Songs everyone should hear--at least once in their lives

by WTWizard 13 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And no, the sxxx that comes out of the Kingdumb Hell is not among that.

With all the rubbish you hear on the radio these days, one wonders if there are any decent songs out there. And "rubbish" doesn't mean debased music or music with Satanic messages encoded in it. It means the crap that is thrown together, Auto-Tune'd for homogenization, and stuffed onto the radio. And this time, it is not "old fogeys" that are bashing it--I have heard of Beatles performances where teens and young adults were the majority of the audience--not forced to be there by their parents (in recent years). And, Michael Jackson's Thriller CD is selling to teenagers and young people, not just those who are replacing their worn vinyl records or lost or ruined CDs with new ones.

Here is a partial list of songs that teenagers today ought to give a good listen to. Notice that they are not necessarily Washtowel approved, and I make no prejudice based on genre or if it is claimed to have Satanic messages embedded in them.

1960s: The Beatles--Hard Day's Night, Hey Jude, Get Back. Stones: Get Off Of My Cloud. The Doors--Light My Fire. Stevie Wonder--My Cherie Amour. Beach Boys--Good Vibration. Diana Ross & Supremes--Stop In the Name of Love. Fifth Dimension--Aquarius.

Early-mid 1970s: The Guess Who--No Time. The Jackson 5--ABC. Three Dog Night--Joy To the World (not to be confused with the Christmas song by that name). Led Zeppelin--Black Dog. Elton John--Rocket Man. Moody Blues--Nights in White Satin. Stevie Wonder--Superstition. Billy Preston--Will It Go Round In Circles. Pink Floyd--Money. Grand Funk--Loco-Motion. Eric Clapton--I Shot the Sheriff.

Mid-late 1970s: Elton John--Philadelphia Freedom. KC % the Sunshine Band--That's The Way I Like It. The Sylvers--Boogie Fever. Boston--More Than a Feeling. Foreigner--Feels Like the First Time. Eagles--Hotel California. Saturday Night Fever, particularly Bee Gees--Night Fever. Styx--Come Sail Away. Frankie Valli--Grease. Earth Wind & Fire--September. Billy Joel--My Life. Foreigner--Hot Blooded. Michael Jackson--Rock With You.

Early-mid 1980s: Pink Floyd--Another Brick in the Wall. Olivia Newton-John--Magic. Dolly Parton--9 to 5. Moody Blues--The Voice. The Police--Every Little Thing She Does is Magic. Hall & Oates--Private Eyes. Kool & the Gang--Get Down On It. Men At Work--Down Under. Michael Jackson--Beat It. Police--Every Breath You Take. Irene Cara--Flashdance. Paul McCartney/Michael Jackson--Say Say Say. ZZ Top--Legs. Don Henley--Boys of Summer.

Mid-late 1980s: USA For Africa--We Are the World. Tears for Fears--Shout. A-Ha--Take On Me. Mike + The Mechanics--All I Need is a Miracle. Huey Lewis & the News--Stuck With You. Whitney Houston--I Wanna Dance With Somebody. Cutting Crew--I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight. Michael Jackson--Bad, Man In the Mirror. Def Lepperd--Hysteria. B-52s--Roam (that's what alternative rock used to sound like).

Early 1990s--Don Henley--New York Minute. Mariah Carey--Vision of Love. TLC--Waterfalls.

Now, you probably won't like every single song on this list--and this is just the mainstream. I didn't list the old-school rap and things like Iron Maiden, Dakken, Dio, and Megadeth that you might well enjoy as well. Or, those disco songs that never made it out of the disco floor into the mainstream.

From this list, one can conclude that there used to be decent music. If you let your teenager listen to these songs, they are probably going to want to find out where there is more where those came from. The 1960s is full of groups that are as entertaining but only had a few hits. Some of the hard rock songs are from a period before alternative rock began to jumble everything up into a mess (and alternative rock used to be quite good--it was called "punk rock" and "new wave" at those times).

All it takes is to let your pre-teens listen to Michael Jackson's Thriller or some of your Beatles collection, and they might just not want to listen to the rubbish on the radio again. They might, with a little help from the Internet, come to appreciate that there is more where those came from. Listening to "'60s Rock" on Rhapsody could unveil a whole new library to your children that they can appreciate when it was the parents that complained about "today's music", and about it being "too loud" and "too decadent", not the children complaining about how wimpy it is.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

How about the entire Brothers in Arms album by Dire Straits...classic! (mid 80's)

Best know track from that was "Money for Nothing"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

60's

Care of cell 44 - the Zombies

Understanding - Small Faces

70's

Axe Victim (the album) - BeBop Deluxe

Ooh La La (the song) - the Faces

80's

Rise - PiL

(I hated the 80's)

90's

Tattooed Millionaire (the song) - Bruce Dickinson

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

40's - Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Charlie Bird, Django Rhinehardt

50's - Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Cadillacs, Chords, Crows, Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison

60's - Leonard Cohen, Kinks, Stones, Doors, Beatles, Hollies, Dion & the Belmonts, Led Zeppelin (#I was the best album, '69!), Velvet Underground

70's, 80's - Sex Pistols, Clash, Crass, Ramones, Black Flag, Cure, Saccharine Trust, Flipper, Butthole Surfers, Meat Puppets, Fang, Stooges, New York Dolls, Minor Threat, Scream, Void, NoMeansNo, Squirrel Bait

90's - Nirvana, Breeders, Sonic Youth, Pixies,

And I'm sorry but the B-52's were NOT alternative music. ahaha.

You also said that alternative music used to be "new wave and punk rock" but you didn't list any of them.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Technically these aren't "songs" because there are no lyrics, but the music is amazing:

• Bach - Cello Suite in G major
    • Beethoven - Adagio Cantabile 2nd movement from his Sonata Pathetique, #8, opus 13.
  • Bella15
    Bella15

Vivaldi - 4 Seasons.

• Lore
    Lore

Ah yes, the 'radio' I remember that.

That concept has pretty much faded from my memory like television commercials and browser ads. . .

Being interrupted for offensively degrading commercials every 20 minutes, hearing the same 10 songs repeated over and over throughout the day. DJs talking through the beginning and ending of the few good songs. (Or worse, singing along to the first little bit.)

Hearing a emergency broadcast TEST which has never in 20 years been useful to me ever. . .

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

By good luck or good management my six children (16 - 25)have pretty much learned to have a critical ear from their old man.

Some stuff that we have enjoyed (very, very loud) together;

Buzzcocks - Singles...,Tension, Love Bites.

Devo- Are We Not Men, Duty...

The Shins - Chutes.... Wincing.

Cranberries - No Need to Argue

System of a Down -

Split Enz - Second Thoughts, Dizrythmia

Crowded House - Temple...

Jonathan Richman - all sorts of his nonsense,

Cat Stevens - Teaser....,Buddha....

Wonderstuff - 8 Legged...,Hup!,

and more recently my 16 Y.O. and I are into ;

Future of the Left

Modest Mouse.

Sorry, WTW, I just realised I was reminiscing more than anything. How about making sure your kids listen to these too

David Bowie -Ziggy Stardust

Neil Young - Harvest

Patti Smith - Easter

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Peter Gabriel - So

Dave Dobbyn - Twist

The Beat - I just Can't Stop It

Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

How did I forget !!!

The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow, Viva Hate, anything

Bigmouth Strikes Again

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I might add that, not only does the radio tend to play the same 40-50 songs all the time, but they cut them short. Granted, it was always a problem. These days, however, I noticed that if one station cuts a song at a particular point once, all stations playing that song always cut the song at the exact same point every time--and the chatter used to be much more entertaining. And contests--I remember when they were actually fun. You get a call, you guess the jackpot, you win--or name the station and the last 2 or 3 songs they played, and win. These days, it's "The 100th caller nationwide wins the prize"--not even worth it.

And the songs they play these days are rubbish. As mentioned before, "rubbish" doesn't mean a song that is dirty or having Satanic messages hidden in them. I really couldn't care less about that. "Rubbish" means a song is so wimpy that most people with a brain would simply turn off the radio and stuff a CD or MP3 player into the machine and play off that.

And I am giving some examples of CDs where you might wish to start from. Most of the songs and albums have passed the test of time, and would run circles around today's radio. I do like Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms", even if a couple of "You must not offend anyone" scumbags have managed to get Money for Nothing banned for a word that is nowadays taken as gay slur. My theory is "Offend no one, and please no one". Which is what has happened to today's music--it offends no one, and is so wimpy that it also pleases no one. Better to have 99.8% enjoying a song and being offended 0.2% of the time than have rubbish that has no meaning.

And, if you are really on a tight budget and can only afford one album, I recommend Michael Jackson's Thriller. Every single song was a hit on some chart, 7 out of 9 songs were Top 10 on the mainstream charts, and the album has sold more copies than any other non-greatest hits record ever (more than 100 million copies). My recommendation to anyone that is still addicted to the rubbish that doesn't even qualify as music, 18 minutes of commercials per hour, and DJ chatter that isn't even mildly entertaining these days, I suggest putting a MP3 file of Michael Jackson's Thriller in their radio--and see whether they wonder where such great music could be coming from on the radio. Clue: It actually was on the radio--back in 1983.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit