Did You Feel Bad For "Unbelieving Mates" That Would Go To Meetings?

by minimus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I did.

Typically, it was the JW wife that pleaded with her hubby to PLEASE go and the husband, because he loved his wife/ family went along and endured the boring mundane meetings.

Isn't it funny how everyone would cozy up to the "unbeliever" and invite him to "gatherings" even though he was very "worldly"?? yet if a baptized JW was just a little bit off the "theocratic mark", they were avoided????

• Eustace
  • flipper
    flipper

Yeah, I did feel sorry for " unbelieving mates " - because usually they we're being coerced by the" believing mate " to attend nd did it just to shut the JW mate up or make a more peaceful existence in the homelife. Pretty sad. It's terrible to have to be a fake person for someone elses wishes

• minimus
    minimus

I knew a guy who "studied" for YEARS. He was one of my best friends and his wife was my (ex)wife's best friend. he would tell me how he tolerated everything for his family and being a cop, he believed being a JW kept his wife and family out of trouble.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I usually figured they were a little weird. I mean, how do you manage to end up with a JW? Why bother attending if you feel no compelling reason to? Well, now I know...

--sd-7

• minimus
    minimus

A lot of mates were not JWs originally.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, yeah, of course. I mean, my mom wasn't originally a JW. It just seems like it takes a special kind...out o' nowhere, all this crap comes in your home and etc.

--sd-7

• TD
    TD
    I mean, how do you manage to end up with a JW?

Meet one who likes you?

In retrospect, it probably helps if both parties are young and naive too.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes. I had 3 uncles who were never baptized JWs but they came to meetings occasionally to please their wives and children. They always seemed VERY uncomfortable. Bored and squirming in their seats. It was obvious to me even as a child that they did not believe that crap and thought we were all cuckoo.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Well, that's how my mother and other sisters mentally beat down their husbands, worked in my mother's case however, my father finally got bapized 19 years after my mother and became an elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit