Christians Please Explain

by AK - Jeff 134 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Razziel
    Razziel

N.drew, though I don't feel atheism is a lie, I would agree that the statement can apply to a lot of athiests because of the personal motivations that underly their views. Even if Christianity is correct, I'm sure you would agree that a lot of people believe in it for the wrong motivations.

And for your statement about believing something because it's convenient for you, hey there's a rule for that too!

Wizard's Tenth Rule

Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self.

The truth is what should motivate your life, not the lies, or you will fall victim to the first rule and if you ignore the truth you're betraying everything that you believe in, because the lie is more convenient to you than reality. (Phantom, Chapter 12, Page 127)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thank you, Razziel.

The Wizard in these quotes is a wise man indeed. I am not familiar with his novels, since I don't read fiction. Still, no matter from where the wisdom arises, it can be appreciated and applied in life.

Thanx again.

Jeff

• N.drew
    N.drew

I agree. Wizard is wise. So we shall all fall. The reason being is we are one, and cannot come to agreement "you will fall victim" . So you say "you are wrong". I actually do not say "you are wrong", did you notice? No?. Well the truth is I might be right and you are probably right. How? Because (my) God has the power to go away. Aha! I love you you loney orphan. You are very fine to be progressing so well Mr AK - Jeff and you too Razziel! Thank you for sharing.

• N.drew
    N.drew

What we know, that the ancient world did not know, is the world is one, therefore we are one. Jesus knows it, that is why it is good to listen to him, in my humble opinion.

Post 1016, I apologize I sound like mommy.

• Pig
    Pig

The excuses and reasons for believing in religions and Gods can also be used to justify the JW religion.

How can we be so sure God isnt directing JW's? Since when did our human reasoning capabilities become the only way to truth?

The bible is full of just as many flaws as the Watchtower. The idea of a God is full of flaws aswell.

Atheists are usually quite consitant. They dont give the tooth fairy any more credibility than Jehovah or voodo any more credabilty over Islam .

• N.drew
    N.drew

"It is impossible for God to lie" So we are as absolute as you that Jehovah does not call the Society His own.

Do you refuse to believe the world is one, coexistant?

It is, therefore, true believers believe a leader would be very nice. OK?

Christians choose Jesus. Is there something wrong? And it's us? Really? Are you sure?

• Pig
    Pig

If it is impossible for God to lie, yet nothing is impossible for God.

• N.drew
    N.drew

OK scrambled eggs. Nothing that God will do is impossible. There are mutilayers to this race. "Open your good eye" my dad use to say. He has passed away alas, I think he knew about the deception, but I was not ready to listen.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Some true believers may believe their leader is nice. And some believe their leaders are not so nice, and they support that and seek to impose it on others. There was a time when generalities would have fit much better. A day when a group generally agreed. But with Christianity, and many other religions, we see that each individual practically has their own set of beliefs constructed just for them. Then there are the fundmentalists, and in my opinion, the problem. Why does it matter to me? I live in America. This is why it matters to me. . .

Evolution: This is science. There is constant pressure on the part of fundamentalists to introduce Intelligent Design into science classes. The pressure never relents, and we spend so much energy and resources pushing back. America is falling behind, particularly in science because these people try to suppress science. They believe their leader is nice, and therefore, everyone should follow only him.

Climate Change: Hey if science can't be trusted, then why believe the enormous consensus among scientists that humans are destroying the earth? A congressman read scriptures about the flood on the house floor. God promised never to bring about a worldwide flood again, therefore, he does not believe in climate change. So we need to do nothing to modify our behavior because this nice leader is in charge.

Abstinence: Schools teaching abstinence only to teenagers because this nice leader has said that is best. What? It doesn't work and has never worked. Teenagers need to be prepared for reality.

School Prayer: Yeah, we thought this one was settled. But just lilke THE BLOB it pushes through cracks and looks for other avenues. Why is school prayer a problem? Cuz not everyone wants to follow the same nice leader. Those that believe should be offended if a watered down generic prayer that seeks to fulfill the least common denominator is offered up to their nice leader. And those that don't believe should just be offended.

War on Drugs: The nice leader does not like drugs. So how does this translate? Money and resources used endlessly to quell marijuana use. It hasn't worked and will never work. This is one drug that on it's own does no harm. Instead we choose to construct a system that makes marijuana insanely profitable and the business of selling it incredibly dangerous. And when we enforce this war, we aren't banging down doors in white suburbs. We are yanking young, poor, minorities off the street and throwing them into prison and then bitching when they come out and can't find work. For the rest of their lives, they won't find work. What do you think they will do to get money?

Homosexuality: By far the biggest objection to homosexuality is religion. We have a group of people that are denied their civil rights because their rights offend the religious people around them. Hatred abounds---there is always enough to go around when people follow nice leaders.

There is much more. I am okay with believers that practice their faith and construct their lives around their beliefs. But in America we have another reality. A strong religiously motivated political power that seeks to contruct other people's lives as well. Those that don't believe bristle when we feel forced to abide by policy that has no grounds outside of what we consider to be superstition. Maybe we want to buy wine on a Sunday to have with friends and dinner. What? You don't sell wine on Sunday??? WHY? Because that's how the religious people want it.

Yeah--I taught my child about birth control, but why am I supporting this young mother? Why didn't she use birth control? Because that is how the religious people want it. WHAT? China has surpassed us in all areas of science? We were the best--we have the brightest. Why can't we compete on the world stage??? Because that's the way religious people want it.

What do you mean species are dropping into extinction faster than we can count? What do you mean our climate can't support the food we need to grow? Why have hurricanes destroyed my home that is clearly outside the zone? Why has our climate changed unstopped??? Because that's the way religious people want it.

Why have we allowed ourselves to reach an ecological armegeddon? Because that's the way religious people want it.

I totally get that some want to mind their own business and do their own thing. I love that about them. But it's not the reality where I live. Fundamentals seek to impose and change policies, even if it means a loss of civil rights, even if it means manufactured ignorance and even if it means the death of us all.

So I have nothing against you N.Drew. But we can't deny that religion has always been a powerful force and in many ways has worked in a counterproductive manner. If the rest of us sit by passively, we may not have an earth that can sustain life. If we allow the fundamentalists to set policy, we invite suffering at the hands of their nice leader. I get the sense from your post that you want to be left alone with your beliefs--and I can respect that. Of course posting here invites people to challenge you, so that will continue. But I'd like to be left alone too. Unfortunately that is not an option for me. My daily life is molded by fundamentalists as they ram through policies that have no basis other than their beliefs.

NC

• tec
    tec

Religion and fundamentalists are not God, nor Christ. So faith does not go to or come from them. Religion and politics - as history tends to show... is a terrible mi X. If the people in your scenarios above were following the one they claim to be following, then most of those problems would not be worth a mention, at least in terms of coming from faith.

Razziel - I haven't read Terry Goodkind. Those rules (especially that first one) would apply to atheists as well. Faith is not rejecting reason. It can be, but that does not mean that is a fact of faith. Atheism can be rejecting reason as well; choosing to believe or not to believe what a person wants.

A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole.

I agree. But if you don't know the truth, then how do you know which parts might be a contridiction?

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit