"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by yourmomma 449 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

So on a much more serious note to the one I posted previously,this religion does nothing to protect /help/encourage women, of low self esteem,or are vulnerable ,for one reason or another , to abusive husbands,to get help and get them away from the plight they are in,rather they would just get the abused women to put up with it until he ,if ever, sees the" truth" according to the watchtower Society.

The fact of the matter is : any male that beats his wife is not a christian.....No sorry.... Any male that beats his wife is NOT A MAN

smiddy

• cedars
    cedars

Good for you wha happened - I'm glad your wife responded in some way to your concern over the article. If nothing else, it should speak volumes that you are reading articles "hot off the press" with more fervour than normal Witnesses, and therefore taking matters seriously. Hopefully your conversation will have highlighted how easy it would be to get "blind sided" by this sort of rhetoric, i.e. if this would slip past most people's radar at the meeting, what other repulsive rhetoric are people missing in the publications?

As I mentioned before, I emailed the PDF to two womens charities in the UK. Here is what I said:

To whom it may concern,

I am emailing you as a concerned Jehovah's Witness who is aware of, and sensitive to, the widespread abuse of women domestically.

I thought you should be aware of a magazine article that has just been published by my religion's leadership. I have attached a PDF of the article with this email.

You may notice that on page 29, paragraph 12, and experience is given of a woman who is beaten by her non-believing husband while she is studying with Jehovah's Witnesses. The experience relates how the woman is taught by her Witness mentor that she is at least partly responsible for her husband's attack on her because she was not adequately displaying the Christian values described in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.

I represent a number of Jehovah's Witnesses who are growing increasingly dismayed at the out-dated and insensitive advice that is published by our religion's heirachy regarding these matters. Many of us are trapped within the religion because we are basically threatened with being banished from our families if we don't recognise the authority of our organisation's leadership.

I hope you don't mind my bringing your attention to this awful, insensitive and inflammatory article, which betrays a huge lack of sympathy for women who have to endure domestic violence on a regular basis. I felt it was important to send this to you as a charity that is actively working to promote safety for women.

If you need any further information regarding this article, or the track record of Jehovah's Witnesses in relation to issues of abuse against women or children, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

I'm publishing the above in case it might serve as some kind of template for others to notify similar charities or organisations in their respective countries.

This should be publicized. We let the "mentally diseased" artcile slip past us until the very last minute. I think we should be quicker in responding to this latest outrage.

Cedars

• ziddina
    ziddina

Excellent letter, Cedars!!

I wonder if any of the press might be interested in this piece???

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Wayyyyyy to go Cedars!!!!!

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "this religion does nothing to protect /help/encourage women, of low self esteem,or are vulnerable ,for one reason or another ..."

Along with Smiddy's next comment, I'd like to add that the Watchtower Corporation actually "grows" such a crop of women with low self esteem and men with a domineering attitude towards them... Sets women up to be victims of violence and sexual crimes, then blames THEM for being the victims...

I was amazed when I was a kid, at the attitude that an elder I knew personally, displayed towards a young rape victim, who was told by the elders that she "would have been able to fight her attacker off", if she'd just kept wiggling... [extreme face/palm slap, here...]

Later, I realized that in an environment where women are taught that they are inferior, taught to obey every edict coming from the mouths of a certain group of men, taught that they are to ask "how high" when told to 'jump' by their husbands, the elders, the Watchtower Corporation...

How COULD a woman resist, when raised in an environment where her own internal guides to her value and worth were TOTALLY DESTROYED, and she was taught ABSOLUTE OBEDIENCE to ALL the male figures in her life???

Hell, under those conditions, all a man would have to do, is ORDER the woman to submit, and most would be so beaten/battered down psychologically that they'd tend to blindly obey...

You can bet that's how many a pedophile elder and/or brother in the congregation were able to prey on so many victims with so little trouble to themselves...

Zid

• cedars
    cedars

I think on this occasion we should try the charity route first, because the work of these charities involves garnering publicity regarding these matters. It would be better to pass the information on to them and see what they do with it, before pondering our next move. That's just my idea, but if anyone wants to go straight to the papers, go right ahead!

Cedars

• agonus
    agonus

I think I need to stay away from this site for a while. My hackles are starting to freeze in the raised position (and I'm not even sure what hackles are).

I have a feeling I'm giving them exactly the kind of response they crave.

Maybe I should just knock it off, ignore them, and let the damn thing just self-destruct from afar.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"hackles" - the hair on the back of an animal's neck, such as a wolf, dog, cat, which tend to raise up when the animal is excited, esp. in fear or anger....

That's not from the dictionary, but.... It's what I've always heard...

• cedars
    cedars

agonus - I feel for you. It does get very frustrating and depressing in the minds of sincere, rightly-disposed people such as yourself when you dwell on these things too much. However, I honestly think that we will always need your sort around to try to highlight how atrocious this stuff is, even if only on this forum. I think it is inevitable that the Watchtower Society as we know it will implode one day, or drastically reduce in size and scope. However, it won't happen if we all "down tools" and do absolutely nothing. There needs to be some external pressure, if only to help things happen sooner than they otherwise would.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Thank you, Cedars, for your example letter!! We must all do this as soon as possible!! Even, before the JWs have their WT study so they can hear and read about this before that meeting. I hope this wakes up more than a 'sprinkling' of female JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit