Did You Feel Bad For "Unbelieving Mates" That Would Go To Meetings?

by minimus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    They always seemed VERY uncomfortable. Bored and squirming in their seats. It was obvious to me even as a child that they did not believe that crap and thought we were all cuckoo.

I went to the Kingdom Hall a couple of times (under duress), to hear the BiLs' first 'Talks' when they made the grade to become 'Ministerial Servant' (plus a wedding every other year or so). You can only occupy yourself so long, covertly counting how many times they cite their own publications vs. how few for the Bible upon which they claim to base their teachings, how many 'pure language" buzzwords that each speaker and question-answerer scrupulously used, listening for various logical fallacies, and hearing the same exact same 'Wedding Talk' every time (no matter which Elder was officiating).

Other than that, it was peeking at my watch, wondering "When they this finally be over?", and remembering how uncomfortable it is to wear neckties and suit coats in July.

Overall, sitting through that for the sake of some temporary family peace was what Catholics call redemptive suffering:

"Therefore, we are not discouraged; rather, although our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this momentary light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison..." (2 Cor 4:16-17)

In other words, if you don't believe in Purgatory, just go to a meeting and experience it yourself!

• carla
    carla

Easy out for ubm's is to make a deal, 'first you go to a church of my choosing then I will step foot in a kh'. A jw will never ever go to a church so the ubm is off the hook for life. Never have the deal the other way around due to the lack of integrity of a jw to keep to his/her end of the bargain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit