Miscellaneous PC Issues & Tips

by ProdigalSon 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I apologize if this sounds like a commercial, but I would like to share some info about a fantastic program that I've been using on my laptop for the last five years or so. I've never had one that lasted this long, they usually would go in the garbage after 2 or 3 years. From just normal usage, PC's get fragmented registries, misaligned files, all sorts of errors, accompanied by ever increasing blue screens of death. I would have to do a factory restore just about every few months, and this is something that can take up to 2 days of hard work! And the older the system gets, the more it has to catch up with all the updates when you do this. Just try having to install 3 years worth of windows updates and pray there are no errors. The laptop would eventually just go into total meltdown one day, and that was that. Back to Best Buy/Circuit City, whatever.

What's the difference now? The program is called Iolo System Mechanic. It's always been very good, but in the last year or so it's been upgraded to version 10. It basically takes the place of at least half a dozen spyware programs that i was using, along with a litany of disc and registry cleaners... I was also spending a good chunk of money every year on Antivirus and Firewall software. Well get this: System Mechanic has an excellent antivirus and firewall built into it, and it updates itself at least 3 times a day. There are all sorts of tools, like Internet Connection optimizers, Program and file defragmenters, Registry and start-up optimizers, and security vulnerability detection systems.

But the best thing is, with this latest revision, comes a program that repairs misaligned files. I never even knew about this. Lately, I decided to put my entire CD collection on Itunes. This is over 1500 albums.... 137 Gigabytes of music. Because the System Mechanic defrag tool shows me a diagram of my hard drive and I can read on the bottom which files it is aligning as it works, I was shocked to find out that whenever I loaded new albums, they were being fragmented all over the drive as I was loading them, when there was ample free continuous space on the drive. This is why PC's get so messed up over time. After I defrag the programs and the files, I notice that my computer starts up and loads everything in under 30 seconds, where I used to have to sit around for 3 minutes or more. The bottom line: This computer is OLD, and it works better than it did right out of the factory... lightning fast....and no more blue screens of death.

My hard drive capacity is 225 gigs. It had gotten down to 11 gigs of free space and I started having issues. So I ran the Windows Vista defrag tool and that got me another 12 gigs of free space. Another thing I just did was delete all but the most recent system restore points and that got me another 25 gigs.

I believe I paid about $75 for System Mechanic about 5 or 6 years ago and its only $19.95 per year to renew. It is truly the everything-in-one tool that I don't know how anyone with a PC can live without. I have been reluctant to go to a Mac because I just can't seem to get used to them, but right now I have no reason to.

Here's the link to Iolo....

http://www.iolo.com/promo/welcome/sm/home.htm?utm_source=cj

• glenster
    glenster

You might like something I leaned about from the TweakGuides Tweaking
    Companion at the Tweakguides web site--Diskeeper. The Windows XP (and
    Vista, which I currently use?) defragmenter is a scaled down version of it.
    I recommend the Professional version--it lets you do a boot time
    defragmentation, which defragments the Pagefile and Master File Table.
    Your other files run in co-ordination with those, but you can't defragment
    those with the Windows XP defragmenter.
    http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskeeper

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Degragmenting the pagefile works for roughly 30 seconds.

You want your laptop or desktop to run smooth?

- Use a good AV app. Plenty of good free ones available.

- Defrag the disk every now and then

- Don't install every random app you come across

- Use firefox and run Adblock

- Browse in private mode or delete all browsing history every once in a while

there you go, that's all there is to it.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

A more permanent fix for PC issues: http://www.ubuntu.com, http://www.apple.com/

• jay88
    jay88

Or you could just use linux, and not have to worry about defrag(nearly as much), antiivirus and having to pay for software.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You're adorable.

• jay88
    jay88

Yes, what AM said

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Why, exactly, would you not have to worry about defrag with Linux?

• baltar447
    baltar447

I have mixed thoughts about these software utilities. I am an IT consultant and I generally don't use them personally. If you have Windows XP I have had some users report improved performance. However with Windows Vista and 7, many of these tasks are automated such as defragging. I really don't have an objection if anyone wants to use these. However I do advise against "registry cleaners". I have used one in the past and had real issues with it. It would break some software packages that I had installed and I would need to reinstall.

• jay88

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit