Anwar Al-Awlaki and due process any thoughts?

by MoneurMallard 20 Replies latest jw friends

• MoneurMallard
    MoneurMallard

Recently Anwar Al-Awlaki was killed by the U.S. Government. He was a U.S. citizen, and no due process was given, he was just killed outright, no arrest, no trial, no court.

Any thoughts?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/3/al-awlaki-would-have-been-difficult-to-try-as-a-ci/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

• cedars
    cedars

I do find it interesting that the whole concept of overt assassination without trial has now seemingly become acceptable almost overnight. Saddam Hussein received at least some semblance of a trial. Now we have seamlessly moved into a world where trials are superfluous if the person's notoriety or alleged crimes are deemed serious enough by the United States. As much as I hate terrorists and everything that they stand for, I personally feel this is a worrying development.

Having made this comment, I shall now be scanning the skies over my house for drones...

• designs
    designs

Enemy combatants, people held for years without trial was the beginning.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I am torn on this one.

On one hand, a trial would have been a dog and pony show. I mean, how much more evidence did we need on this guy? And, if the gunmen who shot him down had nicely asked him to get into custody, put his hands behind his backs, etc....would they have been killed? I mean, he wasn't going down easy.

On the other hand, he was a US citizen.

Perhaps we should have a law to provide for a trial to make them traitors. He wouldn't have shown up to defend himself. THen, get another law that allows us to shoot traitors on sight.

Skeeter

• ssn587
    ssn587

A drone got him, he got all the due process he was entitled to, he was at war with the U.S. he was an enemy combatant, he got what he deserved, it's to bad he didn't get killed earlier. the hell with him and his ilk.

• Shador
    Shador

What ssn said.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Let's assume he is still alive and living in Yemin. You are either a high-ranking US official, or a high-ranking Yemeni official. It's your responsibility to stop him from doing further harm. Tell us how you do that:

• iceguy
    iceguy

He renounced his citizenship. He was at war with US...he got what he deserved.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    He renounced his citizenship
    I may change my mind as I examine all the facts available, but right now, if the above is true, imo, it was a righteous shoot!
  • Duderino
    Duderino

Obama Administration Drafts Legal Advisory Justifying Killing of Americans without Trial

When you read about the assassination of an American citizen by the U.S. Government, you may be tempted to think of it as an isolated action. But before that assassination was carried out, the Justice Department actually wrote a opinion laying out a legal theory under which the killing of U.S. citizens without due process is acceptable. Killing Americans without trial is now part of administration policy toward the people of the United States.

I’d love to tell you more about the Obama Administration’s legal opinion. But your government won’t comment on the opinion and refuses to release the opinion for public view:

“A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment. The administration officials refused to disclose the exact legal analysis used to authorize targeting Aulaqi, or how they considered any Fifth Amendment right to due process.”

You’re subject to a legal stance that could kill you — and that legal stance itself is an official secret.

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/10/01/obama-administration-drafts-legal-advisory-justifying-killing-of-americans-without-trial/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit