Does anyone know the networth of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society ?

by Balaamsass 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

• NOVEMBER 28, 2011 WSJ
    • Putting Charities to The Financial Test

Is an organization about to go bust? Before you give them money, you need to do some due diligence

Look at the Financials

Start with the Form 990. Most charities have one, unless they're a small organization. It's the annual filing that tax-exempt organizations make to the Internal Revenue Service. The forms are posted on many charities' websites, but can also be found through nonprofit information sites like GuideStar.org and FoundationCenter.org.

A Form 990 can tell you right away if a charity is in the red. Look at the net assets, shown on Line 22 on the first page. A negative number indicates the organization has more debt than assets and could be struggling financially.

Caveats to the Financials

If a charity stops making audits available, it could be the result of budget cuts and a sign that the group is struggling. Some states don't require disclosure of those documents. To find out the law in your state, go to www.nasconet.org , a website for the National Association of State Charity Officials, where you'll find links to each state's responsible office.

Another caveat: Information found in 990s and audit reports is at least a few months old, if not much older. For more recent information, try asking the charity for a copy of its latest budget.

Also remember that there can be nuances to nearly every figure in the financial reports, so tread carefully.

"Charities' financials are just as complicated as those of a corporation, if not more," says Laurie Styron, an analyst with the nonprofit watchdog service CharityWatch, based in Chicago. "Be careful as a layman of reading too much into these." It's important to do financial checks, Ms. Styron says, but when in doubt, she advises donating to a charity that has a good reputation.

• JeffT
    JeffT

OK, the unemployed accountant is going to do some research over the next few days.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Great JeffT,

The Multitude of US Corporations should be quite a hurdle. Also when dealing with hard assets -valuation- book value THAT will be hard to calculate I would assume. Most wall street anaylists personally visit to get a feel for that. And of course off-shore assets. WOW.........THANK YOU!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I wanted to bring this thread back. I looked at the Conti court docs but that is JUST the Brooklyn buildings and some cash. It hardly represents even the Assembly halls in the US. Any new info on this subject?

There are dozens more cases following Candice's and I am certain inquiring law firms would want to know. I bet WTBTS would HATE to see that info on this site.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

The Church of Latter-day Saints has amassed financial holdings worth billions. Here's an inside look at its business empire

Read the story on Businessweek.com: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-10/how-the-mormons-make-money.

Excellent Article on understanding US law and Religious Financial operations in todays Bloomberg News.

• Aware!
    Aware!

I bet Anonymous could find out if someone petitioned them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit