a little stuff about me, and a request

by flower 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• flower
    flower

i hope this doesnt come out sounding self righteous or anything like that. but i have to say it. forgive me if it sounds like an attempt to...i dont know..gain sympathy or something like that...its not.

i have been here a lot over the past couple of months since i found out the truth about the truth. i've used this place as sort of a support system. reading posts, chatting with people, asking questions ect. i feel like you are all are friends. even the ones who i have never spoken to or who dont even know i exist. i still consider them friends because to me the site as a whole is what helps me...even the fluff. i have made friends here and hope to make more. this site has been very helpful to me and i've come to rely on it to get me through this. i dont really have anyone in my real life that i can talk to or go through it with so i consider this board like a family.

i have been rejected and thrown away like trash several times in my life. by my father at a young age for reason i cant explain right now, by the organization and thus by jehovah, by my closests friends in the world.

each one of these were crushing blows to me emotionally. all led me down a path of self destructive suicidal thinking. they were VERY hard times for me. i felt i wasnt good enough or worthy of anyones love. especially after being rejected by what i believed was God. each time i fell head first into a bottomless pit of depression and self hate. i hated myself for being me..a worthless unlovable lousy excuse for a human. these feelings of worthlessness, deep self hatred, suicide plans and attempts, self mutilation, eventually medication and hospitalization are pretty much all i had known in my life.

those feelings dont just go away especially when you have to face the rejection and hatred every day.

i had to face it at home..i cant remember the last time i had a general conversation with the father here...i was probably around 12 or 13 when he started to cut me off. by the time i was 16 he stopped most acknowledgement of my existance. this was before i was baptized. and it was only a couple years later he learned to walk right by me in the hallway as if i was invisible..this was before i was df'd. i felt sick inside each day that he was around and not acknowledging me. a part of me hated me a little more each time he reinforced the fact that i was not worthy of existance.

then i had to face it at the hall. i didnt fit in and wasnt worthy of friendship by anyone there. the more depressed i was the less i socialized with them and the less i did the more they treated me like i didnt exist. the more i was treated like i didnt exist the more i felt i was unworthy of existance. this was mostly before i was df'd and of course continued after i was df'd and trying to get back in.

i faced it at school. being a dub i didnt have school friends as a kid. but as i got junior high and high school i wanted to fit in and was willing to live a double life. i figured i would do what other kids did in school and lie about it when i got home and pretend to be a good little witness. other witnesses were doing it on a regular basis. but the more depressed i was about the home and kh situation the more i was a loner in school. the more i was a loner the more they treated me like i was invisible. like i didnt exist. the more i felt unworthy of the air i breathed.

i felt it every day from the god i believed in. the more depressed i felt the more i prayed and begged god to help me. i prayed for happiness. for just one person that i could just let the gaurd down and talk to about my feelings honestly. the more i prayed without results the more i felt i was unworthy of such things. unworthy of existance. how dare i even attempt to come before god with a request!

one of the most crushing blows was when i was rejected as an adult by close 'wordly' friends. for reasons i cant explain right now i was cut off with no warning by people who i loved dearly and who i felt loved me which is something no one had ever done. the reasons for the shunning is complicated but it goes back to the borg. but anyway it took me a good year and a half before i was able to think of those people without pain. i truly felt unworthy of love because these were a couple of the nicest people in the world as far as i was concerned. if they rejected me then i was most definately not worthy of love or air.

so i had a child that i wanted to raise the best i could and the happiest i could. so after my release from hospitalizaion april of 00, with the exception of a few down periods, i learned to mask these feelings and keep them bottled so that on the surface i can be ok enough to take care of and love and raise my son. i took meds occasionally that gave me a superficial feeling of being ok. never happy or even positive but ok to the point that i could work again and care for my son. even though i didnt think of it often, in the back of my head i always figured one day if i could get myself together enough to move away and go back to the org in a new congregation and try again. but i didnt live my life that way. i wanted my son to have a few happy years in case of armageddon so i was secretly living like a non witness.

this is where i was in life on dec 24 01 when i was sitting here depressed about not having christmas with my son like i planned on because i couldnt afford to move out like i wanted and came across an xjw chat room (not this one).

i am telling ya'll this because it seems all the people here are in different stages of recovery..some are even fully recovered i guess. but i am for all intents and purposes just starting out this journey. even though i faded away from the org and was eventually df'd i was still a mental prisoner. i still believed it all until recently.

so i have a lot of work to do to undo the emotional damage that was done over all those years. that first day of realizing that there were xjws and that the society wasnt real was so freeing that i thought that all the pain and psychological damage would just go away. but it will take time to rid myself of the thoughts i used to have. i have finally made a therapy appointment because i realize its not going to be possible without help.

the reason i started writing this was to ask that you please not reject me here like others in my life have done. i know that i have said some things here that were taken as hurtful to different ones. but i really am not a hurtful person and i would never delibrately hurt anyone here. so if you are offended by something i said the way a couple of people earlier today and earlier tonight and earlier this month were, please know that i really didnt do or say whatever it was to be hurtful. i never would. if you are hurt by me please tell me so that i can apologize because i can assure you it wasnt my intention to hurt you. please dont handle it by yelling at me, running from the room angry, cursing me out or for gods sake please dont throw me away or decide i dont exist to you...a couple have done that here and that hurts more than you know! well actually maybe many of you do know.

i hate to even admit to being in such an emotionally fragil state because its kinda humiliating and makes me feel unintelligent and childish. but this is where i am and i am working hard.

so i am asking this anyway and i hope you understand. i only said the above about my upbringing to give you a little background as to why anger and rejection towards me are so emotionally damaging especially while swinging wildly on an emotional pendulum the way i have been lately. hopefully you understand and will help me by not being that way if i do something or say something you dont like. like i said you guys are all friends to me..i couldnt ask this of someone who wasnt a friend.

i am willing to do the same for anyone else in this situation. i dont believe there are very many bad people here so i know if i am hurt its not intentional and i will forgive and forget.

sorry this is so long

flower

• ladonna
    ladonna

Dear Flower,

I won't throw you out. A lot of us are a lot more fragile than we care to admitt sometimes. Your post was a good one and explained a lot. Sadly, the road you are on now is one that we have all been down, and the wounds still exist.

If someone leaves a chatroom ect...maybe it's in tears. I have done this, and I am sure a lot of others have as well. It isn't YOU, it's our own pain.

If you ever want to really chat, email me at [email protected]...

Love,
    Ana

• larc
    larc

Flower,

I think you know already that we won't reject you. Most of us have been very sympathetic. If someone gets angry at you, just remember they are hurting too, so don't let one person upset you when many are supportive.

Not only are you a flower, but you are a flower that grew up threw the concrete, like many of us. Not only that, you are a beautiful flower. Now, if your name was asshole, we might stomp all over you..hee hee.

Every morning when you get up, look in the mirror and say, "I am a good person, and I love myself."

• Prisca
    Prisca

(((((((( flower )))))))))

Honey, there are many wonderful people on this board who will not reject you, who understand the deep pain that comes from being ignored by your friends and family, and the struggle of depression.

Once you are here for a little while longer, you will discern who are those that care, and those who do not.

Larc and Ladonna are two of the former. I hope you will come to learn that I am a caring person too.

Hang in there girl. Life is tough, but you are much tougher!

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Hey there... we have similar backgrounds and both of us in a tussle is a scary thing. Nobody (including myself) that I know of, wants you gone. Hang out. You will learn quite a bit and perhaps recieve support during these nutty times. Most of us lost everything during our own personal WT armageddon and that's why we're here. We can't accomplish anything apart. Again, I appologze for the moron statement, and my last post was not making fun of you. It is actually making fun of some of the shit I've heard locally (here in good old south Mississippi). Take care!

"Brother, you better get down on your knees and pay...a thousand more fools are being born every f***ing day" -Bad Religion
  • jesussaves
    jesussaves

Flower,

Email me, girlfriend. I used to chat with another young lady on the support4xjws.org board, and we talked about the differences in leaving the JW for African-Americans. Actually, our whole experience as JWs has alot of different nuances, but I guess that's with any religion. This is not to diminish anyone else's support to be sure! All words of love and encouragement are essential to the healing process. It's just another thing in common that we have. Your story sounds so much like mine. That depression and self hate is real especially when fear and mind control tactics have been used on you since you were a child.

I am definitely going to pray for you. For your recovery and for your deliverance from a lifetime of brainwashing. This is not to sound like a 'holy roller', but the prayers of others helped me. Jesus loves you, flower, and he has not forgotten you. Jehovah has not turned his back on you and you have not turned your back on him. His arms are open wide and waiting to embrace you.

Email me if you want to talk more, because I don't want to offend anyone on this board.

• qadreena
    qadreena

hi flower, you and me have had very similar experiences, i got out about 14 years ago, at first i did everything rebellious, drink, drugs and all that, then a few years later i stopped the drugs and had to face it, i went through suicidal thoughts, got rejected by my new worldly friends because my lifestyle was changing (i didnt do drugs no more), i got very very depressed, i think i was always depressed from an early age but never realised it till i was truly free from the org and the drugs, 12 years down the road i have plenty of friends and a good man but i still suffer with a lot of problems due to the way i was brought up, i have bipolar disorder so i am suicidally depressed quite regularly and have a lot of other problems as well
    i was DA'd and i wasnt even baptised, jw's have since branded me a liar cos apparently it doesnt happen anymore and i was very reluctant to come on here, even though most here are ex-jw's, there was still some who didnt think that could happen and the rejection feelings started again but i struggled and am still here, i very nearly left this place and am very glad i didnt, i havent really spoke to many on here but theres one or two......
    at the minute i am hyper so i am emotionally strong but its starting to dwindle, i can feel myself becoming fragile again, the easy way to control this is acknowledge other peoples problems so i can forget my own until im manic again, thats the way it goes for me and it works
    i say things quite regular that sound wrong to other people, i just blurt things out or i dont know how to express myself properly and i often end up losing friends because of this, if people on here realise what you might say is unintentional they wont reject you

i hope you dont mind me just telling you about myself, its a bit selfish of me i know but i cant find the right words to respond with, (i told you i was starting to get fragile too!)
    its kinda comforting to know theres someone else around who's going through the same as me which is why i stayed

i know we havent spoke since yesterdays encounter but feel free to email me if you wanna but dont feel obliged to do so

xxx angel xxx

• 25ashitaka25
    25ashitaka25

Just remember one thing, Flower. People offering support can be just as dangerous as those oppressing you. Use caution.

Good luck, and you'll become strong again. It comes with time. Don't worry about the nuances right now, just try to get past the big things slowly, and don't concern yourself with people you have to fight with. Avoid them, or lay down the law. You owe it to yourself.

ashi

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hey Flower, I was just reading through your other thread and lost my conection in the middle of a reply to it. AHHhh!. Anyway I hope you don't take this wrong i'm not trying to seem cold or to blunt but A lot of us have and are where you are. Thats why a majority stay because it becomes obvious that you have a better chance of finding at least a few here who will feel the same as you do or come to the same conclusions. It's a good place to start anyway, at least you are not isolated here. You might get chewed out once in awhile for an opinion or two but I dought you will ever be shunned by the entire board because you may disagree with anothers belief.
    With me anyway, the first thing I had to do before I started understanding that I AM worthy, and I haven't been rejected by God was to seperate the ora of the "Building" and the "decissions" made in that "building" from God. I personally couldn't care less about proving Gods existance or non-existance. I believe God exists. I use to pray and pray and get so angry at God for not answering me. I was as disapointed as they come in God and all the BS. I'm glad I for what ever reason, was never able to go that extra inch and kill myself. I came very close many times but something in me always made me stop. I'm not sugesting "Divine intervention" I'm just saying there was a reason. When I stopped looking to God through the eyes of an outcast or a misfit and really understanding that I don't have to belong to a group of people and have their approval before I am worthy to talk to God, Everything completely changed for me. I still have plenty of ups and downs. Still fight depression. But I deal with STUFF so much better and I feel a lot of comfort inside that I never felt before because I was constantly batteling with the opnions of Groups of people in churches and my own opnions. I use to think my own opnions were less relivant because they were not backed up by a crow'd quoteing scriptures to prove there right and i'm wrong.
    I learned to read the Bible before I went to school. Scriptures were what I got everynight for bed time stories and before I even went to kindergarden I was learning all the alphabets and reading from the Bible. Not only the NWT but several different Bibles because my mom would show me the difference in the way people spoke in different translations. If only I could spell now i'd have it made.
    I don't like quoting scriptures to prove points or back up a belief I have. IMO unless your going to quote the entire chapter and tie it in to what your point is it's no different then trying to prove your case in a court of law. quoting a few scriptures here and there leaves to many openings for objections. I do like reading other posters arguments using quotes from the bible though. You never know what your gonna get. I started rambeling on and on I didn't mean to do that. I really just wanted to say stop feeling disgarded.
    I don't remember if you were a lifer or not (jw) but reading some of your posts and reply's i'm assuming you at least have a large chunk of your self tugging at you.
    GAWD Blah blah i'll shut up now. If you want to rant e-mail anytime.
    plmkrzy

• flower
    flower

Ladonna-thanks, i am glad you posted. i think am getting better at looking at what could be going on in other peoples lives when they are hurtful (not just here but in daily life) and it has definately helped me to release some of the negative feelings that accompany being mistreated (or what i percieve as mistreatment).

if i'm having a good day, no one can really get to me emotionally. the bad days are the ones that i need to learn to work on. a persons comments or actions means the same whether or not i am having a good day or bad, the difference is whether i allow it to roll off or allow it to trigger the kind of feelings i described above. i've had a bit of trouble doing the former but i'm working on it. i fully recognize that this is 'my' problem not anyone else and i'm sure eventually i will learn not to let other peoples opinion of me affect me so much. i hope so anyways.

larc-thanks. as a whole everyone has been very supportive..amazingly so, and i appreciate it very much. but there have been a couple so far that have been hurt by comments by me in the past that responded by not speaking to me anymore, not responding to my emailed apology, leaving the room when i came in...basically acting as if i didnt exist anymore because of my hurting them. man does that trigger shit for me. its really hard to remember when that happens about all the people who have been supportive. all my brain can think of is maybe i really am not worth a damn. it doesnt always affect me this way but all i need is to be having a bad day, feeling lonely or something and then have someone treat me this way and its down i go. but i really am getting better because i can get out of it much faster now.

prisca-thanks, i havent gotten to speak with you that much because i believe we are on much different time zones but i do read all your posts so i know you are caring. and fortunately i have learned not to think of my sister when i see your handle...that took me a while LOL.

Daniel-thanks and apology accepted. nice chatting with you this morning. i have relatives in mississippi.

Jesussaves-thanks. i'll email you. sorry you know those feelings decribed above.

qadreena-celtic is quite discerning isnt he? thanks for sharing yourself. i did some research on bipolarism along with many other disorders but i never applied it to myself because i didnt really feel like what was described fit me..it didnt, i had never had an 'up' experience..just depression and sadness. i was diagnosed as bipolar once when i was in the hospital but i felt it was a misdiagnosis based on about 5 mins with a doctor who was a real jerk. the follow up psychiatrist agreed with me and successfully (well as much as possible) treated me for major depression instead. but a couple weeks ago i was feeling better than i ever have before. having fun at work, going out with friends, enjoying life. it lasted for a week. then i crashed and burned. i felt awful and all the old feelings started to come back. the more i tried to fight it the farther i slipped. i felt horrible for a day and a half or so. not suicidal really but just really hating myself. being alone during the onset of it i believe intensified the effect, being stood up and blown off by friends didnt help either. i think things just all happened at the wrong time and led to the crash. i was shocked that i had lost all the happiness, emotional stability, and positive self image of the previous week. the way it happened was out of my control although i felt i could and kept trying to control it. i couldnt believe it was possible to swing so far so fast. i guess thats what manic depressives have to deal with on a regular basis. my heart goes out to you. I am working to put some safety nets in place just in case it ever happens to me again.

ashi-thanks. gosh i hope you are wrong in saying that people offering support can be as dangerous as those oppressing you. or perhaps you mean inadvertently? because of our fragil state? otherwise, thats kinda scary man!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit