The Reach Out WT Article, I don't know whether to scream or to laugh

by Quarterback 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I held off long enough in reading the WT article for the study in January. There is was, two articles about reaching out for the office of Elder.

After finishing the article my reaction to it was anger. They made it seem that there is something wrong with you if you don't reach out in this way.

Our congregation has more deleted Elders than active Elders. Many of the deleted Elders have stepped down due to very good noble reasons, such as health, time with family, burn out, disagreements of procedures, and some valid but not extreme problems. Very few have attempted to pursue that office again.

I have yet to see this ORG recognize such men for their years of dedication, service, sacrifices, hard work throughout many years. It's like the field service rule....so you did that much last month, what are you doing now? Forget the past, it didn't happen.

Just venting here, sorry

• ziddina
    ziddina

Your anger is totally understandable...

The Watchtower Corporation clearly shows its greedy, graspng, corporate nature in the way it devours people with nary a grateful nod or gesture of thanks for their sacrifices...

Zid

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Quarterback. You bring up a good point that their are deleted elders out their who are not jerks. Do the elders, who are jerks, advance in the WTBTS and elders, who are filled with the Holy Spirit, step-down? The WTBTS' organizational policies and culture would be a classic case-study for an MBA class on what not to do. I wonder how the wTBTS has lasted as long as it has, because of all the deleted elders and lack of recognition of a job well done for JWs.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• talesin
    talesin

QB

It's like, once you start to see the hypocrisy, it gets harder and harder to swallow the BS. And you get angrier with each time ... very difficult.

tal

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

The same attitude the b-world has "What have you done for me this Month." The C.A. we had a few months ago went like this, the CO says "How many of you want to become an elder?" I am not lying, four or five men held their hands up, out of two thousand plus (I think it was 2600.) in there. So what is that telling you about the state of affairs, they are unable to sale their goods or people are sick of broken promises? The word used to describe Fred Frantz "Cloister" can be applied to all who don't have to work full-time or have families or have time to mentally play with prophecy all day. The COs, DOs and those above, have no clue what a real life is, and hand out an illusion of a good life (elder). Elders get burned out, get tired of the useless rules and regulations, tired of dealing their peers, who can behave like dingos and vultures.

• JAFO
    JAFO
    tired of dealing their peers, who can behave like dingos and vultures.

On behalf of innocent dingos and vultures everywhere, I must protest this unjust comparison...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Tis naught but a high control pyramid scheme.

they boast that god isn't unfaithful as to forget your works (or something along those lines) and yet you can labour for years on end in the WBT$, doing more than all the elders put together. But.........one lil' mistake or get caught smoking a doobie in a moment of weakness and your finished! All those years are flushed away.

What I've seen is it's not what you know but who you know. I've seen double dealing elders' sons become MS then elders even though they've been absolute pigs. at the same time I've seen genuine lads get overlooked, ignored or ridiculed while the elders's ons take all the glory.

It's not 'the truth', neither is it the one true faith. You can see it by the way it operates. It's an antichrist sham.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I think it's terrible that when an elder steps down or is deleted, most of the time, it is left to rumour and mere speculation as to why they left. Most of the time it is negative. Why should they leave that God-ordained position? There is no POSSIBLE reason!

In gereral, as has been stated in the past, there are a lot less young people interested in this religion. The young people are the ones they need to fill the roles as the older ones become TOO old or just plain die. I think their running out of ideas to get them to reach out so they have to, as usual, run the "guilt-trip" to keep them in line.

@PUNKOFNICE: What I've seen is it's not what you know but who you know. I've seen double dealing elders' sons become MS then elders even though they've been absolute pigs. at the same time I've seen genuine lads get overlooked, ignored or ridiculed while the elders's ons take all the glory.

HA! My brother is a prime example. Like many of the MS's, he play Modern Warfare 3 in his spare time, making about 3 hours a month. Granted, he gives good talks. But if my father wasn't an elder, I'm pretty sure he would have had to work a lot harder for the poistion.

• sir82
    sir82

The WTS has a big problem with lack of elders now, and it will get progressively worse as the decades roll on.

Very few youngsters have any interest in becoming a ministerial servant, which of course is where the elders are selected from. And the few who do manage to get the "promotion" to MS are not inclined to do much more than show up for their meeting parts are scribble in 10 hours a month.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here's what is involved in being a hounder:

First, you are accountable for all the problems in the congregation. Suppose you are the new hounder, and in your first month the congregation hours have dropped 10% or more (never mind that part of that was that it was February and there was a blizzard with a meter or more of snow, and temperatures near -40. The hounder-hounder shows up, and you are the first one to get it. They chew out all the hounders, who are now expected to find out why the hours are down. Now, you are required to come up with solutions, implementing what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger says. You are about 85% true, but you have one little original idea. Of course, March is warmer and milder--and longer, and field circus is back up to normal. Now, you are going to get ripped--for not obeying the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger 100%.

You are also responsible for the "cleanness(??)" of everyone in the congregation. You are expected to deal with calls at 3 in the morning about someone masturbating. You will deal with situations where people are not donating enough, perhaps because of materialism. You will have to find out what is driving such materialism and root it out. If someone listens to "bad" music, you are the one that has to fix it. Usually, you come out looking like a complete dork, driving away everyone because you have to hound them for listening to "bad" songs that really aren't all that bad. If children aren't out in field circus, you are responsible for hounding the parents--perhaps because they are not really all the way in.

There is additional work. Usually, it's the hounders that have to do administrative work at the Kingdumb Hells. They compile accounts, they fill out field circus slips, they take accounts for new publishers, they handle people moving in and out of the territory, they handle the talks and most of the parts, they assign the parts, they handle the Washtowel study, and they are the ones to step up and donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund if no one else will. And they are required to be out in field circus, no matter what, if their turn comes up to handle it. They also have to set examples--if they listen to a "bad" song, it might "stumble" 50 people rather than the 2 or 3 that a regular witless might. They answer to the hounder-hounders, who are not generally nice people (and even more so lately), when things go wrong.

For all this, what is the benefit? For most decent people, nothing. You are not going to get more than one everlasting life if you are a pious-sneer, a hounder, or go to Beth Hell. More prestige? Hardly--you are as likely to lose out by ruining the joy of people when you inform them that a song is "bad" and they cannot listen to it or that they can't move to New Zealand because Nigeria is where the "need is greater". Only the power freaks and pedophiles find anything worthwhile in staying in this position: Power freaks can ruin others' lives, and pedophiles can molest children on the pretext of a shepherding call.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit