My friend belongs to them now

by fade_away 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• fade_away
    fade_away

A friend of mine was born in to this damn religion and managed to avoid getting baptised for 24 years, unlike me who fell for the cruel scam when I was about 15. He is my best and pretty much only friend I have. I used to pressure him into baptism just a bit when I was a mindless drone, but he always told me he doesn't feel ready and doesn't feel a strong enough love for Jehovah to take that step. All his friends and family were getting baptised during their teenage years but somehow, he managed to avoid the peer pressure and continued to stay neutral. The reason according to him, was because it is such a huge step and commitment that he felt he needed to do it only if he felt a true love for God and an honest desire to serve him. He admitted that God just didn't feel 100% real to him. Jehovah needed to seem like a real person...as clear and believeable as I was standing in front of him.

So I felt he had a good point and was therefore a better person than I was, since I did it out of peer pressure. My hat was off to him, and I admired his way of thinking. I said "good for you, do it when you feel ready inside and don't let anyone pressure you." Twenty four years went by and still no true fellings of love for Jehovah. One day (recently), he went out with a group of bros and sis from the congregation where he was introduced to a certain young lady that my friend instantly "fell in love" with. That happened a few months ago. This young lady is baptised however, and my friend is not due to his ever lasting spiritual journey in search of God. I warned him about what a long and tough drama-packed road he is about to embark on. I warned him how scandalous it will be when the elders find out about a non JW crossing paths with a batized JW. I warned him about his promise that he made of not letting peer pressure sink in. He still kept insisting he would NEVER get in the JW pool for a girl. He wants to do it for Jah only. I said "ok, but there's only two ways this could end: you end up marrying her despite what anyone says and get her disfellowshipped and develop an instant and permanent rift between you and your friends, family and in-laws ...OR... you give in and get baptised in order to spare yourself all this pain and drama and breaking your own promise in the process."

He knew what he was up against...So what happens next? Well, the other day, he gives me the news: He is getting married next year, and already got baptised. I asked him if he did it for Jah, like he said and his answer was "Of course!!!" He was going on about how he FINALLY felt ready and he sees Jehovah as a real person and feels a true love for him and desire to serve him...."

Ok pause for a second and think "What a coincidence!!!" Twenty four years of searching for his spirituality and on the 24th year, the same year he fell for a JW girl, he finally finds his spirituality. I told him "well that's lucky! You found a girlfriend AND you found God a few months later." He knew what I was getting at and got all serious and insisted he made his decision for God and no one else. "Ok then" I said..."it could happen I guess". That's his story and he is sticking to it...and the sad thing is, everyone believes him and nobody sees the obvious. Even if they do, they deny it and claim he is finally seeing the light. They say it almost as if to say "unlike you, fade-away who has left Jehovah and his organization". I mean they might as well say that, since it is implied so much.

So there it is...a brand new J-dub has been born for the sake of marrying a girl and for the desperation of losing his virginity. My friend has such low confidence and very little luck with girls, so now that he found a girl, he will do whatever it takes to keep her. Baptised for all the wrong reasons...but that doesn't matter to the other J-dubs...as long as he is one of them, that's all that counts.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You did a good job pointing out all this to him.

Meanwhile, he can drive their success rate up a notch.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

He has no idea what he's in store for

• fade_away
    fade_away

he really doesn't know what he is in for but I think if he lives the lie for awhile, hopefully he can make up his own mind and possibly get laid (missionary position) while he is at it. He might come out with a better understanding if perhaps with half of his soul while he is at it. I know it sounds crass and maybe heartless but unfortunately sometimes the thorn needs to be pushed out instead of pulled out. I did tell him beforehand he would get baptized for the tang even if he denies it so vehemently now.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can only hope that the outcome is that the whole family ends up turning apostate. All it takes is for one to become disillusioned because of bad treatment, and to do a little research using their own Bible, and that can spread. Of course, they will use that situation to bust up families because their foundation is so wimpy that it takes a feather duster to ruin everyone's faith unless they remove the truth-spreader from the group.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Well that sounds a whole lot like my sons future too. Except he's had no trouble with the girls he is bent on his recented bathed one.

Oz

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

IMO

You don't sound like a very good friend, what with you talking him down behind his back, questioning all his motives and decisions, insulting him and his personal beliefs, ect. What do you think his reaction would be if he could read what you wrote about him on this thread?

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

I will agree with Teary on this post, your friend had more wisdom than you did. He waited and waited and did not capitulate to peer pressure and now that he has decided, you are upset? Are you afraid you are going to lose your one and only friend? There are other friendships in the world to be made, don't worry about it. As for him, he is twenty four years old, has been searching for God and if he thinks he has found him, let him enjoy! Twenty four is old for a JW who has been living in this culture their whole life. I wish your friend the best luck and a happy marriage, and maybe you should too!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    fade_away - . . . Ok pause for a second and think "What a coincidence!!!" Twenty four years of searching for his spirituality and on the 24th year, the same year he fell for a JW girl, he finally finds his spirituality. I told him "well that's lucky! You found a girlfriend AND you found God a few months later." He knew what I was getting at and got all serious and insisted he made his decision for God and no one else. "Ok then" I said..."it could happen I guess". That's his story and he is sticking to it...and the sad thing is, everyone believes him and nobody sees the obvious. Even if they do, they deny it and claim he is finally seeing the light. They say it almost as if to say "unlike you, fade-away who has left Jehovah and his organization". I mean they might as well say that, since it is implied so much. . . .

Hi Fade_away, sorry to hear about your friend. Does he know what he wants in a wife besides sex? Marriage involves a lot more than going to meetings, FS, and getting laid. You should ask your friend questions about his likes and his GF's likes (i.e., what does his GF like to do, what does she like to read, what and how does she spend money, etc.). Also, how long has your friend known his GF? In my opinion if a couple have been dating for less than 6 months, they are still in the honeymoon phase of a relationship and may be showing their best to each other. If the relationship lasts for more than 1 year, couples may show their true selves to each other and that is when couples should decided whether to marry each other or not.

Good-luck and you should consider making more "Worldly" friends.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• fade_away
    fade_away

Terry and A Guest... you guys missed the point of the thread. I'm happy for him (never said i wasn't). The point is he is getting baptised just so he can simply be with her...it obviously has nothing to do with God. Baptism should be a commitment between you and God, not a means to get what you want (a wife in his case). This will bite him in the butt in the future when he realizes what it takes to be a JW...which I don't think he knows for certain what he is in for....control, thousands of rules, gossip, spying, elders watching his every step and constantly lecturing him on what he is doing wrong. My friend has never liked being told what to do with his life, and this religion is all about that. He is getting baptised so he can get some tang...that was his motivation. God had nothing to do with it, so screw you if you don't think I'm being a good friend. I'm being the best friend he can have by warning him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit