Research Data Wanted: Married to a JW or child of one parent in and the other not

by Lady Lee 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nugget
    nugget

My mother was baptized when I was 4 my father was never baptised and never studied. To say that this religion has been a source of tension in the marriage is an understatement.

The organisation emasculates any unbelieving husband who has to thereafter bow to the edicts of the society on all matters. Witnesses rarely compromise and expect their spouses to fit in around them. Areas such as family discipline and family honour are taken away from them and there is no privacy since faults and failings are free to be discussed with elders.

My father wanted his children not to be different and to celebrate holidays and have full participation in assemblies at school. However the influence of the society is so insidious that we felt out of place and constantly desperate to be accepted. Since the organisation controled our friends and our mother it was easier to submit to their rules and gain approval than constantly rebel against it.

Where the organisation has provided the greatest area of friction has been in the shunning process. My father believes family are everything and yet the watchtower teaches that family is subservient to the organisation. The shunning policy had driven a wedge into the family between myself and my older sister and mother. My sister in particular has embraced the shunning policy and is in danger of being cut off from the family which is ironic considering she feels it is the other way.

I admire my father for sticking with the situation and I am glad that in later life we can show our appreciation.

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Hi I am a category 2. My dad is atheist so he always thought the JWs were just like any other religion, albeit more strict. If the internet was around when I was younger, I think he would have been able to learn about the true cult-like nature of this religion.

Having a worldly father really helped me to later accept the fact that this whole religion is a sham. But it created this divided household because I am an only child so a lot of times my mom and I would be left out of things that my other completely worldly family was doing. These sorts of circumstances created a co-dependent bond with my mom, since I am the only child. I am still struggling with this and am trying to figure out how to proceed with her. I am completely inactive and she knows I have "doubts." Trying to figure out how to possibly get her out of this cult, since all of our family were never JW's.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

The organisation emasculates any unbelieving husband who has to thereafter bow to the edicts of the society on all matters. Witnesses rarely compromise and
    expect their spouses to fit in around them.
    Areas such as family discipline and family honour are taken away from them and there is no privacy since faults and failings are free to be discussed with elders.

Nugget,

Well said, you really nailed it... It's as if you lived in my house growing up. My Dad pretty much had his kids and his marriage hijacked by this religion. Thanks for posting that comment.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sorry for the delay I spent yesterday at the dentist getting things done I didn't think needed doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit