What Is Happening To KH Trustees In UK? Tranfering 'Deeds' To IBSA

by BroMac 14 Replies latest jw friends

• BroMac
    BroMac

had a phone call with an Elder friend this week.

and he mentions that they passed a resolution at their meeting this week which involves changing the legal 'ownership' of the 'Deeds' of the KH and transfering it to WTS/IBSA in the UK.

This 'new arrangement' comes direct from WT HQ apparently. He goes on to say how it Passed the approval of the congregation and then laughingly said how1 brother was Not In Favour of the resolution.

he said: "you always get one don't you?"

this was all news to me, as far as i know we have not had this happen here.

what do you guys think?

anyone else heard this?

BroMac

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

sounds like the UK is playing catchup to the US...........

• blondie
    blondie

In the US congregations are set up as non-profit corporations with 3 elders from the congregation that has the property in their territory. The elders are only trustees and do not own anything nor does the congregation. If any of these elders are removed or step down, die, or move outside this congregation, another trustee is appointed by the BOE. If this corporation is dissolved (if the congregation is dissolvedl), the property reverts to the parent non-profit corporation, the WTS, which also functions the same way with trustees with ownership not being held by them or the trustees. I can say that I have seen these trustees disregard the "requests" of COs and DOs to sell property.

Of course, the WTS can and has dissolved congregations and sent the members to another congregation(s). But after awhile, those congregations would be huge.

nonprofit corporation

A legal structure authorized by state law allowing people to come together to either benefit members of an organization (a club, or mutual benefit society) or for some public purpose (such as a hospital, environmental organization or literary society). Nonprofit corporations, despite the name, can make a profit, but the business cannot be designed primarily for profit-making purposes, and the profits must be used for the benefit of the organization or purpose the corporation was created to help.When a nonprofit corporation dissolves, any remaining assets must be distributed to another nonprofit, not to board members. As with for-profit corporations , directors of nonprofit corporations are normally shielded from personal liability for the organization's debts. Some nonprofit corporations qualify for a federal tax exemption under ยง 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, with the result that contributions to the nonprofit are tax deductible by their donors.

http://www.primerus.com/nonprofit-and-charitable-organizations-law.htm
  • BroMac
    BroMac

bump

• wobble
    wobble

Yup bumpity bump, perhaps a U.K elder on here (or recent ex) could explain the present legal position, before this latest resolution, and exactly what the resolution means.

It was my understanding that the K.H's were already owned by a "charitable" trust in the U.K, am I wrong ? and if I am right, is this a transfer really of that trusts assets to a U.S one ?

WTF is going on ?

• Alfred
    Alfred

They're making preparations for a big real estate "sell-off" after time runs out on the 2nd overlapping generation...

• hotspur
    hotspur

he said: "you always get one don't you?"

You do - and that one is probably representative of 95% of the sheeple who wished they had the same courage!

• BroMac
    BroMac

yes i believe there was a change to a trusteeship (is that even a word) around 1997, but as far as i am aware the deeds to the property belonged to the trust which was cared for by the elders/ trustees.so on that basis the local cong still had 'ownership of the deed' which is why there is a change to the trustees whenever an elder moves away or is no longer serving.

under this arrangement the kh will no longer be held in trust by the local cong but will be transfered toHQ including the deeds /ownership of the building.

who benefits if the building is then sold and the local cong is joined to another sharing the new hall that has been built?

BroMac

• besty
    besty

the WTS long ago discovered alchemy:

the creation of cash and property from volunteer labour and tax free donations

everything else is just rearranging the furniture

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Your understanding is correct, BroMac.

This is a relatively new phenomenon in the USA. Kingdom Halls used to belong to the local congregation. They still do. The difference is that over the past 12-15 years or so the Watchtower has "encouraged" congregation trustees to amend their bylaws/articles of incorporation to name the Watchtower Society as the owners of the real estate and other material property should the congregation dissolve.

Who decides when a congregation dissolves? The Borg.

So who REALLY owns your Kingdom Hall?

You can see this if your state's record-keeping system has converted its records to pdf's available to the public. You can look at original articles of incorporation for your congregation (from the 1970s for example), and subsequent amendments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit