She said yes but
    With reluctance.
    She said I do and
    Settled for Mr. There.

Baby came along and made
    This marriage of convenience
    Tolerable, dulling the ache, the
    Pain of not so much a heart broken

As one thickened and rendered insentient.
    Baby grew up, became an ungrateful child
    And cruelly ripped out her aching heart.
    This time it broke, broke for good.

What matters, what really matters,
    Is that she married only ...
    She married only in the Lord.
    She settled; she had no choice.

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Marry only in the lord = Marry on the in the organization; according to WT

• Ding
    Ding

I wonder if the WTS considers the "other sheep" to be "in the Lord" or if that's just for the "anointed."

After all, according to the WTS, Jesus isn't even the mediator for the "other sheep."

• BroMac
    BroMac

lol @ding

or maybe the other sheep can only get married after the 1000yrs, when they will be 'in the lord'.

• blondie
    blondie

Abraham married Hagar (in the lord?)

Rachel married her sister's husband; polygamy is permissible to marry in the lord?

Joseph married an Egyptian priest's daughter

Moses did not marry an Israelite

Israelite soldiers could marry non-Israelites

Marrying Female Captives--Deuteronomy 21

10"When you go out to war against your enemies, and the LORD your God gives them into your hand and you take them captive, 11and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you desire to take her to be your wife, 12and you bring her home to your house, she shall shave her head and pare her nails. 13And she shall take off the clothes in which she was captured and shall remain in your house and( G ) lament her father and her mother a full month. After that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

If current WT policy was applied in Bible times, Queen Esther would have been marked for marrying an unbeliever and Mordechai would have lost his privledges for going to the wedding.

• blondie
    blondie

Good, sapphy, I forgot that one.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have sometimes wondered why the JWs did not make this a disfellowshipping offense - particularly when they are willing to disfellowship people for practically anything else, even smoking.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, dear friends, for your comments. They are appreciated very much.

CoCo Non Plus Epouse'

• Quendi
    Quendi

I learned just how fanatical some JWs are on this point in a discussion I had with an elder some years ago. He condemned his mother for "marrying out of the truth" when she knew what the Society taught. I asked him was his mother happy with the man she had married. He said the marriage had been a good one. Then, to my utter amazement, he went on to say that the "worldly" man his mother had married was his father!

I told him that I didn't see what his complaint was since that marriage led directly to his conception and birth and that he wouldn't be alive otherwise. But that didn't matter to this fanatic. His mother was dead wrong and had deliberately disobeyed Jehovah by marrying an "unbeliever". That conversation showed the power this cult has over its adherents. This man would rather never have been born and his mother yoked to a man who might not have loved her as much as his own father did. Unbelievable!!

As for CoCo's poem, I can only sadly shake my head in agreement. I have seen many Witness women married to men who were absolutely worthless. These men clearly viewed their wives as bedwarmers, cooks and housekeepers. They had no common interests to share with their wives and they weren't even good friends. The organization gets its followers to believe that being Witnesses is enough to make a good marriage. Many go along with this specious reasoning and wind up in marriages that are loveless and abusive. And since there are more Witness women than men, I don't doubt we'll continue to see more of these kinds of unions.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit