How did you do it?

by GeneM 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• GeneM
  • GeneM
    GeneM

New to the site, sorry. I was wondering how everyone left. Fade out (stopped going), walk out (disassociate), thrown out (disfellowshipped) or want out (still in).

I walked out in the since that I did research and became an atheist and after a year of a double life I sent my letter. My only regret is that I didn't go the that meeting with my head held high. I've always wondered what proportion leave in the different ways...

• fade_away
    fade_away

I faded extremely quickly. Took about three months to disappear. As for service, I stopped that abrubtly. The reason I think I didn't suffer such a bad fallout was that I faded as soon as I moved congregations...so the elders barely knew me in the new congo and cared little for my disappearance.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Raised from birth as a JW, never baptized, faded out. My parents did not try to stop me. But we never really talked about it. Very confusing childhood and adolescence.

• Heaven
    Heaven

GeneM, welcome! For me, it was in my teens when I awakened. I put my plan together to move away and go to College after graduating from high school. While living at home, I got a part-time job after school and between my farm chores, school homework, and part-time job, I was far too busy to do any Field Serve-Us.

I never felt I had any right to push religion on people. I never went door-to-door and I never got baptized.

It's been tough being a mixed family of JW and non-JW. It's not what I'd wish on anybody.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

My experience is similar to Heaven.

And welcome GeneM!

• wobble
    wobble

I was born in, stayed in for 58 years, then just stopped going, not DA'd or DF'd, just viewed as inactive but dangerous to talk to, I could ruin their faith apparently, so easily.

I had intended to fade gradually, go to one or two meetings, but in the end I just could not face going back for even one more Meeting.

They didn't bother about us much, I got a visit from two enforcer Elders, they couldn't hang anything on me, so they left never to return, my wife never got a visit, she too was born in and in for 58 years.

I suppose I should be happy my exit was so simple, others have been harassed and bullied for ages.

• GeneM
    GeneM

I think the vast majority are fade outs followed by thrown outs. I would have faded but was (emphasis on was) married to a 6th generation fanatic. I sent my letter and never even told her. She showed up to the meeting to the elders telling her her husband was being announced that night. We were done within two weeks.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was abandoned out.

If you look real closely, you can still see the claw marks on the Khall walls, the result of desperately trying to stay in in spite of them.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I was serving as an elder and a substitue circuit overseer when the house of faith started falling apart. I sensed the control, legalism and the intellectual technique of intimidating the rank and file and something clicked inside of me, so I told myself that this is not a genuine way to serve God.The whole attention is placed upon total submission to the GB, The "Jehovah" is just a brand name used to advance their interest and keep the followers under the canopy, the real Gods are the governing body members . Upon realising all of these, I moved to a different country, served as an elder for few months, used on the circuit assembly programs and special assemblies but was not feeling comfortable because all i was doing were just mechanical, devoid of interest and eye service, so i just decided to resign, played the depression card and became inactive. I later went to college to get a degree in Business Administration.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit