Are Jehovah's Witnesses considered a Catholic schism?

by sabastious 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

The title of your post and the fact that you would even bring such a topic up goes to show that you really do not/don't/or didn't know much about the religion you were involved/brought up with.

Were you ever a JW?

This topic is totally assinine and it looks like you were just picking residue out of your ass to even think about this.

HappyDad

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Well then why don't you inform the person HappyDad or did you just log on to feel tough and insult some stranger because you don't have the nerve to talk to someone's face like that.

Us Jehobers would be in the top right where it says, "restorationalist"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am not sure what they are "considered." But they use a Protestant Bible and their idea of God is not Trinitarian but Unitarian.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The title of your post and the fact that you would even bring such a topic up goes to show that you really do not/don't/or didn't know much about the religion you were involved/brought up with.

Were you ever a JW?

This topic is totally assinine and it looks like you were just picking residue out of your ass to even think about this.

The tone in the link I provided sounded as if Catholics, or at least the ones that wrote the article, look at Jehovah's Witnesses as some sort of offshoot or schism. It sounded like a topic where there would be opinions on the matter so I made a post about it. And yes, of course I was a JW.

-Sab

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    The tone in the link I provided sounded as if Catholics, or at least the ones that wrote the article, look at Jehovah's Witnesses as some sort of offshoot or schism.

I agree that it is a schismatic religion, but not from the Catholic Church per se. In the narrow sense, Witnesses are many branches removed from Catholicism. I understand the lineage is (please forgive any omissions on my part): Catholics --> several Protestant groups --> Second Adventists (Miller) --> Bible Students (Russell) --> Jehovah's Witnesses (Rutherford, Fred Franz). (Yes, Rutherford's coup d' etat was a schism--Russell would hardly recognize what the Watchtower preaches today.)

In a wider sense, Jehovah's Witnesses are a schism from Christianity as a whole: Catholic, Orthodox, mainline Protestant, Baptist, Evangelical, Pentecostal, all other believers but themselves--and they're mighty proud of it! If the Watchtower takes offense at being called "schismatic", that's because the word implies legitimacy of those from whom they have separated themeselves--the ones they call "Babylon the Great", "False Religions", "Christendom", etc.

So Schism--yes, but Catholic--not in particular.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wait- a - sec....

What - WHAT - is that "Assyrian" church??!!! [Thanks, Cagefighter, for posting that 'tree'...]

Looks interesting...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Many seem to confuse the term catholic with being synoymus with the roman catholci church, it isn't.

All christians are catholics, the temr means "universal" and was first applied to the universal church of Christ that ALL christians are part of.

Again, all christains are catholics but only those that accept the authority of the pope/vatican are ROMAN catholics.

The catholic church is comprised of ALL the believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, our loed and saviour, that he died and was ressurected and will come again.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I think for the sake of argument we can assume Catholic means Roman Catholic like when I land on the moon and say "One small step for man" I mean women too.

The Millerites, Adventist and JW's are all classified as restorationals. Researching the branches of Christianity helped me realize the JW's were nothing special but just another branch. It helped with the guilt.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In Scandinavia JWs are generally not consideres christian, but rather a a movement with a christian background or christian resemblance.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    In Scandinavia JWs are generally not consideres christian, but rather a a movement with a christian background or christian resemblance.

Which is a pretty good description for a religion which gives more worship and credence to their own Governing Body and their ancient "Jehovah" than they do to Jesus Christ. They may have some background from the Roman Catholics, but they are a lot like the Mormons in that they have pretty much made up what they believe from pure imagination of the founders. It is interesting, though - that for all their considerable hate of the Roman Catholic Church, they have pretty much copied it organizationally including the Governing Body (and Pope, in past generations).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit