Would Christianity have survived if......

by wobble 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wobble
    wobble

...........the Roman Empire had not adopted it ? They were far from being in the majority at the time,although growth had taken place over a large area, but within that area they were still a minority religion, often an underground one.

So hypothetically, would it just have withered and died, have torn itself to shreds with all the schisms and sects ?

I think that without the power of Rome it would have done just that, perhaps the Coptic church may have survived until the 21st Century and perhaps the eastern Churches, but the Western ? I doubt it, and we would have ben saved from about 2000 sects, and all been happy tree-hugging Druids !

• cantleave
    cantleave

Great question. Being the adopted religion of the most important Empire of the time must have helped this new cult to survive.

I would rather have been brought up as a tree hugging druid than a member of 2-bit, poisonous, joy sucking, autocratic, minority pseudo-religion.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

ah we can but dream...

personally i blame Saul of Tarsus.

oz

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

I don't agree with the premise. I believe the Roman Emipre destroyed Christianity. They hijacked a peaceful religion and filled it with blood shed, hate, and pagan customs.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The confusion of Babylon in the Western world is an event orchestrated by Rome. Orthodox Christianity is the absurd literalization of ancient metaphysical wisdom in the form of allegory and myth. The largest Christian cathedrals were built atop the ruins of Mithraic Temples. The esoteric interpretation of Christianity can never be lost. They can kill all the enlightened people in the world and new ones will be born with "gnosis". They killed them in the beginning and they were still killing them in the Middle Ages. You can't kill God, but Rome killed the feminine half and called it the "Holy Ghost". The result is a Narcissist world with a Narcissist God.

It all boils down to the difference between looking up in the sky for God or looking within oneself. The Whore of Rome certainly knows the truth as they have a sculpture of a pine cone in the Vatican courtyard, which represents the pineal gland.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Maybe Paganism didn't corrupt Christianity. Maybe Chrisitianity corrupted paganism.

I'm with cantleave, I wish I was raised a druid.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Wow. That's too bad about pinecones!

WAIT, what have you got against a gland in the brain that secretes serotonin??? Christians choose the strangest things to hate.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Maybe Chrisitianity corrupted paganism.

Exactly!

WAIT, what have you got against a gland in the brain that secretes serotonin???

Nothing! The crosses and steeples (phallic symbols) and pine cones and Christmas and Easter are all indications that they know the truth.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL---and in that vein---maybe the vatican is not worshipping the pineal gland, perhaps pineal glands are worshipping pinecones!

• wobble
    wobble

When Rome adopted "christianity" as its religion, Constantine had already overseen the quashing of various sects of christendom, i.e the Donatists, and many others had been dealt with earlier, the persecutions just before Constantine destroyed many of the chrisitian's scriptures.

Hence it was only the politically correct "christians" who took power when backed by Rome, and they pretty soon began to persecute any who did not agree with them !

We do not know what Jesus actually taught, neither do we know for sure the full message of the church just after his death, primitive christianity is lost to us in the main, though we have contributions from early writers, but we don't know of their affinity or accuracy.

What is certain is that the religion that emerged because Rome adopted the christian ideas is an already changed religion from what was practised in the 1st Century, I feel that all traces of the 3rd Century forms that were absorbed would have died the death had not Rome picked it up.

The churches that remained independant of Rome perhaps contain more of primitive christianity ? Difficult to say.

We may not here in England, and therefore subsequently in America, have been allowed to remain Druids though, we may have had to convert to the worship of Mithras had not christianity in its bastardised form become the state religion, the Bishops in Britain would not have had the strength to resist if Mithraism were imposed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit