Anybody know anything about Scooters?

by Terry 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I have never ridden/driven a motorcycle or a scooter. But, I'm thinking about getting one.

In fact, a CHINESE scooter!

Why? They get 100 mpg on gasoline and they are under $900 bucks.

Besides, I sick and tired of pumping money in to my 98 Honda!

I've done a lot of reading lately on scooters.

It seems you have to be willing to get mechanically "involved" to be a scooter owner. I'm not. At least, I once was and am no more (mechanically inclined.)

I could almost fix anything on my 70 Maverick myself.

But, with computerized autos....I lift the hood and stare and slam it down again!

So, twiddle-diddlying with motor scooter's carbuerator or oil pan is not in the cards for me.

Somebody tell me some good reasons YES/NO for pursuing this crazy idea.

Check this page out:

http://www.scooterdepot.us/Moped-Scooters-p-1-c-31.html?gclid=COf2wvj93qsCFaEBQAod9EsVQA

• designs
    designs

Scooters are great, there is a Scooter Store up the street from my Store and they sell Vespas among other brands.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Terry, you live in Texas.

We have trucks in Texas.

Do you want to get run over by a truck?

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

They are fun to ride until your buddy sees you.

Around here, that's a nick-name for a cute chubby girls. (Please excuse the inappropriateness of this comment. I just couldn't help myself.)

• Terry
    Terry

The statistics tell me there is a 20 times greater chance of being roadkill on a scooter!

The brain is wired so that drivers looking for "cars" in their mirror actually become BLIND to non-cars (i.e. motorcyles/scooters) and end up saying: "He just came out of nowhere."

The nifty freedom of a scooter has appeal. But, the being made a mushy red streak in the street? Less so.

Trucks? I'm not a truck kinda guy. I don't wear white T-shirts and a bubba cap either:)

• designs
    designs

Wear the Bright Orange Jumpsuit when you ride that way drivers will be doubled over laughing and not hit you..

• St George of England
    St George of England

If you really must get a scooter get a Vespa, it will still be running in a couple of weeks. Chinese scooters and motorcycles are very poorly engineered and are a bad investment.

Far better to get a real bike, a little 125 Honda or Suzuki four stroke will return the same mpg, be more stable and last much longer. Even if you have to buy a used one it will be a much better investment.

Here in the UK scooters will forever be associated with the Mods of the 60's, being duffed up by the Rockers on Brighton Beach. Happy days.

George

• Terry
    Terry

Does anybody here actually RIDE a scooter?

I can ride a bicycle. How far will that take me in my learning curve?

• Glander
    Glander

All I know is that when my chihuahua Oscar turns into a scooter it is time to have his anal glands tended to.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a scooter. The vast majority don't even have gears to shift; you just twist and go. I have one (an antique of sorts) that has gears, but no clutch. It will take you a few hours of riding to get truly comfortable on the road, but that's just because you will be so completely aware of how close to death you are ;).

Obviously, it's about extreme defensiveness. Being more aware of what the car/truck drivers are going to do next than they are themselves. If you're good at that, you can probably reduce your odds to something more like 5 times as likely to be killed as when driving a car.

One strategy to consider. Yes, you can get something crappy for 900 bucks, but when you want to sell it used, even only a year down the road, it may be hard to get 350.00 bucks for it even though you may not have put very many miles on it. So, it may pay both financially and in reliability and fun-factor to get something already used that has some inherent worth, like a vespa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit