This Guy is One of My Favorite Christians: John Shelby Spong

by OnTheWayOut 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL. Spong has chosen the only path that a thinking Christian can take in the 21st century. I think he makes a lot of sense, and... best of all- he is still alive. You can join his mailing list by visiting his website.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Rydor, I can only guess that he is still a Christian because his full realization of needed change came near/after his retirement and he could sell more books and command more respect if he kept his "title." Otherwise, he seems very eastern in his thoughts.

But he doesn't want to say that Christianity should be abandoned, just reformed. He takes an honest look at the path it took.

• tec
    tec

Someone directed me to him a while back (maybe you, OTWO?) I can't remember. In either case, I like some of his premise, followed by a few things that he says. The rest... I just shrug my shoulders. He speaks of saving the religion of Christianity, but doesn't seem too concerned with Christ Himself... the One christians are supposed to be following.

So its all good that he senses something is wrong with "Christianity". I do as well. But that seems to be as far as the similarities go.

Peace,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest
    he seems very eastern in his thoughts.

True christianity is very similar to, if not spot on with [some] "eastern" thoughts (may you all have peace!). Abraham, the progenitor of Israel... came from the East... as did Sarah, Lot, Rebekkah, and Rachel (Genesis 11:26; 24:4; 27:43; 29:1, 4, 5). As did his descendants, the "Magi" - who came looking for my Lord shortly after his birth... who were descendants of Abraham by his sons with Keturah, who he sent BACK to the East - Genesis 25:6; Matthew 2:2). As did Job (Job 1:4).

Worship in the East was rapidly changing, however, becoming hugely idolatrous... even deteriorating into barbarism. So, Abraham was called up OUT of the East... to the west: Canaan. There, he kept the form of true worship... which he passed down to Ishmael, his firstborn, and Isaac... his "only-begotten son" by Sarah.

Ishmael, out of jealousy (which was understandable)... eventually left off the worship taught to him by Abraham; however, today, they (Islam) claim that it was Isaac who was the "infidel." And this is partly true, in that "Isaac" (Israel)... rebelled and showed themselves to be unfaithful. Israel's "infidelity", however, is an inaccurate excuse being used by "Ishmael" today to persecute them.

"Isaac"... is being called BACK to such worship, however... and in returning, WILL see traits of "eastern" thinking. Absolutely. That is why my Lord is recorded to have said:

"... many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens..."

Meaning, there still is... or at least WILL be... some true worship in the EAST... when my Lord returns.

Hope this helps clarify and, again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

Rydor: Spong's view is that the Bible itself is not holy, but the underlying message and experience that its authors sought to convey is. He says that God is bigger than all of our belief systems and not limited by any of them. So even though he does not believe the Bible stories literally, he finds them to be a suitable framework for contemplating the divine.

• tec
    tec

He says that God is bigger than all of our belief systems and not limited by any of them.

Now see, that is something I agree with!

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit