sincere question .....What could make you believe in God ?

by caliber 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    How do you know? The bible is unreliable by your own admission. So how do you know what he said?

It isn't that I think the Bible is unreliable. It is that someone who is not Born of God does not have the Spirit to direct them to understand it or use it correctly. (and no, unlike the JW belief, I am not part of some small group of Christians who are the only ones to correctly interpret things, see 1 John 5:1)

There are many true words of God and Christ in the Bible. Then there are things that David said, or things that Lot did, etc. that God doesn't necessarily approve of. Just because God wanted something written down is not the same as Him saying it. I just think that there are also words of people and recorded history that God does not necessarily approve of, and there are also things that are misunderstood. The problem is when someone without the Spirit takes them the wrong way or out of context. "the dead know nothing at all" is way out of context. It wasn't meant to be a true statement! Jehu tricking people and slaughtering them? That is just history, not something we should copy. Paul saying that women should be quiet? Numerous explanations. Many Christians do research on these things because they know God. They know that these things aren't to be taken at face value. And it isn't difficult to figure out really... Christ himself told us what to think of the Mosaic Law, and in the OT when God said something, then the Bible says that He did. HTH!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I'd be interested in a god who talked about knowledge with scientific merit rather than one whe merely defines a set of social rules ( that no one - can adhere to since they are culturally specific and have been changed several times - at least in the bible.) So if a god came and explained higher mathematics, provided information on the demise of the dinosaurs, explained what gravity is or some such thing it would be worth something but religious texts across the world have shown their Achilles heal whenever they make physical pronouncements which are almost invariably wrong.Even the simple wins like the value of pi the bible gets wrong.

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

If God gave us some empirical evidence, then yeah, I would believe.

• smiddy
    smiddy

If Neil Armstrong had picked up a rock on the moon,and it was inscribed "Made in Japan" I would be a beleiver ???

smiddy

• Vidqun
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

Sorry, Compatibility View off. I personally believe in the existence of God because of prophecy. No man can accurately predict the future. Only God would be able to. So a good place to start for finding out whether God exists, is to study Bible prophecies. A definition of prophecy: History written in advance. God also gave prophecies for us to benefit ourselves. If you know of an impending disaster, you would be able to protect yourself if you had advance warning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit