today's Kingdom Hall experience

by Cygnus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Went to my grandfather's funeral service at the Kingdom Hall today. Two or three minutes were spent on grandfather, and the rest on the Bible, Jehovah, how sin makes our bio cells degenerate, etc. etc.

Fortunately, I'm well past the stage of anger at the Witnesses for shoving their religious beliefs down my throat. I wasn't too terribly bothered with the speaker's constant insistence that "only the Bible, only JEHOVAH can give us ANY HOPE OR COMFORT at a time like this."

I found it amusing how the speaker needed 6 or 7 Bible texts to prove to his audience that death is nonexistence, and about 6 or 7 more to prove that the dead are coming back. I should think that one or two each would have been sufficient (nobody was there to be preached to), but it sure felt like the speaker thought it was of utmost importance that everyone go away from the Kingdom Hall believing in his sermon.

There wasn't much else interesting to report. The beginning of the service was sad, grandmother and others crying, but about 3 minutes into the talk, like I said, focus shifted from grandfather to the Bible, which got everyone too bored to think about their sadness.

I guess there were a couple of interesting people there. The elder who gave the talk is a very old family friend and long-time JW who excels at speaking and relations (always has parts and responsibilities at district conventions). He also gave my mother's brother's funeral talk 38 years ago.

Also, the chairman of the appeal committee which upheld the initial judicial committee's decision to disfellowship me two years ago was there. He has known my father for at least 35 years. As I was standing with my father and grandmother, he extended his hand to me and said, "Hello, I'm Ray G...." I said, "I know who you are," smiled, and shook his hand.

A few other old family friends were there. Only one of them gave any indication that she was shunning me (probably more due to the fact that I had neglected to invite her to my wedding, which hurt her deeply, so I've been told). Some came up to me and chatted for a few minutes. I really rather mystified as to how many people both in my family and in congregations where I am familiar know that I am disfellowshipped.

Anyway, I felt like sharing today, thanks for reading this. Back to scanning some old pictures I have of grandfather to share with the family tomorrow.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I sounds like it went fairly well. Hugs and condolences
    plm

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Cyg ,

Glad that it didn't turn out to be a *major* JW sales pitch. It sounds as thought it went better than you expected?

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out and, again, my sympathy on the loss of your grandfather.

Dana

• ISP
    ISP

One thing the JWs can have is some sympathy in death. At least there was quite a number that can offer support to the remaining family, which is maybe more than we may have! Know what I mean?

ISP

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hey Cygnus,
    sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

Pureheart

• patio34
    patio34

My sympathies Cygnus for the loss of your grandfather.

Pat

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Hey Cyg-

I lost my grandfather three years ago. It was the most difficult and traumatic experience of my life. He was basically my Dad. When they held the memorial service at the KH then, it was very similar to your experience. He had been an elder for 45 years, and they touched on his life, read the eulogy, then 30 or 40minutes was spent on Scripture explaining death and the hope of resurrection. I felt as you do now, interesting that in a crowd of JW whove been in the organization for 20 years plus in most cases, they rehash what everyone already knows and has heard OVER AND OVER again, instead of making poignant remarks about the loved one lost. I had a problem with that. Regarding JW love, its different in any given circumstance, but my grandfather's death was probably the last straw that broke me away from the org. Everyone was so sorry and had such condolences and the day of his service had food to bring and love to show, but not soon after they drifted away from me, and didnt call or bother to ever show up or take an interest in spending time... guess thats true Christian love eh?

Cygnus, Im terribly sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I know its only words a person can type on a chat board, but I mean it. I know what its like to lose one. You are in my thoughts and may you be safe and retain fond memories of him to sustain you on those dark days when their absence chills you or you truly feel it.

Sincerely

The true Kingdom of God is located in your heart, not an organization of hypocrites.

www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html for my new webpage and info!! Im trying to live now!!

• gumby
    gumby

Hey CYG. I went to a funeral service a few weeks ago of a man who died and his wife was a witness. She had an elder give the talk at the parlor.

It went as you said. A few minutes on the deseased, and the rest of the time on witness theology on the condition of the dead.
    They had a captive audience for their sales pitch.

Sorry for your loss

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

(((((((((((((Cyggie)))))))))))))

• joelbear
    joelbear

Hi Cygnus,

Sorry its a sad time for you.

Life is rough. 30 is nothing. 44 sheesh. I can't believe it.

I do believe there is a God.

take care

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit