Anwar Al-Awlaki and due process any thoughts?

by MoneurMallard 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hey thanks RockNeck, that's a pretty interesting Liberal website you found

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65035.html

Obama impeachment a possibility, says Ron Paul

Ron Paul said Monday that President Barack Obama’s targeted killing of Anwar al-Awlaki might be an impeachable offense.

Asked at a Manchester, N.H. town hall meeting about last week’s killing of the American-born Al Qaeda leader, the Texas congressman said impeachment would be “possible,” but that he wants to know more about how the administration “flouted the law.”

Paul called the killing a movement toward “tyranny.”

“I put responsibility on the president because this is obviously a step in the wrong direction,” Paul said. “We have just totally disrespected the Constitution.”

The comments once again put Paul at odds with his Republican rivals over foreign policy and the war on terror in the latest indication of how his foreign policy views stray far from Republican orthodoxy even in a GOP that’s taken on an increasingly isolationist bent. Candidates like Michele Bachmann and Mitt Romney — who included the president in a list of people he commended in a statement released Friday — have generally been supportive of the killing. No one else in the field has spoken out against it.

But Paul’s stuck with the civil libertarians who’ve criticized the targeted killing of an American citizen without public due process.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

SSn587, what was wrong with his elk? I didn't think they had elk in Yemen. Why would he be traveling with an elk anyway? Wait, you said ilk, not elk...sorry.

• Diest
    Diest

He was basicly a rebel. When you fight with the government it is going to happen....you are always a traitor, unless you win.

That being said, I am not fond of the idea of assainating US citizens.

• Quandry
    Quandry

What ssn said.

• MoneurMallard
    MoneurMallard

Wow. Didn't know ex-JW's were into politics this much. My opinion on this is thus:

Regardless of my personal feelings about the individual in question, his rights were violated as a U.S. Citizen, and due process was not carried out. The fact that he may very well have been a dangerous threat to society does not supercede the Magna Carta which has been in place for more than 800 years. The constitution in part was drafted based on that document, and we the people, are now at risk from the government killing any one of us just based upon accusation alone.

It doesn't matter that the first act of this kind was carried out on a terrorist al-queda supporter, it had to be in order for us to buy into it and allow it to happen under our noses.

If we go with the thinking of ssn587, we are susceptible to getting killed by the CIA or FBI at a moments notice, without being able to provide witnesses, evidence or challenge our accusers in court. What if this man isn't guilty? The media is our only source of information, and they're simply relying on what the government is telling them. What if there are witnesses that could prove he was innocent of the charges?

Take the Casey Anthony trial for instance, although I personally think she had to have known what happened to her daughter, I don't know whether or not she herself killed the child, or whether the child drowned in a pool, fell out of the car, walked out into traffic at night, swallowed chemicals/poison, etc, any number of possibilities. Her defense attorney provided reasonable doubt in her case. The media and most Americans thought she was guilty of murder, despite no evidence of murder being brought to the court. The prosecution in this case, in my opinion, didn't charge her properly. They should have charged her with serious neglect of a child, child endangerment, and culpable manslaughter, at least that way, she would have done some time in prison.

Anyway, just my thoughts, but I know a trial and conviction and death sentence would have been a suitable alternative to just violating his rights and murdering him.

• MoneurMallard
    MoneurMallard

Also, more on the Casey Anthony point: If, like Anwar's situation, the government simply accepted Casey's initial accusation against the Gonzoles woman, (the babysitter), they would have just killed her and moved on. No due process....Casey's accusation would be good enough evidence, and there would be no need for any further investigation or subpoenas, witness statements, etc.

We must have due process, investigations, and a jury trial in a capital case.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Did he or did he not officially renounce his citizenship? IMO, if he did, he is an enemy combatant. If he did not, ooops!

There is a process for renouncing one's citizenship: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

All enemies of the US should be eliminated. Period.

• botchtowersociety

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit