Is it okay for JW to attend college with religious affliations?

by Iamallcool 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I know they discourage attending college, but if someone attended college with religious affliations? Is that a judicial matter?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't have access to a current elder manual. A close friend who did physical therapy at a Catholic hospital was ordered to quit his job. The hospital did not push a Catholic doctrine on patients or staff. Catholics did not receive special treatment. It seems to me, though, that they have slightly lowered their standards over time. It is sad b/c many Catholic university are Catholic in name only. Church dogma is questioned in classes. I believe Regent University is a new strict Catholic school. Maybe I have the wrong name. Nova?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I don't know the direct answer, but I would say that becuase the college is affiliated with a church - it would be the same as going to that church. It would be against the Jehovah's Witness faith to attend. Think of the YMCA. Can't go to it, as it's affliated with False Religion.

I spoke with Professor of Religious Studies. He is having a problem with Jehovah's Witness students. He teaches a "Religion 101" class. As part of the course, the students must attend several different places of worship. The Jehovah's Witness students are coming to class with notes from their elders - they can't attend other churches!

At first, it struck me as strange. I mean, JWs can go to another church IF it's under the guise of important family matters/business (i.e. like someone's funeral). The rule is that the JW has to sit in back, observe, but not partake in the ceremony. I had a JW relative who was a nurse assistant. She took her patient to Catholic Mass every morning. My relative just sat in back. It was never a problem.

But, what I think is happening with the current JW college students, is that they are likely living at home. They know their parents will know if they go to another church, instead of the KH on Sunday morning. So, they are asking their parents. Remember, there is pressure amongst those parents supporting JW kids in college to make sure spirtuality isn't in jeapardy. So, this is coming up to the elders. The elders don't like kids going to college and are writing these excuse notes as a way to insure that no one (including the elder) is accused of being lax or allowing a JW soul to go to Satan. I'm sure the elders are using this as an example of why JWs shouldn't go to college. Students will be expected to attend false religions. After all, the young JW could bring a demon home!

Well, anyway. I didn't think Religion 101 was a required course. Philosophy 101 was in my school, but not religion. But, I wasn't in the "Arts" program.

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I had to go to "Baptist Hospital" and my mother was in an uproar! She made sure that she went through the fact with me that we weren't condoning the Baptist religion. It was the only hospital that could do the job, but she was very uncomfortable. Later, my father had to go to another "Baptist Hospital". He was also very uncomfortable about it. I bet ya they were scared of demons.

Skeeter

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Of course not!

I attended a Music Conference a few years ago put on by Conn-Selmer, the musical instrument manufacturer. They rented facilities at Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana. (Beautiful campus BTW!)

Even though the conference had nothing to do with ND other than the fact that it was located on site at rented facilities, you better believe I flew way under the radar on this one. My wife at the time who was a JW had real issues with me attending this because of that.

We're now divorced.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

But the WTBTS can be a NGO of the UN!

That's ok, but they're "God's Visible Organization" so the rules (apparently) don't apply to them.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I suspect it would be. One of the definitions of apostasy in the elders' manual is "Continuing in employment that makes one an accomplice to or a promoter of false worship." This would probably be applied if someone took a job as an employee of a church or church-owned institution, so it's hard to see how they wouldn't apply the same principle in a case where someone became a student at a religious college. However, it might make a difference whether the student was there to study religion or was just enrolling there because it was a good college for studies in a "secular" field (if one enrolled to study accounting at Wheaton, for example). We were sometimes told that if you needed to buy a product that could best reasonably be obtained from a church-affiliated source, it would be a conscience matter, if there was no alternate source that could provide the same product or service under comparable terms. However, if you enrolled in the Biblical Studies program with Moody Bible Institute, I'm pretty sure you would have a problem. And, in any event, a lot depends on the particular body of elders involved. Some might be more restrictive than others.

• blondie
    blondie

In this area there is a hospital that has a Catholic designation but many jws, including elders go to it. The policy changed around the mid 70's here. There is some talk in the magazines about jw children going to religious schools because they are the only ones in the area. The jw children are excused from the religious activities much like the flag salute.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I feel sorry for the students. The profs can't excuse them. It would not be fair to the other students. I am recalling my high school evolution class. My sister had to attend Catholic school. We lived in a dangerous area. She was bullied at school so severely that her doctor said she could not go back. My mom could not afford another public school in the area. The sisters accepted her and respected family belief. They gave her a nice refuge. The Witnesses had no schools.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I know someone who took a physical therapy course at a "Catholic" college. Her father was an elder. There didn't seem to be an issue. That was in the early 90's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit