Parallel universes?

by sleepy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Interesting Hozison programme on BBC2 last week about how new evidence is coming out that there may be parallel universes that are "needed " to explain our own.
    Once prominent physicist belives our universe "borrows" gravity from another universe.
    But what really is happeing in physics , can it really tell us the truth about our universe?
    It seems that a lot of physics is philosophy.You think of an idea that could explain phenonoma and then see if you can make it work with mathamatics.
    But as more and more complex theories are coming forward and are used to explain how the universe works it seems that any grasp on the truth of the matter is getting further and further away.When you start invocking parallel universes to explain things where do you stop?
    It seems that at least for now the universe is unexplainable.Even without parellel universes you still cannot explain the origin of the universe , were it came from or why it is here.Which ever way you go you get to a point in which you can never test or measure to see if you are right.
    If there are parallel universes then do these need other universes to explain them?
    This could go on for ever.
    It is not it seems cranks that are using these theories but the most respected of scientists.
    It reminds me of a disscusion I once had on the ministry where a guy explianed to me his belief that what ever you belived was true.
    I said if this were true I could never know it as I didn't believe it was true and therefore in my universe it wasn't true.
    Is this much different than were we are in understanding the universe?

• VM44
    VM44

paralell universes? Our universe "borrowing" gravity from another
    universe? fascinating! (but, what happens when our universe has to
    "pay back" all the gravity it borrowed?}

I think these theories are just that, they are theoretical
    constructs used to explain reality, but you would like to have
    reality explained by something that has real existence (no theories
    with the earth resting on elephants and turtles!)

The theoretical scientists need to keep working, they are still
    far from having a satisfactory theory.

I wished I could have seen the BBC program though, hard to view
    it hear in California.

--VM44

• Okidok
    Okidok

Hi Sleepy
    The parallel universe is also known as the DAL universe. You don`t find anything about this subject in current scientific magazine. To read about this universe, you have to turn to alternative explanation. You can start with this site:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Pleiadia/Alcoyne.html

"It takes two to speak the truth -- one to speak, and another to
    hear."
    ---Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• radar
    radar

Sleepy

I seen it!

I think they were just "Stringing" us along.

Mem'brain hurts

Radar

• ISP
    ISP

Hmm....gravity. Funny sort of substance. You would think it would diminish over time...but it doesn't seem to! Not sure why we have to borrow it, though!

ISP

• Celtic
    Celtic

Posted on this a day or so ago.

The program details are here:

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space

The program first started out with the complexities of string theory making up a cohesive collective picture of things. It then went on to state that there are in fact 10 dimensions, in parallel to our own and an 11th dimension which represented I think the separateness of time. It then went into 'M' theory, mother, mystery and magic, M C squared etc.

Imagine this theory in terms of throwing two stones into a still pond of water in separate places. Now watch the ripples that expand circularly away from the impact. Both sets of ripples rather than cancelling each other out, merely converge as one, are one, but separate at the same time, each has their single pulse of energy, basically, the same force traveling in all directions at once which makes me think, what a shame we can't be everywhere at once, omnipresent, to understand this whole truth. The more I learn the less I know.

This subject matter was right up my street, however, the above views hold water too.

Peace

Mark

Free Tibet & Drop The Debt!!

• KSJordan
    KSJordan

Dr. Stephen Hawking estimates that there are around 400 alternate universes.

• Robdar
    Robdar

1. "But what really is happeing in physics , can it really tell us the truth about our universe?"

It's done a great job so far.

2. "When you start invocking parallel universes to explain things where do you stop?"

Why would you want to stop before you find the answer?

3. "It seems that at least for now the universe is unexplainable."

Hmmmm, really? (sarcasm)

Maybe your statement explains why scientists are considering parallel universes. THEY WANT TO EXPLAIN THE "UNEXPLAINABLE" UNIVERSE.

4. "If there are parallel universes then do these need other universes to explain them?

Maybe

5. "This could go on for ever."

What is wrong with that?

6. "It reminds me of a disscusion I once had on the ministry where a guy explianed to me his belief that what ever you belived was true.
    I said if this were true I could never know it as I didn't believe it was true and therefore in my universe it wasn't true."

• Robdar
    Robdar

Since #6 got cut off, here it is again:

6. "It reminds me of a disscusion I once had on the ministry where a guy explianed to me his belief that what ever you belived was true.
    I said if this were true I could never know it as I didn't believe it was true and therefore in my universe it wasn't true."

Wow, you just had a moment of zen. Congrats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit