What is truth?

by mankkeli 34 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

read some Tarski, it will blow your mind ;-).

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

in reply to the question "what is truth?" and after reading your opening post, mankhedi, and the replies here, I think it may be very useful to think of not viewing truth as a noun and thus as an object to be grasped but as a verb - to truth. My lightbulb moment.

so when we endeavour to truth we can as individuals pick up a thread to hold onto through the labyrinth of life's unknowns, difficulties and complexities. The thead we pick up is personal to ourselves (our unfolding truth) and when we reach a deadend in the labyrinth we backtrack using the thread and then go in another direction.

edit: I think this may be true for believers, agnostics, pagans, atheists - in that a search for meaning is common to all.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Lonewolf...thanks for that link...interesting read

LOL N.drew

• AGuest
    AGuest

I read your post thoroughly, dear Glad (peace to you!). I omitted "we THINK"... because I didn't want to instigate yet another discussion regarding what folks "think" is truth. For example, that the physical realm is all there is. For some, this is the truth (because they THINK it is). You stated that once "we think we know the truth" we close our minds to other possibilities. One possibility that such ones close their minds to is that there IS more than just the physical realm. So, I found that statement to be ironic, actually. Because knowing the truth... not THINKING you know it*... but KNOWING it... is what OPENS the mind... and the heart.

So that, those whose minds... and hearts... are closed... are those who THINK they know the truth... but truly do not.

I hope that clears up where I was coming from. Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

*actually, he...

• Awen
    Awen

I guess we need to come to terms with what reality is before we can know Truth.

Like Tammy mentioned there were things in the past that others thought were truth but were later disproven.

One could day YHWH is the true God and Jesus is his Son. That would be truth for many. However until others come to accept it for themselves it stil remains a non-truth (at least for themselves) yet in reality is still truth.

This is a very hard question to answer as it's dependent entirely upon our own individual point of view in relation to what actually is.

I'm more apt to say I think I know what truth is, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit