Is it okay for JW to attend college with religious affliations?

by Iamallcool 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Knew of one JW who went to Dallas Theolgocial Seminary.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I know an elder who's son transferred to Notre Dame for his final credits so his diploma would be from a prestigious school. They didn't seem to have a problem with it, although only close friends were aware of it, they didn't want it publicized to the general rank & file.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

In Canada, most hospitals, and schools that have Religious affiliations, are managed by the Government. That changed in the late 70's.

So it wouldn't be looked down upon. Just be careful about that higher learning, eh

• aristeas
    aristeas

I know a sister who works at a religious college. She is loyal, zealous, and so on—a true believer. I'd rather not mention any names or the college's affiliaiton so that she doesn't get in trouble with some crazy power-hungry nutty elder, but she's even taken religous studies classes there, always defending her own faith, of course.

• JRK
    JRK

Going to a religious college after leaving the JW's was one of the best things that ever happened to me. When I was disfellowshiped, I still thought they were right, and that I was just a bad person and couldn't live up to their standards.

In my core classes, there were two that were about theology. I, still having the JW mindset, was going to use these classes as a plaform to prove JW doctrine as correct. The first paper that I turned in almost got me kicked out of school, due to the lack of "works cited" in JW liturature. For the second, I did research the JW's on the internet. Holy shit, that is when I found out about the UN/NGO scandal. I was furious! Those MF'ers make moral decisions about me, when they are sleeping with the wild beast?

I was cured at that instant. Thank you, Indiana Wesleyan University!

JK

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Most Colleges, Harvard, Oxford, etc started as Religious institutions. I know some Congregations rent Senior centers from Catholic Church for the MEMORIAL!!!!! (They save a whopping $300) lol!! Some Circuits used to rent Masonic Halls, some of the big Shriners buildings for special talks. If it saves $$ for the ORG it is OK. If it helps a publisher feed the family...it may be bad.

• JRK
    JRK

We had our District Conventions at Notre Dame for many years.

JK

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I think the answer is YES. In almost any congregation of JEHOVAH'S Witnesses, if the CHURCH LADIES (male and female)set a fire under the ELDERS BUTTS stirr up s.... and GOSSIP about just about ANYTHING a "investigation" can begin about something that "Bothers the CONSCIENCE OF THE CONGREGATION" (Whatever THAT is.. "Pink highlighter, pink shirts, cowboy boots, 2 door cars, sideburns, panty hose etc.?? ).

If you have lots of Church Ladies & men, and elders with no testicles ( to tell them to shut up and stop gossiping) you are in trouble.

A brother who was an undercover cop asked me about this and guns. I asked him: how he could "bother anyone's conscience" if he was undercover?

My 2 cents...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I suspect it may have something to do with status. An elder's family can get away with more. Someone who knows how to press Brooklyn for a definitive answer may win, too. There are tons of comparable secular institutions. I feel that religious affiliated ones attract people who have stronger values, don't party all night, a more serious student. It is a stereotype. Many of these religious schools were established by religions but the secular aspect is stronger than any religious one. I also believe that if a student opposed taking a mandatory religious course, the requirement would most likely be waived.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 4/08 p. 6 Question Box *

Is it proper for one of Jehovah’s Witnesses to receive treatment and care at a hospital or nursing home operated by a religious organization?

Various religious organizations operate hospitals or nursing homes that provide medical treatment or long-term care. Generally, such facilities are not established for the outright promotion of Babylon the Great. (Rev. 18:2, 4) They may originally have been incorporated to serve a religious organization as a source of income. Today, some hospitals are religious in their name only, whereas others are still partially staffed by members of the clergy.

If one of Jehovah’s Witnesses requires hospital or nursing care, he must make his own decision as to whether he will go to a facility that may possibly be connected with a religious organization. The conscience of one might permit him to do so, but the conscience of another may prevent him from doing so. (1 Tim. 1:5) There are certain circumstances that may have a bearing on one’s decision, and it is good to consider these.

For example, a hospital or nursing home with a religious name may be the only one in the immediate area. Or if there is another facility nearby, the one with possible religious connections may have a reputation for superior service. Such a hospital with a religious name may be the only one equipped to provide the particular treatment needed, or it may be the only hospital where your doctor or surgeon is able to handle cases. Also, sometimes hospitals with religious connections may respect your viewpoint as a Christian on the use of blood, whereas some other private or municipal hospitals may not. So these are some factors that you may have to consider when deciding what facility to use.

If you do decide to use a hospital or nursing home with religious connections, you might view it merely as paying for services rendered. You might view it as if the religious organization were operating a certain business, and in purchasing a service from such a business you would not be making a direct, voluntary contribution to the support of a false religion. You would merely be paying for a product or a service.

Of course, as a Christian, in such circumstances you must definitely see to it that you do not engage in any acts of false worship. Also, you would not ascribe the usual religious titles, such as “Father” or “Sister,” to individuals who may work at or visit the facility. (Matt. 23:9) You would have to see to it that the matter is strictly a business arrangement in which you are receiving treatment and service, and nothing more.

When being admitted to the hospital, you may indicate that you are one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and that you would like to receive visits from local elders. This will ensure that you receive proper spiritual support during your stay.—1 Thess. 5:14.

Believing family members, local elders, and others in the congregation should responsibly care for the spiritual needs of any elderly brothers and sisters who live in nursing homes, particularly when operated by a religious organization. Diligence in this regard will be of great encouragement to such older ones and will prevent them from inadvertently being included in religious services, celebrations, or other similar activities held at such facilities.

With these points in mind, each one will have to consider all the circumstances involved and then make his own decision as to which hospital or nursing home he will use.—Gal. 6:5.

*** km 2/76 p. 4 Question Box ***

Is it proper for one of Jehovah’s witnesses to receive treatment and care at a hospital operated by a religious organization?

Various religious organizations operate hospitals, which provide medical treatment and care. Generally such hospitals are not established for the outright promotion of false religion. They may have been incorporated originally to serve a religious organization as a source of income. Today, however, some hospitals are religious in their name only, whereas others are still partially staffed by members of the clergy.

If one of Jehovah’s witnesses requires hospital care, he must make his own decision as to whether he will go to a hospital that may possibly be connected with a religious organization. The conscience of one might permit him to do so, but the conscience of another may prevent him from doing so. There are certain circumstances that may have a bearing on one’s decision and it is good to consider these.

For example, a hospital with a religious name may be the only one in the immediate area. Or, if there is another hospital nearby, the one with possible religious connections may have a reputation for superior service. Also, such a hospital with a religious name may be the only one equipped to provide the particular treatment needed, or it may be the only hospital where your doctor or surgeon is able to handle cases. Also, sometimes hospitals with religious connections may respect your viewpoint as a Christian on the use of blood, whereas some other private or municipal hospitals may not. So these are some factors that you may have to consider when deciding what hospital to use.

If you do decide to use a hospital with religious connections, you might view it merely as paying for services rendered. You might view it as if the religious organization were operating a certain business, and in purchasing a service from such business you would not be making a direct, voluntary contribution to the support of a false religion. You would merely be paying for a product or a service.

Of course, as a Christian, in such circumstances you must definitely see to it that you do not engage in any acts of false worship. Also, you could not ascribe the usual religious titles, like “Father” or “Sister,” to individuals who may work at or visit the hospital. You would have to see to it that the matter is strictly a business arrangement in which you are receiving treatment and service, and nothing more.

So, each one will have to consider all the circumstances involved and then make his own decision as to which hospital he will use.—Gal. 6:5.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit