Long time lurker, but new here.

by ICUstaryn 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ICUstaryn
    ICUstaryn

After watching Serenity's video I had to comment. I kept pausing the video looking for family members or others that I might know but haven't seen in years. Hated the drive to Holt, but loved the soft serve ice cream. I'm old but new. I've been a lurker for about 5-6 years. You guys have no idea how coming here has helped me. I was born into this damn cult. I would have been a 3rd generation. My grandmother was baptized into it at 15 in the 1930's. I think she chose this religion because it was what she needed to hear at that time. It's a long story that I will tell on another post. All of her sons including my father became witnesses. She grew up being told that she would never grow old and die, but exactly 2 months before her 87th birthday she died. I miss her, but I hate how this cult tears apart familys. Any religion that divides a family does not originate with the Creator.

I am fortunate that my dad is not a hard line dub. He does not shun me, even though I have told him that this is a cult. I told him as a kid I never felt the genuine love at the hall that Jesus talked about. He doesn't attend the meetings that I know of, and I am glad. I think that he can see through some of their crap, but still believes that this is the "troof". As a kid I felt like nobody understood how lonely and depressing it was to be a kid jdub. It was the most validating feeling to find and read randy's story on freeminds. Randy, if you are out there. Thank You from the bottom of my heart! You have saved me a lot of time and money in therapy. I am glad I finally made the choice to register and login.

• agent zero
    agent zero

Welcome!

wow 5-6 years is a long time lurkin'!

• agent zero
    agent zero

me i'm a 2nd generation (in the real sense of the word) witness. many of us are suffering the consequences of what our parents or grandparents got into at a time when becoming a JW wasn't so intellectually shameful and actually sort of made sense.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

ICUstaryn

Welcome to the crazy place

I'm a 3rd gen too

• ICUstaryn
    ICUstaryn

My grandmother was nieve. Sorry I know I'm not spelling that right. She lost her brother at any early age 2 days after christmas in the late 1920's and her family never recovered. She was the youngest and not treated very well by her mother and sister. I think when the witnesses came along she heard what she wanted to hear at a very impressionable time and got the lurve or fellowship that she had been missing from her own family. Who the heck knows themselves at 15yrs of age? I wish I could have asked her why she never questioned the watchtower's doctrine while she was still alive in good health. I think in her case denial was so very, very powerful. I know it has been for my dad. I love my dad, but I know that for me this religion will finally die when he passes some day. It's only been in the last couple of years that I finally feel like I can celebrate the holidays and not feel guilty or ashamed. I know this may sound crazy, but I stood at her grave and swore that this religion will not pass onto the next generation. It was good therapy for me.

• agent zero
    agent zero
    she heard what she wanted to hear

ah an old familiar situation. and what most witnesses still do so effortlessly.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Welcome . . . glad you finally popped your head up.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Welcome. My grandmother came in during the 30s. I think the depression brought a lot of people in. So I was third generation, but the madness ended with my kids who will not be part of it.

• nugget
    nugget

the problem is that first generation witness have had that moment of epiphany, they saw the light and felt the hand of god. It is their personal belief that forms the foundation for the families belief. As born ins we often feel initially that the fault must be with us because we don't have the same road to Damascus experience or depth of belief. I was so dissappointed that when I got baptised I felt nothing unusual and that worried me. IT is hard the greater the number of relatives in the cult then the harder it can be to walk away since they are held hostage by theorganisation.

Welcome to the board lovely to have some new comments and perspectives

• smiddy
    smiddy

ICUstaryn

Welcome aboard,I don`t know about the rest of you but I get a warm fuzzy feeling when a newbie comes on board

I dont always acknoweldge everyone,but thats just me

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit