Miscellaneous PC Issues & Tips

by ProdigalSon 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• jay88
    jay88

There was no intent, for you to go into specifics,...... just wanted a laymen view on where your industry is progressing.

The last sentence gave me a few things to look into. Thanks.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

anony mous, you have sufficiently impressed with with your geek-fu on file systems for laptops and desktops. however, with all that you have written, you miss the fundamental answer to virtually every technical question. The answer is "it depends". Do linux based file systems need to be defragged? It depends.

With regard to the 4K buffer space at the end of a file, your point is well taken that it won't be missed, the flip side of that is that 4K won't be noticed, either. It's not enough space to do anything with to prevent fragmentation.

Fragementation ALWAYS occurs unless your file system is constantly doing moves or, worse yet, copy+delete actions.

Pre-fetch algorithms can work, but unless your workload is highly sequential, you may see a lot more read misses than hits. I am fully aware of how cache in storage arrays and servers work (years ago I wrote a white paper on x86 based virtual memory managers). It depends.

Also, saying that applications only use about 550 MB of physical memory...I can't go along with that. Right now, out of my 4 GB in this laptop, I am sitting with 1587 MB of physical memory in use. Of course, I also don't use a page file. YMMV. It depends.

And, 50TB with 20 simultaneous users... not to be disrespectful, but that's not a lot. I am currently looking at distributed systems for scalable storage around 3 PB in size.

Point is, making blankets statements like "Linux file systems never need to be defragged" is not smart. A better answer is "it depends" and then go ask a ton of questions to find out what you need to do to tune for performance, in my humble opinion.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Shaddup, EP, and buy a Mac already. I know in your line of work it's hard to make the leap, but maybe you could just put it in a closet or something so nobody could see it. You could be a 'closet case'. You realize that if you were in the closet, this would please me very much.

My computer hasn't slowed down one little bit since day one - no defragment, no disk clean-up, no external programs to deal with - nothing.

Kind Regards,

Shamooskiechuck - who doesn't miss his PC one little bit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit