Ten Greatest Movies Ever

by Seven 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seven
    Seven

Rhw, Every great movie I ever saw I had to sneak out to see. My family was unaware of HBO's free preview weekends when I would sneak downstairs in the middle of the night to watch movies that were less explicit than the youth book. LOL. Wasn't it a hoot growin' up JW?

• waiting
    waiting

7, Just how young are you that they had HBO as a younster. Shoot, they didn't even have Cable when I was young. Oops.

Redhorse, I was coming back here to add to my list my All Time Favorite - the Black Stallion! I loved that movie, each time I see that dance sequence on the beach I just sit there and grin - it's beautiful.

I also loved Man from Snowy River - especially when he went over the edge of the steep hill. Great choices of movies we have, huh?

• Seven
    Seven

waiting, cable has been around forever up here. I guess it depends on how close you lived to a major
    metro area. I'm in my twenties so it wasn't that long ago. BTW, I forgot to add Casablanca to my list.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Oh, my dear Seven, when waiting and I were young, most families didn't even have TV, let alone cable. If they did, it was black and white. There were no color programs for several years. No computers, no stereo, no video games. HBO in the middle of the night? Heck, if we got up to watch anything in the middle of the night, all we would get was a test pattern. All broadcasting stopped around 1 a.m. LOL

• waiting
    waiting

Redhorse - Wait a minute there ------ we had a color tv by the time I was 7 yrs old. Used to watch Howdy Doody and the Mickey Mouse Club and Perry Mason. But you're right, I don't remember them being in color.

However, the Lone Ranger and Hop Along Cassidy were my favorites. And the middle of the night - we watched bugs on our ceiling.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

What's a ceiling?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Frenchy, I never realized you were THAT old. Well, a ceiling is the modern-day equivalent of cave roof. Does this make sense now, poor boy?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

LOL@Red! This may be hard to believe but when I was growing up we lived in houses that had no ceiling. Yes, that's right. You could look straight up and see the metal roof. The walls were made of upright cypress boards. That was all that was between you and the elements. They would stuff paper in the cracks in the winter time to keep the wind out. There were no windows, only shutters. I remember the house we were living in the year I started school. This one had a dirt floor!

Hey, I've been in some caves that looked mighty inviting!

• waiting
    waiting

Hey, Frenchy,

Just to let you know, my kids HATE IT when my husband and I start with the "when I was a kid....." When they were younger, they would roll their eyes and just slink into their rooms (air conditioned, game boys, stereos, etc.).

Now that they're older, they just say, "hey, we really don't want to hear about it - it's not relevant to our situations." Smart alecs!

We used to have a basement in one of the houses we lived in where mom would do laundry in wringer washer and the coal bin was there. Being a damp basement, there were water bugs there all the time. (like big black roaches). Well, my mom would hang the clothes in the basement during the Indiana winters, and there was only one light - in the middle of the room - with a string hanging from it which we had to pull to turn it on.

Sooooo, we'd put on our shoes and run as fast as we could to turn on the light - which would make the bugs run. But not before we had to crunch over them to get to the stupid light string. Really, progress has been a blessing in a lot of respects, huh?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Yes, there are a lot of things about the past that I don't miss. I remember the wringer washer very well, thank you. I got my hand caught in the wringer once. Ouch! To cut down on the ironing (remember that quaint old custom?) we would put some metal, adjustable frames down the legs of our blue jeans so that when they dried they looked like they had been pressed, a crease and all! Ya'll have anything like that in Indiana?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit