sorry...but how do they not notice???

by oompa 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Using "Jehovah" would help people to not mix things up and think that Baal, Molech, Ra or any other "god" might be spoken of in the passage. ..."

Mfphfhhh!!!

Ah, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

I point that out to my JW boyfriend a lot, particularly the fact that "Jehovah" isn't even anywhere in the New Testament. Oh, and the fact that the Jews didn't use "Yahweh" much either out of respect for the holiness of the name. But nope, they gotta say it all the time! I also think it's funny that it's very easy to research the fact that a lot of the scriptures are changed just because they disagree with what they say. One look at a real interlinear Bible and it exposes the nonsense.

BF doesn't seem to care, though... His answer is always, "Well, ALL Bibles have translating errors and promote their own ideas. The rest of them were written by Trinitarians!" So obviously the Trinitarians fabricated John 20:28. (He didn't actually say that, but he may as well have. )

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The reason this was done was more than likely the organization's deliberate attempt to differentiate itself from main stream Christendom.

They have all got it wrong but we have it all right, were so confident of this will print are own bibles with the needed corrections.

When the IBSA took on the name of the JWS it became even more importance for the organization to make a clear defining distinction.

In my opinion it was the organization's expressive intension to correctly identify who was god and who was the son of god.

"Thats why we took on the name of the JWS in the first place to correct the false teachings of Christendom".

Just my 2 cents.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I've never really had a problem with it. Using the name clarified things a bit.

The real problem is the conflict with Watchtower teachings. They teach that God protects "His Word" and then they teach that a great apostasy occurred to remove all references to (the Greek version of the Hebrew word) "Jehovah" that were there when the Greek scriptures were written originally.

The fact remains that they teach their members to take seriously the warning at the end of Revelation not to add to the "Word" yet they have added "Jehovah" to the Word. No matter how you strain to justify the NWT, there is absolutely no evidence that this name of God was ever in any original Greek writings known to be the New Testament.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Here's part of an Appendix to something I wrote a while back. It deals with Jehovah's day and Christ's day:

In the LXX and CGS we encounter the phrase ?μ?ρα κυρ?ου “day of the Lord”. Contrary to common expectation, this phrase cannot always be equated with the “day of Jehovah”, i.e., Judgement Day. During this critical period, Jehovah will manifest his glory and might, destroy his enemies, and bring salvation to his people. This is an accute crisis, whereas “Christ’s day”, closely linked to his parousia, consists of an age or epoch.

In 2 Thes. 2:1, 2 the primary concern is the parousia of Christ and therefore the definitive manifestation of his glory. Obviously in Paul, as in the Gospels, and Revelation, Christ is the Lord of this ?μ?ρα . It is true that in Thes. we find only ?μ?ρα κυρ?ου , but in 1 and 2 Cor. this is sometimes enlarged to ?μ?ρα το? κυρ?ου ?με?ν ?ησο? , while in Phil. we have the simpler ?μ?ρα Χριστο? [?ησο?] (cf. TDNT, vol. II, pp. 951, 952).

The context of 2 Thes. 2:1, 2 points to Christ's day. See v. 1. Here the "day of Jehovah" is wrong.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The JW attention span is very short. Throw a shiny object their way and they will forget all about those pesky contradictions!

• sir82
    sir82

The primary JW justification for inserting "Jehovah" into the NT is that various translations of the NT from Greek or Latin into Hebrew, from the 13th - 18th century AD, did the same. See the NWT large-print appendix for their reasoning.

Apparently, if it's good enough for orthodox Jews, it's good enough for the WTS! Except for the orthodox Jewish view of blood transfusions, eating kosher, observing the sabbath....hmmm, well, come to think of it, 100% of orthodox Jewish belief is pretty bad.

Except for inserting "Jehovah"! Those guys were geniuses with that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit