homosexuality

by MataM 46 Replies latest members adult

• Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

"I can't wait for the day that science proves incontrovertibly a genetic link or predisposition to homosexuality; that should rock the relgious world to its foundations."

ROOM 215: We're well on our way!

Hereditary genetic link/predisposition: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3735668.stm

Convincing scientific proof of neurological/physiological/biological reasons: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7456588.stm

Very scientific, but sorta weird: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/55169.stm

Though, you are right SABASTIAS, all the science in the world will probably not change anything!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I do hope that one day homosexuality will be proven to be genetic, if for no other reason to get rid of that silly " They choose to be that way" argument.

My fear is that IF it is genetic that it will be viewed as a "birth defect" of sorts.

• Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

Yeah me too!

If you read those articles I linked, one mentions, that 'parents will have the choice of what to do about it.'

That is a bio-ethical issue I am trying to define/approach at the university level amongst my peers.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It would of course lead to an ethical dilema, how could it not?

If sex is, at the base genetic level, the way the species procreates, then a male wanting a female ( and vice-versa) is what is "normal" and "correct" at the genetic level for a human to be like.

Anything outside of that: homosexuality, bestiality, getting it on with an egg beater, would not be considered "normal" or "correct" at th egentic level and as such, would scientifically be viewed as a "disfunctional gene" or a "birth defect", yes?

• Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

Well put. And there is the rub! The core of the issue.

religion vs. science

Galileo's heliocentrism vs. the church's proponance of geocentrism, that the Earth was created by God, God created man, sent his son to save humanity, thus Earth was at the center of the universe.

What religion/society may call or identify as a genetic defect,

Science may call or clasify as evolution, as gene mutation over millions of years is thought to be at the center of that theory.

So, then at that point the real ethical issue becomes, bio-engineering. Science 'playing God.'

What if a parent said I want a child with blue eyes, blonde hair, and of a certain height? Would it make short, dark hair, brown eyed people less desired? Or, please 'fix' the 'gay gene' for my baby. I know those features are different than your argument regarding the procreating of a species, but still, engineering and defining what makes a defect based on something - whatever it is, societal or otherwise.

Not that I am arguing either one, just saying that we will likely soon see the day, as you said, that a 'genetic defect' proclamation/idea would end up having a negative societal impact on the human rights of homosexual persons. Which I, personally, would hate to see. :-(

• Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

It's at this point of the discussion, where my students begin to argue their points. And some begin switching sides back and forth. Especially those of different races - accross the board. I, obviously knowing, that as they ponder the ideas, they are not really telling the class, or vocalizing, what they really think about the subject.

I just always think of what Carey Barber told the Bethel Family once, "If God made us all the same, this place would be BORING." As he, in all seriousness, grunted. And later that day called me, a guy, a Nancy. Lol...

• jay88
    jay88

Psac: My fear is that IF it is genetic that it will be viewed as a "birth defect" of sorts

Thanks Sac, this is what I wanted to say,......This District Overseer was basically insinuating that it was a birth defect that occurs through genetics, like heart disease,....what-have-you

There was over 1000 people there,....I'm thinking at mininum of at least 10 non-hetero were present,....thought the comment was wrong,...that's all.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I know this is a bit off topic, but I heard a speaker say recently(not verbatim) that Homosexuals can not say that they were born that way, unless it is in the same vein as High-blood pressure, diabetes, are any other disease that has been passed through genetics .

If you are born that way why not get treatment such as a person with diabetes or, etc?

LOL---well I was born with blue eyes----do I need treatment??? Stupid analogy--but they excel at that.

NC

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

I suppose it could be argued that the only things that need treating in this world are things which cause pain, grief or are life threatening. Surely it is unethical to impose any other kind of 'treatment' on someone just because society or a group of people do not like what a certain person is, does or who he or she loves.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have a friend that went through "reparative therapy" as a dub. After intense effort with the "expert" in America, not one single thing changed for him. Not one feeling, not one impulse---not even a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSfSV5BSZ2g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit