Ban Sisters from wearing pants/slacks!!! Why? Who "wears the pants" at the hall?

by Witness 007 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Lilbluekitty - What scriptures could they qoute you regarding pants???

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Many investment banks, law firms. Pharmaceutical sales people tell me they can wear pantsuits in the field but must wear a skirt suit to internal meetings. I worked for a major Wall St. law firm and pants would not be welcome. I never said all corporate environments but many still want a skirt suit. Interesting b/c my firm's partners could not get enough of secretaries and receptionism in super tight pants. It depends on the field and geographical locale. I would never wear a pants suit to more formal settings.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that i can it do? Personally, I think hardset rules are silly. I don't like wearing pants to church b/c I'm not engaged in heavy labor or climbing up mountains. If I can do it for work, I can do it for church. Other women wear pants, even jeans. I like the gamut of attire. No, I wrote what I to intentionally lie. Your world is not my world.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

PS- I think there are sexual politics present in whether woman can wear pants or not. When I did a lot of sexual discrimination work, the airline attendants were predominantly. They had about 50 dress rules, including mandatory contact lens, uniforms, heel height, even down to the color of their luggage. There was concern they would show up with pink suitcases. Pilots, navigators, stewards had a minimal uniform requirement. They could wear eyeglasses. No one was worried about their suitcases. Men were assumed to know what was proper in the corporate image. Women were expected to send a wrong signal. Rules such as those are now illegal gender discrimination.

My example of skirted lawyers and oh so tight pants and tops on secretaries reveals much. It strikes me that Russell's and Rutherford's writings were not so much about women in subjection (which bothers me deeply) but the view that women are sexual predators. The crux is who makes up these rules? Are there committees of equal number of men and female executives to address a dress code? Who determines that pink (female) is unworthy but brown or grey or black is permissible.

Personally, if it were permissible to change into jeans and a T-shirt after hours (when no clients would normally roam), they would have received many more billable hours from me.

The dress code itself is not that important to me as who has the power to designate what is corporate. I recall the days when Vogue covers were always blonde and blue eyed.

• designs
    designs

Does this mean I can't wear my Kilt.

• talesin
    talesin

designs ,,,

I formally give you permission to wear your kilt w/ traditional accompanying attire.

tal /

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Witness 007- I can't remember now which ones but basically the worst of them, my cousin K (I'll leave her name at that) ended up running out of scriptures (she used ones about being modest or not wearing gold, which didn't have anything to do with what I was talking about, you know, Paul's writings, I can't remember which specifically) started posting bits and pieces of articles from the WT and it was then that my husband (non-JW) shook his head and said they're all a bunch of hypocrites because they say other religions don't know how to use their bibles and yet in reality half or most of their rules don't even come from the bible and aren't even based on bible principles. After awhile too many people, including non-JW friends on Facebook were getting upset about the war of words so I ended up just taking that status message down.

Good arguments need good facts. *shakes head*

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It's a throwback to the pre-1960's view of how women should be. The Governing Body has always been from a pre-1960 era. They make the rules, including no pants, gauchos, shorts, cool-outs, etc.

Skeeter

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

fitted skirts are f'ing hot

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

It's a male chauvinist thing.

And the beard ban? Try, "It's a control thing." Wear a T-shirt to a JW party that has the name of your favorite band on it. If it isn't the Wiggles, you'll probably get "counseled" on it. I've been dragged into the back room over a beard, ties, wearing a hat, etc. JWs are a cult and everyone must look the same. Anything that's different makes the cult members uncomforable. Interestingly, they'll try to invoke "Christian unity" as a reason. This is odd, because Jesus said "the world" only loves its own and hates anyone different. To attempt to twist that into a "Christian" attitude is disgusting and blasphemous.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Aha! I found some of the private messages on FB my JW family members wrote me after that FB fiasco. I never did reply back to these.

Cousin K- I agree that pants can sometimes be more modest. I don't think modesty is the issue with pants. Some skirts and blouses are immodest--and I'm not necessarily talking about short skirts or low-cut necklines. Much of today's fashion is described by fashion writers and designers as "sexy". Would a Christian woman want to be seen as "sexy" in light of what Jesus says at Matt. 5: 27, 28. Would a Christian sister purposely dress in a way to cause a man to look at her with sexual longing? So as Jehovah's people we want to avoid any kind of dress that is immodest. The issue with pants, though, is much what has been stated before. We are a "theatrical spectacle to the world". If you wanted to make a really good impression on a potential boss, a judge or government official, which form of dress do you think would make the best impression? My brother and sister-in-law were competing with others for the house they now rent. They got it because the owner was impressed that they came for the interview in meeting clothes--suit and tie, and dress and low heels. She felt that since they showed self-respect and respect for her, that they would properly care for the house. In western culture, dresses or skirts and blouses, suits for men, are still considered the best choice when wanting to make a good impression, not on Jehovah nor the brothers or sisters, but on those who observe us. Paul said at 2 Cor 6:3 "In no way are giving any cause for stumbling, that our ministry might not be found fault with." Let the things they say about us in a negative way be lies, things they fabricate, rather than give them ammunition. Whether we like it or not, the way we dress speaks volumes about us. Otherwise, there would be no value in books like "Dress for Success". If we went to the meetings and out in the ministry looking like the world, they would think we are part of the world. But our appearance can appeal to the hearts of those who are righteously inclined. Right away, by our dress we show we are different. And isn't it true? If you are eating at a restaurant after the meeting or while traveling on a weekend, and people come in dressed in suits and ties and dresses, don't you just assume they are our brothers? We've met some nice witnesses when traveling just from that one fact. Same thing after a convention. When we were in Las Vegas, the better restaurants had a dress code. Men were required to wear a shirt, tie and jacket or sweater, and women had to wear a dress. (Of course, being Las Vegas they probably did accept men in drag....rolls eyes). Just illustrating how dress is important not just to us but the world. I don't think any of us are trying to impose our opinions on you. You do what you think is appropriate. We are all just trying to explain to you why we do what we do. You see, the churches have lowered their standards over the years. Up until the early 70's no one would think of going into a church attired any other way but in a suit for a man and dress or skirt and blouse for a woman. But they lowered their standards when people stopped coming to church. Churches started closing down because there was not enough money to keep them going. So they thought by lowering the dress code they would attract a bigger attendance. As the years have gone by, that dress code has gone downhill even more--more here, I think than in the south, especially [location]. But we are not governed by the fashions of the world, nor by its standards for morality. Here again, our dress indicates we have a different standard for morality. Jesus is the one who said we are to be no part of the world. That is not a man-made rule. When someone writes somethings, it is often difficult to catch the tone of voice. If I was talking to you directly, you would understand I have deep respect for you. And I have a desire to help you find your place in Jehovah's congregation. That is true also of your grandmother, your father and your Aunt. You are more than family to us. You are also our spiritual sister. We have your relationship with Jehovah in mind when we talk to you. Some of the other people who left comments love you also. But they are also part of the world and reflect the world's thinking. So , please keep that in mind. I know, I can go on and on and on. But I hope most sincerely it has helped you. Hang in there sweety. You are very much loved by Jehovah!

Then my aunt and grandmother each replied saying *amen*.

Then my father's wife (read my first post on the forum for background) said: Very well said K and right on target. One older Greek brother used to comment about the Catholic's saying they go to church in their "BVD's". We see it with the church right down the street. I think my meeting clothes attire made a good impression when I was hired for my job. As a receptionist I am the first person they see and represent the company so being modest and well arranged is important. People do judge by first appearances.

There ya go, straight from JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit