Some pretty blatant stuff coming up in bookstudy

by agent zero 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alfred
    Alfred

how do we know the governing body "strictly follows god's word" and also "prove themselves trustworthy"?

because the governing body says so.

and how do we know they're telling us the truth?

because they're the governing body.

and how do we know they're the governing body?

because they strictly follow god's word and have proven themselves trustworthy.

(now go back to the question on top and start all over again)

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

If you detect even a hint of such a tendency

hmm, I don't think that's strong enough.

If you detect even a particle of a molecule of a hint of such a tendancy CONFESS SINNER!!! so we can protect the congregation from your Satanic INDEPENDENT THINKING

Better.

• Ding
    Ding

"The truth" is really quite simple: "The GB is always right."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

NVR2L8 I LOVE the analogy of the two smoke detectors. The Borg false "alarm" goes off in 1874, 1879, 1914, 1915, 1918, 1925, 1975 and they say, "SEE? Our alarm system WORKS!" Any normal homeowner would have thrown the thing out after the first couple false alarms.

As for whether this is just normal Watchtower GB propaganda, the significance of this stuff is that it isn't a random paragraph in a Watchtower article praising the GB - which there always has been and still is plenty of. This is an ENTIRE BOOK dedicated to establishing the Borg leadership as descending in a direct line from first century Christianity. It's the most audacious attempt at doing such a thing that they've ever done.

• agent zero
    agent zero
    Notice they bolster their claim by citing "impartial sources." Normally, the impartial sources would be named in the text

I'm sorry for that one, i left out the sentence that comes after it. I should have included it, but it seemed somewhat unnecessary, vague, and the impartiality of it is highly questionable. But the paragraph concludes like this:

"In his book Truth in Translation, Jason David BeDuhn, associate professor of religious studies at Northern Arizona University in the United States, wrote that Jehovah's Witnesses approached the Bible "with a kind of innocence, and [build] their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there.""

it strikes me how they always take one person's "impartial" view (assuming that's even the whole gist of what he wrote, AND that he has no bias) as proof of having truth, and completely dismiss hundreds of (also) "impartial" claims to the contrary.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Their quote "...the scene of this world is always changing"

35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

The Watchtower keeps adding, substracting (I mean "readjusting") to the word of Jesus and the Scriptures

God, is the Great I AM, not the I WAS, or I WILL BE ...

Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written: "So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge."

The Watchtower version of this verse is "Let the Watchtower Corporation be true, and God a liar ...

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

makes me glad I dont go to meetings. imagine getting all dressed up and driving in the evening just to here that bullshit.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I thought the faithful and discreet slave didn't exist, or at least not in Australia. I hope this article pops up in court how the entire organization is lead by this non-existant entity

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What planet are these people from?

Earth: Victorian era.

-Sab

• Quendi
    Quendi

I want to elaborate on what lifeistooshort said. If we're disgusted with simply reading this stuff, how much worse would it be attending a meeting in a Kingdom Hall where not only would it be read aloud, but then we'd have to listen to all the sycophantic comments that would agree with and even amplify the original statement.

During the last year of my association, I sat in the back of a Kingdom Hall and listened sadly as the virtues of free will and the power of reason were denounced by the literature and congregation members. Naturally, the Society did not use those terms. In their places it substituted its favorite code phrase "independent thinking" in warning against any move away from the authority of the Governing Body. People of otherwise normal and even high intelligence joined the chorus of conformity the organization said was necessary to gain salvation. I found myself thinking if this wasn't the way business was conducted in some totalitarian state and how unchristian the entire meeting was.

Well, I'm now out and realizing just what human rights and freedom really means. I look back on my incarceration in the organization and realize that if I hadn't been disfellowshipped I might still be goose-stepping and marching in lock step with the others. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom, and that is something I never want to forget.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit