should there be a national coming out day for JWs leaving the borg?

by zengalileo 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• zengalileo
    zengalileo

I got the idea from what Harvey Milk did for the gay movement. I am tired of hearing these stories about people staying JWs while scared to admit they don't believe in it anymore. If you saw the movie Milk, then you know the argument. If everybody comes out then almost every JW family will know someone who has left. A percentage of those families will not cut off their sons so strictly, and continued association may soften JWs, some of them/ Also, it takes courage to be open about leaving. So people who live a lie for the sake of making life easier and holding onto their family are lacking courage. Courage is what they need. And if your relationships are propped up on a lie, an imaginaty bond dependent on your current daily performance, then your whole life is a sham and you are very much to be pitied.

Those who are staying in a secretly being subversive nand trying to infiltrate the jws to get them out are also living a lie. while I appreciate those who do this on one level, cuz they can get us things beinf on the inside and they can report to us goings on, I still wish all who are mentally out would just be brave and make an announcement to everyone in their life about what you really believe. So stop playing games with jws. just leave, and if they can't accept you the way you are then to hell with them. they are not worth saving.

• wobble
    wobble

Yay ! we XJW's are the new gays ! That's cool, especially for those of us who are gay !

Good idea I think, if only we could make it happen.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Why "national"?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Wouldn't it be better to teach doubters how to take their families out with them?

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Zen, You have a PM

SIAM

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

This is a good idea. However, like you say, it requires courage. I personally believe that you can't come out until the time is right. Otherwise, you might be tempted to go right back in. Since JW's are a global group, I wouldn't make this national but international. But yes it should be an annual day. It may take time for it to make an impact but eventually it would be well known among JWs. If we're not ready to come out yet, we could just wait until next year's day and do it then.

• JWStruggle
    JWStruggle

Zen - I like your idea. I would love to see it happen.

However it is easy to urge stealth Witnesses to "come out" and "be brave" and to even condemn them for not doing it in the way that you feel they should. But if their entire network of family and friends are JWs, it can be extremely difficult to just quit. For some Witnesses even their employer and their financial livelihood is tied up in the movement.

So to make someone feel guilty for not being able to put their entire life on the chopping block is unfair IMO. To say that " people who live a lie for the sake of making life easier and holding onto their family are lacking courage" is your opinion, but it is also a gross oversimplification of the agonizing moral dilemma many of us find ourselves in.

Some can do it, but many cannot. This is part of the reason that the WT shunning doctrine is so effective as you know. Please continue to help people to get out of the WTO...but please don't beat us over the head if we don't get out as quickly or as decisively as you think we should.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I still wish all who are mentally out would just be brave and make an announcement to everyone in their life about what you really believe. So stop playing games with jws. just leave, and if they can't accept you the way you are then to hell with them. they are not worth saving.

This is playing the game by their rules. It is what they want you to do. They want their members to recognise who the enemy is so that they can stick their fingers in their ears and chant every time they try to speak to them

Undercover apostates are the Watchtower's worst nightmare. They are still in a position where they can sow seeds of doubt. Criticizing them is doing the bOrg a favour. I don't do the bOrg any favours.

• designs
    designs

zen- Start your own OWS type movement and see how it grows, never know till tried.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I can see both sides of this. In fact, this is not a new idea. I and others have mentioned something similar several times.

Though Black Sheep makes a good point, I think it would hurt the Borg more by becoming more and more public and organized with our opposition. He's correct that it probably wouldn't affect those IN in a way we would like because it would reinforce their perception of "opposers" and increase their paranoia that the enemy is in their midst.

However, we could hurt the WT more overall by such public movements that would A)educate the public about the Borg, discouraging and reducing the number of converts; and B)educate the DFd, DAd, and faded ones who still believe it's "the truth" and are still living under a measure of cult mind control so that they never return to the cult.

What I would like to see is a specific date set aside each year that faders and undercover dissidents who plan to leave that year, ALL leave on that same date. I wouldn't like to encourage any of the conscious class to leave before they're ready, for the reasons Black Sheep gives in this thread, BUT IF you are going to walk out on the Borg, why not walk out on the SAME DATE as the rest of the conscious leavers each year?

I would suggest Nisan 14 as the date.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit