For those still "in" the W.T , a Moral Question.

by wobble 24 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

Thank you for your honest reply FM.

I know I could not stand being torn apart by pretending to be in, I do not have that kind of strength. I guess I would have been no good as a Resistance fighter in occupied France in WW2 !

I suppose you guys who are still in are a little like that, going about your daily business as usual, but prepared,if the chance arises, to blow up a bridge or two !

I do really wish you all well, but I think you are wasting your time, your life, by hanging on in there, how many do you know who have remained a long time in and got their family out ?

It seems to me that if you cannot accomplish their release in a few months you never will, and by staying yourself for longer, you simply entrench them further.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I know that I am wasting my time. But it's not my time that I am concerned with at this point. It's my family's time. I have opened up a little bit to a few close family members and friends. In most cases, they open up too and I learn that many JWs have at least one major issue with the Org that they battle with. But so far, none see enough evidence to leave the religion. They are convinced that even if it's imperfect, even if mistakes are made, God is behind it all and everything will eventually be taken care of. Also, the emotional connection to religious belief leaves them with a "Where else would I go?" attitude.

I don't see any chance of "getting them out." My only reasonable hope is that things will get so weird in the JW religion that open minded people may sympathize with those who decide to leave. Even that is a big stretch but it's the only scenario that makes sense to me right now.

I know that if I was to profess my true beliefs and leave, it would crush them. They would be in despair. I can't put them through that. So I hang on. I can be a low activity/low commitment player for a while. I can keep my mouth shut and play dumb. It's not a noble, courageous course, but it is what I have chosen for the time being so that I can still have contact with my family and friends.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

FRANKLINMASSEY - I'll second that! Well put. The same would happen with my family, at least at this point.

I think if you're honest with yourself, you realize the freedom you experience from being out, even just mentally, is still quite relative. No one will EVER have a perfect experience of "being."

Vonnegut said something to the effect of "We are what we pretend to be, so be careful what you pretend to be."

He also said something like "The whole purpose of life is to just fart around."

So we're all down here farting around, doing our best to keep a measure of peace under less than favorable circumstances.

I have no idea what my point is and I have even had a drink today!

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

It is extremely hard to stay "in" in any form now that I know the truth. My dad and my brother think it is preferable to die before Armegeddon because that gives them a free ticket to the thousand year reign. So sickening, and so hard not to correct them, but what good would it do? The timing has to be right, the seeds have to have time to be planted and grow.

I said amen to a prayer before a meal and I will never do that again. I was messed up for days.

Your loving sister, SOG

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I am simply trying to get in to the mind and heart of those who stay in a religion they know to be false and a killer."

Well, if one stays in a religion while knowing it to be false and a killer, then one has no moral at all and is not the person to ask a moral question.

Such could be said about almost ANY religion (Crusades, Inquisition, etc) and surely about any political party since they all lie withour remorse and willingly send people to fight for "freedom" when really they all know it's for politics. (How do you tell when a politician is lying? His lips move.)

So, remaining "IN" the JW religion for reason of family & friends doesn't make you any less "moral" than anyone else out there.

JMHO

DOC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit