Ireland Bethel up for sale

by Mattieu 27 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

could never understand why they had a Branch there in the first place, how many Dubs in Ireland? probably the one Catholic country that had the smallest growth.

• wobble
    wobble

I think it was built in the excitement of the economic upturn that was the Celtic Tiger, an endangered species if there ever was one !

The WT approved because of course it would be funded locally by the 6 thousand or so JW's active on in Ireland (The North + Eire) and the old St. Stephen's Green office was abit tatty I believe, the GB always feel that a posh new building will attract new recruits, maybe they are right.

But they are probably really struggling for local funds now, Eire is in deep DoDO economically, and NY WT will not want to subsidise the Irish H.Q with even one $ if they can help it, so sell they tell the Irish, and don't forget to send the money to WHQ of WT in America, only the GB knows which off-shore accounts to put it in to, sorry I must mean, how it should be handled "for the benefit of the world wide brotherhood".

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

So much downsizing in WT land nowadays.

Bangalore

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Isn't it interesting how they started ramping up their real estate investments just as they were preparing to discontinue literature sales?

There is NO QUESTION that they view real estate as an investment. It's their only real money maker now.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Let's buy it & turn it into a brewery. I'm sure the Irish need another one.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Isn't it interesting how they started ramping up their real estate investments just as they were preparing to discontinue literature sales?

Interesting observation Mad. We were building a lot of new halls around then as well. Then came the change in the congregation 'articles' regarding proceeds of sale. Hmmm.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

It's not much of an investement strategy. The Irish property market is now at a very low point. You don't sell at this point unless you're desperate.

Saying that, It's still probably up considerably from what they paid for it 15 years ago. But if you could hold onto it for another 5 years you might get another half-million. Not bad considering you only have 4 people as slave labour there looking after the place.

• wobble
    wobble

It is patently obvious that the Holy Spirit knows nothing about real estate, and when to sell it. I pointed out years ago that the Brooklyn properties were reaching a peak, and to sell then and move upstate was the thing to do.

But no, they waited until prices had fallen 30%.

It doesn't bother them though, it is just the difference between what they have had to spend and what they get that they look at, and as for waiting a year or two, well "that is Apostate thinking, are you trying to infer that the Big A is not soooooo close like we have said, time and time and half a time again ?"

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Another WTS. HQ goes up on the chopping block.

Its take the money and run time for the WTS.

Mother time with the help of the inter-net is exposing the all the lies and devious corruption of this particular religious publishing house.

The jig is up and the WTS. knows it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

With all these "profits" from property sales, how is it the WT&BTS maintains it's tax exempt status whn it's clearly operating as a real estate firm?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit