before they leave.

JK

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Funny, yeah, but a complete waste of time. Everyone would would probably be arrested....I don't feel like singing melodies in the cell..

• steve2
    steve2
    I would like to take a dump in the foyer of 25 Columbia Heights before they leave.

An intriguing desire. Would you prefer the gesture captured on You Tube?

• undercover
    undercover

Like any WT protest, it will make the protesters feel good about themselves...and it might enlighten a few citizens along the way.

But - as for the followers of the WTS, it will only reinforce the persecution complex. WT Occupiers won't be labeled as dirty, lazy hippies...they'll be labeled as evil, Satan loving apostates. A sure reason to hate them and avoid anything they have to do or say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit