Workplace dilemma

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

As some of you know I work in a hostel. About 3 weeks ago 2 ladies came in. They were from out of town and needed a place to stay until they could find jobs and get settled. They are new immigrants and their english is good but not great.

We have religous services in the building on Sunday evenings and one night they heard the announcement for it and I thought they went down. In a few minutes they came back up and 1 of the other residents said they came back because they could not find the chapel. I offered to take them down and they said no - they found it but belived in Jehovah so would not go. I assumed they went because they did not know chapel meant church.

At any rate I said ok no problem and left the room. And then I debated with myself. Should I say something. My position at work is not to preach to people but to care for their physical needs for the most part at least. I do listen to their problems and provide support when asked or needed.

Well I had a real battle inside and finally this morning decided to do something. One had already left after finding a place so it was just a matter of time before the second one left.

I stopped her and asked her what she meant by Jehovah when I asked her about chapel. She said she and her friend had been studying for about 2 years with the JWs. They had not gone to any meetings or contacted any JWs since they arrived here. But the one who had already left was going to start studying again with the hope of being baptized soon.

So I hemmed and hawed and said the reason I asked was that I sort of guessed because of their earlier remark. I told her that I had been a JW for 22 years and had found out some things that I think people should know before they got totally involved. I aslo told her that if she preferred I would never bring this up again but if she was willing I would bring her some information that she should check out before she makes any big decision. And believe it or not she said Yes she wanted to see it.

Well later in the day she cameback and said she had found a place to move to and was leaving but would have to come back later for her belongings if that was OK. I said no problem and wondered if what I had told her made her leave. She said no and said she still wanted to see the information I had.

So now here I sit wondering what is the best thing to give her. Printer is full of ink and I have tons of material but hmmm what is best.

Any ideas?

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• TR
    TR

Oh MAN, Lady Lee!

Where to start, where to start. GOD! There's so much material!

How about WT quotes that show flip flops, or the Mexico/Malawi scandal, something about blood, hiding pedophiles, the lies about 1914 and how it got started, all the different dates, Beth-Sarim.....

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

See TR that is exactly my problem. too much material but Mexico/Malawi was good for me - I mentionned the UN scandal. I need to provide this in writing and might never get another opportunity to even see her. She may come to pick up her belongings when I am not there. She has given me permission to put some papers in her bag. But I don't want to load her down with stuff. Her english still isn't good and I might never get another chance at this with them

Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• TR
    TR

how about this:
    http://www.jwtruth.com/jwt/article.asp?/jwt/articles/propheciesbyyear.htm

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

all 21 pages eh :):):) well I really like that this quotes their own material at them 0 hmmm now where is that scripture about he who tells a false prophesy does not tell a prophesy from God

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

found it -- Deut 18:22

I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.
    If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.
    But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."
    You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?"
    If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

This is extremely inappropriate. You are supposed to be a professional. Act like it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

This is a Christian organization and one of my responsibilities to to help spiritually. It may not be my main focus but I signed a paper that I would help in this area too. So while I would agree that normally I would not deal with this matter part of my mandate is to help spiritually.

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Hi LL

What an opportunity and what a dilemma. If their English isn't great, I'm not sure you'll be able to get into detailed doctrinal discussions with them. On the other hand, going for the 'look what they've got wrong in the past' approach could be put down to apostate lies. After 2 years, I should think they've had this drummed into them.

Presumably there's no way that you can identify exactly what it is that's drawn them to the JW's - emotions, doctrines..? I think the big hook is often the fact that they can 'prove' that they are God's organisation. You know the usual arguments - use the name Jehovah, preach the kingdom message, etc. Randy's got a good article that refutes these arguments - showing the other side of the coin the JW's don't want them to think about. There are plenty of Christian pamphlets around that make the same points too. But again, it depends on how good their English is.

Let us know what you decide upon - and if you find out whether it works.

Love
    Sunbeam
    xxxx

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Sunbeam I actually did grab that article off of Randy's site. Will give it to them when I see them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit