Regarding Compent Use Of The Bible In Field Service. JWs or XJWs Only Please.

by AvocadoJake 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Dear Brothers and Sisters, I watched a disturbing video on Youtube of this born-againer beating the hell out of some old timers in Utah( I think.) and his conduct was hideous, not christlike one bit. The question I pose to you is this, how many JWs were you truly impressed by their use of the Bible? Those who did not have to look in the reference in the back to find a scriptuer. Those who knew exactly where a scripture was and qouted it correctly. The video I watched made me want to cry, the poor old brothers and sisters got hammered, did not know where the scriptures were. My best friend who is no longer a JW, was the best, at age 30 he had the Bible memorized, knew all three of Flavious Joe's works, and loved Thayer and Matthew Henry's works, Milton..... and could he qoute verbitim, all of these works. Not to mention most of the Watchtower publications he actually read, which bothered some of the sleepy hired hands (Not Shepherd, Don't deserve to be called that.). I truly wonder how many elders and elderettes sit down, study for two hours a day, the Word of God. What was your experiences with using the Bible, if no Reasoning book was available?

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Are you sure The Bible is "The Word of God"?

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

The word of who?

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

...and to be fair, this was always a pet peeve of mine before I was woken up. I would venture to say that the vast majority of Jehovah's Witnesses have never even read The Bible from cover-to-cover, or even The New Testament, let alone be 'skilled' at using it to convince anyone of anything.

Most Jehovah's Witnesses just learn enough about The Bible to defend the doctrine specific to the group, rather than learning the Scriptures intimately.

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

"

...and to be fair, this was always a pet peeve of mine before I was woken up. I would venture to say that the vast majority of Jehovah's Witnesses have never even read The Bible from cover-to-cover, or even The New Testament, let alone be 'skilled' at using it to convince anyone of anything.

The new generation is becoming even worse at reading the Bible, and look like ding-a-lings at the doors, Dooh!

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Most Jehovah's Witnesses just want to get away from the door as fast as possible. Taking the time to educate someone with Scripture counters that goal. In my experience, they'd rather get magazines into the hands of the house-holder, and get back in the car before they can be turned down. This way, they can relate about what an awesome experience they had in Service, and can pretend "this person is really interested in The Truth!" Then, unfortunately for them, they never 'catch' the person home again.

• alanv
    alanv

They have certain scriptures they know very well, as they are regularly used at the meetings. However the vast majority of the bible never gets used by them. I know my use of the bible was very limited when I was a JW.

• meni
    meni

Advocados are full of oil, you still have some oil yourself, psalm 133 v2 "disturbing video" "hideous conduct" beating the hell out of 2 old jws,.If there is something there the oil will flow,the born again was having his measure with the very sort he should respect, whatever their religion. Jehovah is interesting , you can guarantee that guy will receive in full his measure back , and he will not count his days as to Why? Psalm90 v12 It will be just out of his memory, James 1v24

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

i can quote over 100 verses........ so what? memorizing them is a waste of time

• blondie
    blondie

There is a reason that the NWT has topical bible sermons in the back of the book and the WTS "pushes" keeping the reasoning book in your bag and periodically has parts on the service meeting showing how to use it. jws at best are single verse users. They find it hard to counter the reasoning and scriptures used by non-jws and retreat to saying they will check into that and come back, if they do come back, it is usually with a jw that feel is a bible expert.

The theocractic school is useless in training jws how to use the bible. Women rarely on on the school more than 2 times a year and men now have parts where all they do is read material from the WT study article.

I grew up in the time when the scripture inspired book came out and was studied at the TMS and this was rotated in again a couple of more times. jws in the last ten years have not even opened that book

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit