"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks Cedars for all the work you have done on this, I think I will resend some of the things I had sent a few months ago after the study takes place.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks insearchoftruth and alfred. I feel I've done very little really. If anything, I'm frustrated at how little press exposure this subject has generated. I managed to get a statement from the charity Refuge contradicting the Society's approach, but not directly condemning it. I'm tempted to publish what they said in their emails to me, which was far more hard-hitting - but I don't want to risk stirring up unwanted trouble that might jeopardize our cause. All we can really do is remind lurkers etc that the Society's approach to domestic violence is wrong and extremely damaging. We need to keep the heat up over the next few days especially.

Cedars

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I gave a talk yesterday about a chosen topic of domestic violence to a group of 20 business professionals who were surpirsed to the point of tears at how widespread a problem this is and what it is like from a victims perspective. To be clear I am not an expert on this topic or have I suffered it.

I sourced some of my understanding from the duluth model (please google it) which has made progress to change the law and intervene in domestic violence - they are a big player in this field and have stood up to be counted.

Perhaps they would be interested in hearing about the WBTS shocking advice?

Any organisation such as the WBTS that has policies which shelter abusers and that educates it's members to accept abuse is very damaging and will have caused deaths. Based on average statistics (1 in 4 UK women will experience domestic violence - stats from Women's Aid) there could be a million victims of the 4 million plus female JW's and many of their abusers may be JW's.

This is a huge issue that the WBTS wants to continue to supress and allow victims to suffer.

Any JW woman who has or is suffering from domestic violence - you are not to blame - seek immediate help from the local authorities such as the police.

mmxiv

• Alfred
    Alfred

THEY CHANGED THE STORY IN THE SPANISH VERSION... STEVE DOES NOT HIT SELMA... HE MERELY GETS "FURIOUS" WITH HER... SEE MY POST UNDER "SCANDALS & COVER-UPS"

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    THEY CHANGED THE STORY IN THE SPANISH VERSION... STEVE DOES NOT HIT SELMA... HE MERELY GETS "FURIOUS" WITH HER... SEE MY POST UNDER "SCANDALS & COVER-UPS"

This is very interesting, my wife has recently switched from an English to a Spanish congregation......

• dinah
    dinah

Completed the survery, Cedars.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks dinah!

*bump*

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Can somebody tell me which type of facepalm to do?

I wake up this morning, turn on my computer, and this thread has already sunk 5 pages down!

Come on folks, it's a simple request. PLEASE keep this thread on the top page at least over the weekend while people are studying their Watchtowers. People need to know that the attitudes promoted in this article are NOT acceptable.

Cedars

• irondork
    irondork

Just finished the survey. The questions were no-brainers except for the first one.

Do you believe that the Governing Body's Writing Department was right to include the above experience in the Feb 2012 Watchtower?

Most respondent's clicked "no". I clicked "yes".

Including or not including the experience in their magazine doesn't change the experience. It still happened and will continue to happen because that is the mindset already in play within the Watchtower organization. By the WTS publicly endorsing this behavior creates precisley the kind of backlash we're seeing here... the kind of attention to the problem the WTS DOES NOT WANT... as evidenced by Alfred's report above that they changed the wording in the spanish edition.

My take is that more good will come from the WTS having yanked it's own panties down in the public square.

• insearchoftruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit