Was being a Ministerial Servant a Prerequisite for Marriage

by Pitchess Co-Gen 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I'm asking this because when I was in ( disfellowshipped in 2009 ) some "sisters" wouldn't even look at you unless you had the title Ministerial Servant or worse Elder. I notice this when I was in because one of my friends thinks that by becoming a MS he could get the better looking witness girls. Tell me your stories of this.

• xelder
    xelder

This is very common....yes. I heard the DO (Darrell Holman) say at a Circuit Assembly from the platform to the sisters, 'Why even look at the brother as a possible mate if he isn't a MS, if not.....why not'

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I married before becoming an MS. In my area at the time (Bible Belt- Southern USA) all the single guys were pretty much taken long before they made MS. Widowed MS's/elders were taken rather quickly. Divorced MS's/elders who could say the ex-wife was the problem typically stepped down and would remarry within a year, then work back up the title ladder in another year. If they were the problem, then they would climb the ladder a few years later but still marry rather quickly.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    'Why even look at the brother as a possible mate if he isn't a MS, if not.....why not'

I remember hearing this too (in Australia).

However, I was able to look at the bigger picture and I was more interested in compatability than anything else.

• undercover
    undercover

Shoot... all the hotties in my circuit/district didn't care that I was an MS. They went for the 'bad boys'... MSs and Pioneers were too clean cut and goody-goody for em.

It's the equivalent of high school girls being attracted to the captain of the chess team or the guy who rides a motorcycle and skips class to smoke weed behind the gym.

• Designer Stubble
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback

I wasn't a MS, but a starving poor pioneer. Poorer than a church mouse, or is that quieter than a church mouse?

I did run the other way when sisters came after me, though. Finally, someone caught me. She didn't care about if I was a MS.

I have heard though lately that they are promoting the MS candidates. Now that they could serve as young as 20 yrs old. But, don't be fooled by the label, or title. If your match is looking for a position, then you better beware. What's gonna happen if later on you can't do the 10 hrs per month, and you have to buckle down and support your family? Is she gonna be there for you?

Never mind about the sisters setting standards. You should also set standards.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I used to joke about this. It really depended on the age group of the sisters. I would joke that young sisters in their teens wanted a CO/special pioneer for a marraige mate. By their 20's an elder was a must. By their 30's a MS was fine. In their 40's an active publisher was just fine. By their 50's it was a brother, and by the time they reached their 60's, a brother in a coma would suffice.

I do remember an article back in 1989 that gave an outline about a marraige mate. One of the things I remember was the recomendation to consider someone as the society would. A brother had to be baptized a year before the brothers would consider them as a MS. I was recently baptized and I knew this would eliminate me from consideration from most sisters back then.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They encourage families to set standards--by means of demonstrations at a$$emblies. They are supposed to pick hounders, assistant hounders, or pious-sneers. The boys were going to become hounders or assistant hounders (and pious-sneers). Boys were to look for "sisters" that are pious-sneers. Girls were to become pious-sneers and look for hounders or assistant hounders that were also pious-sneers. The directive was presented by a demonstration of the "pious" family setting those standards and the children died faithful to Jehovah, while the "lax" family didn't set those standards and all the children were out of the cancer 10 years later.

• snakeface
    snakeface

It seems there were some hotties who wanted the "bad boys" or the unbaptized ones who were studying. But I think most sisters wanted a brother with a title. I did have a few sisters show interest in me when I was just a publisher, but once I became a MS and was giving public talks I had sisters showing up at my house, calling me up (all the elders and MS phone numbers were on the information board) and stalking me. And some of those phone calls were rather, um, direct. They'd start saying how much they like to perform oral sex, and things like that.

Oh, and during the CO visit, you know how everyone shows up for Saturday field service and the CO asks about car groups, well the single sisters would tell him they wanted to work with me. The CO would then view me as some kind of undershepherd and assign me over them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit