Really stupid comment from an elder (and he was completely serious!)

by freshstart 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• freshstart
    freshstart

My husband and this elder in our old congregation used to trade DVDs and such, just letting each other borrow them. They would always return them to each other in a timely manner, no big deal. Well in 2005 they had traded some and about a week after that, a terrible natural disaster hit our area and everyone was displaced and it was a few months before things got settled back down again. I ran into this elder when we finally made it back home and he said "Your husband needs to give my DVDs back! Not returning them could cost him his life at Armaggedon!" Um...what the hell? Instead of asking us if we were ok and how we were doing since the natural disaster, he's worried about his damn DVDs. I guess we shouldn't have let a little thing like being displaced stop us from returning his precious treasures sooner.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Hi freshstart! It sounds like he was making a nervous joke. No excuse, but I can't imagine he was worried about getting the DVD's back. ???

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

He could have been trying to joke with you.

But the problem with elders is their dry sense of humor.

• freshstart
    freshstart

No this elder is the real hard-nose type. I waited for him to laugh or even crack a smile, but nothing. He's the kind that gets all bent out of shape if you underline your answers in pencil instead of highlighter (not joking!) He even called and hounded us until we gave them back. Craziness.

• N.drew
    N.drew

It's too bad you don't have a spy tape of it. It's crazy. An elder??

• freshstart
    freshstart

Yep, and at the time he was the Coord/BOE

• african GB Member
  • freshstart
    freshstart

About the highlighter thing....the "reasoning" on that one was that others would get stumbled if they couldn't see our answers highlighted from where they were sitting. They might think we didn't study so using a pencil to mark was a no-no.

• N.drew
    N.drew

When I was breast feeding my child I would study the Watchtower at the same time. I had one hand to hold the magazine, and the other one to hold the baby. Haha. Do you think they thought I was not spiritual enough? And then when I knew unlining was kind of silly, I didn't do it even though I could. Later, when I wasn't breast feeding any more.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Tell him being an selfish, inconsiderate asshole WILL cost him HIS life at Armageddon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit