Onscreen Critique, NOVEMBER 1 Watchtower, "When Was Ancient Jerusalem Destroyed?"

by Doug Mason 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    For your reference, compare the Babylonian Chronicleto the Bible. You will note that the Chronicle claims the battle with Egypt's pharaoh Necho are Carchemish occurs in his accession year. Per the Bible, this event occurs in his 1st year. That is, Daniel was deported in the accession year of Neb-II, which was year 3 of Jehoiakim. In year 4 of Jehoiakim the battle at Carchemish takes place. (Jer. 46:2) This establishes a 3-year difference in the reign of Jehoikim and Nebuchadezzar II. If so, Jehoiakim's 11th year would correspond to the 8th year of Neb-II, which it does.

Your errors here again demonstrate that you are wrong about Jeremiah's use of dating systems. You introduce flaws by insisting that Jeremiah didn't count accession years, and then you try to compensate for those flaws with your own conspiracy that contradicts the Bible.

As I have shown elsewhere, the Bible consistently presents the period. A subset is included here. (Apologies for the reformatting done by the forum engine; use the scrollbar at bottom of table to read notes)

Nebuchadnezzar returned to Babylon to replace Nabopolassar as king in around August of 605. The shading in the chart represents full years, and should not be construed as any suggestion that he actually took the throne in April. This is noted in the line for August.

Jan 605

Nabopolassar's 20 th year

Jehoiakim's 3 rd year

Feb

Mar

Apr

Nebuchadnezzar's 1 st (accession) year

Jehoiakim's 4 th (3 rd regnal) year

Jeremiah 36:1

During Jehoiakim's 4 th year, Jeremiah records warning

May

Jun

Jeremiah 46:2

(Necho II defeated by Nebuchadnezzar at Carchemish, [summer])

Jul

Aug

(Nebuchadnezzar returns to Babylon to claim throne)

Sep

Oct

Jeremiah 25:1

1 st year of Nebuchadnezzar is 4 th year of Jehoiakim

Nov

Dec

Jan 604

Jehoiakim pays tribute for 3 years before refusing

2 Kings 24:1
    Daniel 1:1,2

Nebuchadnezzar sieges Jerusalem, Jehoiakim becomes tributary for 3 years
    Daniel & others given as part of tribute [January], accession year of Nebuchadnezzar & 3 rd regnal year of Jehoiakim

Feb

Mar

Apr

Nebuchadnezzar's 2 nd (1 st regnal) year

Jehoiakim's 5 th (4 th regnal) year

Minimum 3 years of training for Daniel and others

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jeremiah 36:9

Fast proclaimed in Jerusalem (9th month [December])

Jan 603

(Jehoiakim pays tribute (1 year))

Feb

Mar

Apr

Nebuchadnezzar's 3 rd (2 regnal) year

Jehoiakim's 6 th (5 th regnal) year

Daniel 2:1
    Daniel 1:17

Daniel interprets dream during 2nd regnal year of Nebuchadnezzar
    Daniel known for interpreting dreams before end of three years

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jan 602

(Jehoiakim pays tribute (2 years))

Feb

Mar

Apr

Nebuchadnezzar's 4 th (3 rd regnal) year

Jehoiakim's 7 th (6 th regnal) year

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jan 601

(Jehoiakim pays tribute (3 years))

Feb

Mar

Daniel 1:5

Youths presented to Nebuchadnezzar after 3 full years of training

Apr

Nebuchadnezzar's 5 th (4 th regnal) year

Jehoiakim's 8 th (7 th regnal) year

May

(Nebuchadnezzar attempts to attack Egypt)

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jan 600

2 Kings 24:1

Jehoiakim refuses paying tribute

Feb

Mar

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

In an earlier post I said:

Jeremiah does count accession years, as is demonstrated from a comparison between verse 12 and 28 of Jeremiah 52.

This was a typo. It should have read "a comparison between verse 12 and 29 of Jeremiah 52". This should be obvious to anyone who understands the topic anyway. Sorry for any confusion.

• Jeffro
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Regarding the scribal error for 8 Nisanu, I was surprised to see you didn't mention the fact that the very next part of VAT 4956 states an event for the day of the 9th ("The 9th. the sun in the west (was surrounded) by a halo"). This confirms that the event for the previous night was indeed 8 Nisanu. ...

...Obviously, the 9th day follows the 8th night, so the correction by the translators to "8th", which The Watchtower attacks, is entirely justified.

Not necessarily, Jeffro. The translators' reasons for the correction don't come down to that. Evening was always the start of a new 'day' so the evening's/night's observations preceded the daytime's. Examples are found on this same tablet (as well as on many other tablets) at:

Rev. 8' - "Night of the 18th (and) the 18th, rain PISAN DIB [ .... ]"

Rev. 16' - "Night of the 11th, overcast. The 11th, rain DUL. Night of the 12th, a little rain, .... The 12th, one god was seen with the other; sunrise to moonset: 1°30'"

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

By the way, Jeffro, you are aware that our friend Lars is actually JCanon from years ago?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Not necessarily, Jeffro. The translators' reasons for the correction don't come down to that. Evening was always the start of a new 'day' so the evening's/night's observations preceded the daytime's. Examples are found on this same tablet (as well as on many other tablets) at:

Duh, you are quite right. Thanks.

Always happy for someone to explain where I've made an error. Please feel free to indicate any other problems with what I've presented on the website I've linked previously.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    By the way, Jeffro, you are aware that our friend Lars is actually JCanon from years ago?

I was not. But if the straightjacket fits...

Wasn't that the loony who said the picture of him as a baby pointing upwards looked like Jesus and had ridiculous pictures of clouds with outlines drawn on them that 'clearly showed'... absolutely nothing?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

If the straightjacket fits - LOL!

I have to say, I found your site and posts here quite helpful years back when I was really starting to get my feet wet with this subject. Good to see you around again.

Oh and yep - same guy - the Dumpster Messiah of 1992, and my favorite muppet :-)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I have to say, I found your site and posts here quite helpful years back when I was really starting to get my feet wet with this subject. Good to see you around again.

Thanks. Sorry to disappoint with that terrible gaff about dates. Of course, that error will be leapt upon by the numpties in an attempt to discredit anything else I've said that they disagree with.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Even the pros make the occasional mistake (Lars goes on and on and on about one Hunger made), so we amateurs are bound to slip up here and there. Done it myself on more than one occasion - just glad it gets corrected in the end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit