Panic Attacks

by trailerfitter 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• d
    d

I used to have a lot of panic attacks myself and the doctors thought it was high blood pressure.It was due to the stress. I was only 15 at that time.The stress was caused by the hectic lifestyle of a witness.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    But if that feeling, in the chair, was a 10 on a scale of 1-10, then these feelings are about a 5-6 for about a second or so. I've even had a slight body jerk, or twist, kinda like when you are chilled. Get this, even have made a slight vocal sound when it is worse.

Welcome to JWN, Not Just Yet! What you described could be anxiety or a number of other things. I would get checked out by a neurologist just to be on the safe side. Your description of these episodes is similar to what my cousin says is a light seizure.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think true panic attacks are more common among those who are born in, because all they ever know is that destruction is imminent and, unless they give up their lives for the witlesses, they will be among those destroyed. They also panic because they need to pious-sneer, or they will die. When they don't want to pious-sneer every damn vacation away, they are threatened that they will get destroyed unless pious-sneering is in their hearts. Along with guilt and shame, they are likely to think their destruction is imminent.

And, everything is a sign that the end is imminent. Times get better, "Peace and security will precede the end". Then, when things start going bad because the governments are starting to reap as they sown, they cry "This is the beginning of the end". You get earthquakes, "the end is about to happen". Some idiots fly planes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon, "The end is upon us". The Dow drops 600 points, they are crying that the end is about to happen--yet, when it gains back those 600 points they are equally certain the end is nigh. They see a spell of heavy Christmas songs, "Babylon the Great is about to fall". Then, when the Christmas songs become wimpy, "Babylon the Great is falling". All of which are signs that, unless you are pious-sneering, you are about to get destroyed.

This kind of panic attacks usually get less once you realize that the witless religion is built on the scam that the end is nigh (starting in 1874). Then, you get a different type of panic attack--the kind where you dream you are at the Kingdumb Hell, wondering why you were so dumb as to attend (and promising that this will be your last time, despite that in the dream you made that promise before). Another panic situation is finding yourself in a car group en route for field circus, at the place where they are meeting for field circus, or en route to the a$$embly. You don't want to go out, but there is no graceful way to avoid field circus that day. The threat is 180 o different--before, you had to do something. Now, you have to not do that very same thing.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Ive had panic attacks for 11 years.

( I studied for 6 years with the JW before they dumped me beacause of my agoraphobia, couldnt go out in FS)

You wifes dreams are probably more to do with her unconcious thoughts rather than panic.

If she is an anxious/nervy person anyway, maybe spend sometime with her having a chat to acertain if she is worried and stressed about anything that shes hasnt mentioned to you.

If she is studying, I can say from experience, the pressure will eventually push her over the edge as her every thought and action starts to become intertwined with the rules and regulations of the cult.

Make sure you have quality time to relax together, best wishes.

Paula x

• roxanesophia
    roxanesophia

This reminds me...

The first time i'd ever encountered panic attacks was at a kingdom hall. The girl in front of me was shaking and sweating and then got up and ran out of the room. I turned around to see if she was going to be OK, and people in the row behind me were laughing. God's people, eh?

I told my study conductor that their behavior is disgraceful and she said "They're not perfect." What a bunch of hypocrites. Put serious doubt in my mind: they go door to door apaprently caring for people but haven't got compassion for one of their own?

Took everything in me not to yell at them "You're going to the hell you don't believe in!"

I almost have a panic attack myself thinking i nearly became a judgmental jehovah's witness who thinks peddling man made literature and being a good pioneer matters more to God than being a good person.

• talesin
    talesin

roxan :O right on!

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Panic attacks are definitely common. Had them as a publisher, ministerial servant, and elder. Could feel my heart racing with anxiety just going to the KH. The congregation is a pressure cooker. People are constantly judging you, and you are constantly reminded of the need to do more for Jehovah or He'll be displeased, and that soon everything you have and/or love will be taken away in the Great Tribulation... oh, and that you may or may not survive Armageddon.

I know so many on medication. Terrible self esteem issues... because if you think more of yourself than is necessary, then you are being selfish. If you think differently than others, then you may be turning apostate... or if you say something wrong, will others suspect you're an apostate?

I'm getting all flustered just thinking about it again. I haven't been to a meeting in months... and I don't miss it. Actually, I enjoy my Thursday evenings and Sunday's now!

• sizemik
    sizemik

I had my first while still a witness. I had taken on a lot more work in a congo we had recently moved to and reluctantly accepted an invitation on to the BOE. One day at work I walked off the job, got in my car and drove 2500 km's before I came home 4 days later. I'm not sure if it was a panic attack in the classic sense as it lasted for 4 days . . . but my clothing visibly bounced off my chest the whole time.

I stayed like that for about three months before a particular medication alleviated it. In some ways it did me a favour . . . I began to question and 12 months later I was OTWO.

That was 8 years ago . . . and they still hound me from time to time . . . quite a lot lately. I don't have to dream earthquakes and disaster at the moment as they're actually happening. For 46 years of my life I never had mental health problems. My life as a witness is what created the problem . . . of that I have no doubt.

• cskyjw.sun
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had night terrors about Armageddon and demons. They were so vivid. My heart would pound so hard I was certain it was a heart attack. The dreams persisted long after I left the Witnesses. I discussed them with mds and therapists. It made no sense to me that I was absolutely repulsed by the WT and had not a shred of rational belief. Further, I had no contact with JWs. My friends, employers, etc. would just laugh at Armageddon and demons. I laughed very hard during the day. For some reason, I thought demons could not live in daylight. To this day, 40 years later, I still sleep with a night light.

They slowly disappeared after about fifteen to twenty years. I believed the demons would come at him from out of my closets and behind door hinges and shower curtains. Current stress exacerbated it. Years after I left I became very ill with pain that stressed me completely. I was alone in my apt in NY. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I was in total terror of something behind the shower curtain. I called a secular Jewish giflfriend. She was shocked by how hysterical I was. I am practicing law on Wall St. It was so, so out of character. She telephoned my mom for my mom to come to my apartment. I cried and cried as she gave the comfort of her presence on the phone. It was a transient incident. She considered telephoning for an ambulance.

I believe such experiences are common in fear religions. No matter what I did I never felt I had any chance of surviving Armageddon. Christ was perfect. How could I ever be as perfect as Christ.? Christ was not really human. Even as a born-in, I was never reassured of Jehovah's love and what a haven J. is.

No, it was all terror.

I knew people who trekked far to receive treatment for panic attacks with experimental medicine. There are definite biological triggers. I suspect that the normal anxiety generated from fear makes you less resilient and hence, the panic attack. 9/11 triggered so many New YOrkers. I was on the verge of panic attacks. My body was flinching before I was conscious of planes overhead. Other New Yorkers understand what the stress was like. 9/11 afficiandos who live elswehere just don't comprehend it. No place seemed safe. There were no precautions. Indeed, nurses and doctors completely freaked out b/c they volunteered to go down en masse to help. The Red Cross told them it was so bad that there was nothing to do. Filing papers, pushing a broom, just anything - there was nothing constructive most people could do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit