"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

00DAD here is the link again, if not the name of the video is The Reality of Watchtower Advice to Jehovah's Witnesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2DB9jmVzrI

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thank you, dear Governing Body, for this exemplary demonstration of your misogyny and utter disregard of the violence many women face every day. I shared this article with several of my friends (who have no preconceptions or knowledge of what JWs believe), and they are all appalled. I think it gives a fine witness of what a shitty religion I had to spend my childhood in.

Here is an actual transcript of a Skype convo I had a few days ago.

me: a perfect example of how sexist the religion i grew up in was, this was just published this week in the official magazine
    me: look at paragraph 12
    myfriend: oh jeez
    myfriend: i think i just threw up
    me: i know right!
    me: unbelievable
    myfriend: where was that?
    me: it was just published in the official magazine, The Watchtower
    me: it sets doctrine and policy
    myfriend: lol, that's the magazine they ask for back at my door when i said 'i'm not interested, thanks though'
    me: that's the one!
    myfriend: that's actually disgusting
    myfriend: abusive husbands :(

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "One aspect of this that disturbs me to the bone is that this article is not being studied only by adults, but by teens, preteens and children. Yes indeed, they are certainly being inculcated are they not? Directed like arrows from a bow. The girls about being set up to justify (as AnneB does) abuse and the boys are being set up to think that it's not nearly as bad a sin as all that. Hell, they may even conclude that if they'd like their future wives to be more submissive, a punch here and there would do the trick. ......
    ........AND WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN who are witnessing this abuse??? How much more likely are they going to grow up and be abusers or be abused? ..."

Good points, New Chapter...

I have a suggestion - for everyone who attends meetings and owns a cell-phone with video options...

Keep your cell phone handy after this study.

See if you can catch some of the children acting out this study's poison, after the meeting...

POST IT ON THE INTERNET - maybe YouTube?? Show EVERYONE how the Watchtower poison infects upcoming generations!!

[edited...] You'll need to 'block' out the childrens' faces, but I'm sure that the point will come across, loud and clear...

Zid

• agonus
    agonus

I think we've reached a tipping point here, folks. ;-)

Got a feeling it's only a matter of time now.

Let's see how long we can keep this thread going. Shall we go for a record here, folks?

This is going to be my last - and possibly most important - post for a while. Going to channel my energy into more creative and productive outlets. ;-)

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Interestingly, in the Swedish version of the Watchtower, the story is rendered somewhat differently. The part about hitting is omitted, so the reader is left to the impression that "only" verbal abuse was involved.

The Norwegian and Danish versions, however, have a literal translation of the account on Steve and his wife.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Let's see how long we can keep this thread going.

There is value in keeping this thread going, if the comments are germane to the issue, I think this is the sort of thread that someone who comes upon this site via a google search would find eye opening.

Very interesting the change in translation for some of the editions, doesn't the WTS praise itself for preaching the SAME message to all of its followers?

• undercover
    undercover

if the comments are germane to the issue

The Goddamn Germans got nuthin' to do wit' it!

3:45 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3c64j2DPE

• undercover
    undercover

OK, back on topic:

I am curious if anyone has gotten replies from any of the women's groups/agencies that the article was sent to.

To me, this article/attitude is more newsworthy than the "mentally diseased" article that actually did make headlines.

• sir82
    sir82

Interestingly, in the Swedish version of the Watchtower, the story is rendered somewhat differently. The part about hitting is omitted, so the reader is left to the impression that "only" verbal abuse was involved.

The Norwegian and Danish versions, however, have a literal translation of the account on Steve and his wife.

Very interesting. That's a pretty significant difference. It makes you wonder if the translating committees have "liberal" or "hardliner" leanings.

Or, maybe, if certain governments would be more inclined to impose sanctions on the WTS & its properties in certain countries.

I.e., is the difference in translation due to personal preference of the translators, or is there an "order from above" in certain countries to water down the message?

• undercover
    undercover

...is the difference in translation due to personal preference of the translators, or is there an "order from above" in certain countries to water down the message?

That's a good question. The "mentally diseased" quote got them in hotter water in European nations because of stronger laws on hate speech. Do some European countries have stronger laws or attitudes when it comes to spousal abuse?

And if the WTS knew this and had the quote "watered down" in order to not create issues locally in those areas, it shows an attitude that is even more sinister than what is on the surface in reading the English version.

Which then shows that the attitude isn't just an out-of-date way of thinking, or even a misplaced sense of loyalty to God's marital arrangement, it makes the WTS culpable in the injuries, and even deaths, of women who stayed in abusive relationships at the WTS' behest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit