What was one of the most difficult Scripture for you to understand?

by jam 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Stephen!

So nice to see you again!

Palm

• Chalam
    Chalam

You too Palm! Just dropping by to say hello and write a few post.

Hope you are doing well :)

Love Stephen xx

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Christian tradition teaches that Jesus descended into hell and preached to the dead. There is no scriptural proof. I am fairly certain that Judaism did not teach that souls floated around a place called hell. The belief of souls in heaven is Greek.

My scripture is when Jesus says expressly that no one will know the hour. Yet I grew up with a multitude of dates.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Mark 9:38-40

Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”

But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. For he who is not against us is on ourside.

---------------------

My question always was, how could witnesses claim to be the only source of true religion, when even Jesus didn't feel that way. I always struggled with the idea that the organization, as imperfect as it was, was better than all the people of the earth who followed the bible, but not the watchtower.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I struggled for years with that question. I was the only Jehovah's Witness in my extended family. I knew about people who were not JW but who exhibited Christian qualities better then myself, and many witnesses I knew. I'm glad I understand it now!

I have not seen you post before! May I say WELCOME BACK Paralipomenon!

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Any scripture that can be interpreted as either literal or symbolic, ie: Ezekial 38 or the majority of Revelation. JW's tend to mix interpretations, ie: the 144,000 is a literal number of "anointed Christians" while Christendom interprets it to be a literal number of Jews...the bulk of Revelation JW's read as symbolic while Christendom sees the majority as literal events. Same with Ezekial 38, JW's see it as symbolic and Christendom interprets it as literal. It was very confusing to me as a JW when I was asked to defend our interpretation, especially by a knowledgeable Born Again. They would feel we were very inconsistent with interpretation.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I really couldn't see the big deal over the 1290, 1335, or the 2300 days...I understood the explanation given, but it seems a much ado about nothing.... Reading Crisis of Conscience, I could finally understand why! These ideas were from Fred Franz who gave us 1975 and a whole bunch of other wacky ideas...

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    For me, 1 Peter 4;6 "For this is why the gospel was
    preached even to the DEAD, that though judged in
    the flesh like men, they might live in the spirit like God."
    Preach to the dead, how?

I agree. I still don't understand this one.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Genesis 30:37-39. This is just totally bizarre. Jacob wanted his herd to have stripes and speckles so what he thought could achieve this was that if he put a sheet with painted patterns in front of the animals when they mate, they will bear offspring with patterns... and guess what?? IT WORKED!! ok... how do they explain that?? This is ridiculous to a scientifically-minded individual, isn't it? Like water turning into wine, or a man walking on water, or words quieting a storm, or a person having no fear of death.

• tec
    tec

NIV version:

For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit