I have always wondered how is Armaggeddon going to happen?

by booker-t 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• booker-t
    booker-t

I have always wondered if Jehovah and Jesus are going to announce to the world that Armaggeddon has arrived or will people just guess that it is Armaggeddon or will there be a newsflash that the world has entered Armaggeddon. The bible seems to contradict on Armaggeddon. Jesus says that Armaggeddon will come as a "thief" in the night. This seems to indicate "silence/quiet" Armaggeddon. But Jesus also says that the moon will not give off light and the stars will fall from heaven. This certainly cannot be a queit event. And if every eye will see Jesus coming in the clouds how can Jesus make the statement that it will be like a thief in the night? If I wake up at night and see a man with a gun breaking into my house this cannot be a quiet event. I am just curious to what other posters feel about this subject. Please no JW bashing or Born Again Christian bashing just your opinion.

• bohm
    bohm

Armageddon has the same evidential status as other myths of destruction like Ragnerok. Do you speculate what Ragnerok will affect your life?

there, no bashing

• ziddina
    ziddina

Excellent reply, Bohm...

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think you would find it entertaining to see how others, throughout history, have interpreted the Book of Revelations.

A History of the End of the World: How the Most Controversial Book in the Bible Changed the Course of Western Civilization [Hardcover]

Jonathan Kirsch (Author)
    </form>

Book Description

Publication Date: August 22, 2006

"[The Book of] Revelation has served as a "language arsenal" in a great many of the social, cultural, and political conflicts in Western history. Again and again, Revelation has stirred some dangerous men and women to act out their own private apocalypses. Above all, the moral calculus of Revelation—the demonization of one's enemies, the sanctification of revenge taking, and the notion that history must end in catastrophe—can be detected in some of the worst atrocities and excesses of every age, including our own. For all of these reasons, the rest of us ignore the book of Revelation only at our impoverishment and, more to the point, at our own peril."

The mysterious author of the Book of Revelation (or the Apocalypse, as the last book of the New Testament is also known) never considered that his sermon on the impending end times would last beyond his own life. In fact, he predicted that the destruction of the earth would be witnessed by his contemporaries. Yet Revelation not only outlived its creator; this vivid and violent revenge fantasy has played a significant role in the march of Western civilization.

Ever since Revelation was first preached as the revealed word of Jesus Christ, it has haunted and inspired hearers and readers alike. The mark of the beast, the Antichrist, 666, the Whore of Babylon, Armageddon, and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are just a few of the images, phrases, and codes that have burned their way into the fabric of our culture. The questions raised go straight to the heart of the human fear of death and obsession with the afterlife. Will we, individually or collectively, ride off to glory, or will we drown in hellfire for all eternity? As those who best manipulate this dark vision learned, which side we fall on is often a matter of life or death. Honed into a weapon in the ongoing culture wars between states, religions, and citizenry, Revelation has significantly altered the course of history.

Kirsch, whom the Washington Post calls "a fine storyteller with a flair for rendering ancient tales relevant and appealing to modern audiences," delivers a far-ranging, entertaining, and shocking history of this scandalous book, which was nearly cut from the New Testament. From the fall of the Roman Empire to the Black Death, the Inquisition to the Protestant Reformation, the New World to the rise of the Religious Right, this chronicle of the use and abuse of the Book of Revelation tells the tale of the unfolding of history and the hopes, fears, dreams, and nightmares of all humanity.

Show Less
  • 00DAD
    00DAD

It will happen invisibly of course, just like Jesus' presence. It may have already occurred and you missed it! (Me too so don't worry. We're all dead, but don't know it so it's all good.)

BTW, I've informed the Local Elders that I am now attending meetings and going out in service just as my leader Jesus takes the lead: Invisibly.

The fact that you don't see me is how you know I'm there!

Oh, and if you're wondering, I informed them telepathically by means of The Holy Spirit. If they don't get the message, then that's proof that they aren't really spiritual men.

• irondork
    irondork

booker-t: Jesus says that Armaggeddon will come as a "thief" in the night. This seems to indicate "silence/quiet" Armaggeddon.

I never thought of it like that. I always figured the "thief in the night" was a reference to our inability to predict what night the thief would arrive rather than an inability to detect him once he got there.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Jesus says that Armaggeddon will come as a "thief" in the night. This seems to indicate "silence/quiet" Armaggeddon.

No, that's not what the parable was driving at; it is the unexpectedness and suddenness of the coming. It will come as a surprise to those who do not expect it. No one normally expects that a thief is going to break into the house when one goes to bed at night. And one who is asleep isn't aware of the intruder until the intruder is already there. If you look at the other parables presented in the Olivet discourse, they emphasize the same thing: the surprising nature of the parousia itself. There is no advance warning of the timing of the coming; the celestial signs accompany the coming of the Son of Man; they do not precede it. And one cannot stay up every night and be ready for the intruder because sleep is necessary in order to be alert. But one can still be prepared. That is the point of the foolish virgins parable: one may fall asleep but be prepared with the lamp oil needed when the event finally occurs. The same point is made in the reference to Jesus coming as a thief in Revelation 16:15. One may stay awake in wait for the thief, but at least be clothed in case you fall alseep. The last thing you want to be is naked and and you have to be distracted by finding your clothes when there is an intruder to confront.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I have a theory.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jaheshua means Jah is salvation. (AGuest can explain it a thousand time s better then me, all about names). Each of us can draw close to God. God becomes our salvation as we draw close to Him.

The world killed Jaheshua. Where there is a physical body there is a spiritual (believe it or not, I do). All the world (perhaps "this generation") pictured as ONE body. The one body (world) has one spirit (it is wicked). The ONE wicked spirit of the world (one body, one spirit) killed the agent of life. He is not dead, because God resurrected him. But he is dead to the world. But not dead to "believers".

How will he "come" to the world? He won't. Because he is dead to the world. How will "every eye see him"? They will see the destruction (their own, not by God) that the the chief agent of life could not avert, because he is dead to the world.

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

when I was young... younger haha I used to have these crazy intense vivid dreams and some nightmares about armageddon happenning.

And it ranged from me and my then best friend preaching in some rural territory on a mountain when all of the sudden the ground starts shaking and it gets dark and then rocks start falling from the sky and big balls of fire and we run into a cave and then a huge plane falls down and crashes and burns and we see a white light brighter than the sun shine and come closer. Then me and my bestie get covered in this weird blueish glow and we are saved and theres people burning alive runing and screaming like crazy and birds eating babies alive too while we just stand there and watch. Ugh what disgusting things the religion stuck in my young head...

Then there were the weird random twilight zone ones where we would be just walking in the street and theres all kinds of people both young and old just living when all of the sudden we hear a big huge sound of thunder in the sky, yet theres no clouds, and then we hear something breaking in the sky and the sun turned red orange, and you could look at it yet the sky was still blue... then small little white dots appear in the sky and they seem to be falling, no, more like floating down and they look like glowing snowflakes. Then when they get closer we realize that they are snowflakes that are incased in a bubble, and then we all look as several people stick their fingers to the sky and touche these bubble, expecting them to burst. But they dont. At least not at first.

Then on one of the girls, the bubble pops slowly like in slo-mo and the snowflake turns into a feather, and then the feather dissolves inside her finger and the girl giggles and gets this high look on her face and is filled with the kind of smile you see on that chick on the "you can live forever in paradise" brochure.

But then this other guy who also had a bubble looks puzzled. Then again the bubble pops in slow-mo except this time the snowflake turns into a needle, and then the needle gets inside of the guy through his finger and out the back of his arm then back in through his chest and out his leg, the inside the other leg and finally it comes out of his forehead. With blood and guts and screaming everywhere. Then the guy falls and is dead before he hits the ground. I was afraid to stick my finger up but a force grabbed my hand like a magnet and made me do it, and of course I was a feather!

God I sound like a psychopath! So you get my point. Snowflake = JW. Needle=Non JW.

But the last time I dreamed of armaggeddon, I was mentally out, and it was like that scene from after tomorrow with the tornados going through L.A. And I was at work with this really hot girl and then I looked at her and said "I think we're gonna die" as the ground started shaking. And then she said "NO! I cant die!" And the thoughtfull caring me holds her tight and says, "Why not??" And she says, "cause Im still a virgin!" And then I'm all like (Johnny Bravo Face) And say "Oh dont worry I'll take care of that!" And then you get the rest of the picture...

Come to think of it, I've enjoyed armaggeddon more when I'm not a Witness... Hehe...

-OneDayillBeFree

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    the stars will fall from heaven.

The stars are attracted to earth by it's gravity??????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit