Unconditional love?

by Snoozy 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

@OODAD ....While I get the author's point I believe that the difference is that what works in a HEALTHY relationship does NOT in an ABUSIVE, CONTROLLING relationship.

He also makes the common mistake of confusing the SPECIFICS of his (apparently basically good, healthy) relationship with GENERALIZATIONS made about other, very different, troubled relationships.

The converse is also true you can't paint everyone with the same brush ... to say that giving couples are co-dependent !

Notice what the author said

I'm clearly co-dependent (most of those who know me well would attest to that), but I have no anxiety problems whatsoever. And no problems with depression, either. In fact, I am inexplicably happy. And neither my wife nor I have any chemical dependency issues, either. We are in love with each other, and have a great marriage.
    Pity the poor person who has an anxiety disorder. Or more to the point, pity that person's spouse. The solution to "chronic, generalized anxiety" is to
    not do what others's expect,
    be as irritable and unpleasant as you wish,
    make people angry with you,
    don't try to make the people you love happy,
    don't blame yourself when someone you care for is upset with you,
    gain self-esteem from what you do for yourself, rather than what you do for others,
    don't ever care about others so much that you overextend yourself,
    maintain your values and needs even if it means ruining your marriage,
    take from others whenever you can, and
    don't let someone else's anger deter you from your objectives.
    A formula for sociopathic behavior if I've ever seen one. You go in with anxiety and come out a terrorist!
    If you want to know the truth, co-dependent beliefs and behavior

According to Bourne,

"Co-dependency can be defined as the tendency to put others needs before your own. You accommodate to others to such a degree that you tend to discount or ignore your own feelings, desires and basic needs. Your self-esteem depends largely on how well you please, take care of and/or solve problems for someone else (or many others)."

"I look at that definition and think of Mother Teresa, how co-dependent she must have been. Not that I'm a Mother Teresa, but I certainly feel that I aspire to those objectives. If I find my self-esteem in the way I care for others, what's wrong with that? If we were all co-dependent, wouldn't this be a wonderful world?"

Isn't treating healthy people as if they are sick people..... negative , reverse thinking ?

Why start with sick peoples thinking thus putting co-dependency in a negative light ..as something undesirable ?

• caliber
    caliber

what works in a HEALTHY relationship does NOT in an ABUSIVE, CONTROLLING relationship.

If abuse and control are the problem ...then blame it on that , not that one is co-dependent as if

dependant on drugs or alcohol or some such. Co-dependant on giving and caring are not negatives to me !

Love and caring is an "addiction" to be avoided ?

Excellence can be obtained if you:

...care more than others think is wise;

...risk more than others think is safe;

...dream more than others think is practical;

...expect more than others think is possible.

• LV101
    LV101

I recall a professor in psych class (late 60's) spewing out there is no such thing as unconditional love. For the life of me I couldn't understand. Maybe dogs offer unconditional love.

LV101

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Can you help me understand this concept, I have problems having "unconditional love." for people that have screwed me over. Jesus did not have this love for the Religious leaders of his day who were outright wicked! Please explain, am I missing something, what kind of love are you talking about?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    AvocadoJake - Can you help me understand this concept, I have problems having "unconditional love." for people that have screwed me over. Jesus did not have this love for the Religious leaders of his day who were outright wicked! Please explain, am I missing something, what kind of love are you talking about?

The short answer is, "Do you have friends who you love that no organization and other people can state anything to change how you feel about your friends, and actions by your friends towards you or others will not change how you feel about them?" You can still love someone, but that does not mean that you must trust them if they have screwed you or others over. If you choose your friends wisely in the first place, your friends will show you love back and will not screw you over either. Jesus also said to "turn the other cheek" when people say things about you that hurt your feelings and should not be confused with someone hitting you in the face or screwing you over. Most JWs only love other JWs as long as JWs blindly follow the doctrines and practices of the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

I get it now, thanks Robert, I know there is a deep confusion and lack of direction. The love that is suppose to be the trademark of this religion, is not there. People barely know each other, the elders and servants try to entertain each other, get to know their peers and helpers. Pioneer dinners (Love Feast?) and lunches are a thing of the past. The worst hatred I have seen is in the JW society and friends implode all the time. There is nothing that is binding these men and women together, if they dump field ministry, game over! JWs need to integrate some of the Mormon concepts of community if they are to survive this century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit