Shunning..... at Meetings ???

by IMHO 43 Replies latest jw friends

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

SIAM:

I am so sorry for being a part of that racket. God what a jackass I was. (hangs head in shame)

You're not the only with regrets and who's head hangs in shame my friend!

Quendi:

you'd think the Memorial would be it.

You'd think?

• Awen
    Awen

When I went to the Memorial and people treated me badly I shrugged it off. Then I partook. THAT got their attention.

Imagine you are a JW and you've just behaved rudely to a DFed person. Then that person partakes of the wine and bread. The things that must run through their minds if they are the normal paranoid type JW's.

"OMG I just shunned one of Jesus' brother....should I apologize or should I follow what the WTS says? I'm so confused."

I almost felt sorry for them.

Almost.

My point in saying this is many JW's treat the anointed as royalty (especially the ones on the GB). This is wrong of course but when shunning might actually bring harm (adverse judgement because of a controversial teaching) to the person doing the shunning the wheels get to turning in their heads. I hope that somewhere along the line these people wake up and leave this high control group.

If I were the praying type I might pray for them.

But of course nobody is home or no one's answering the prayer line.

• IMHO
    IMHO

crazycate and Awen you both made very interesting and valid but different points in regard to 1 COR 5:11-13.

The scripture says quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother who IS... doing whatever.

If they are 'back' at the meetings they have no doubt stopped or at least trying to and may need help in doing so.

Awen you added that the scripture: makes the point that the person in question is called a "brother" making a paradox with the announcement that xxxxxx is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Further to that if one is no longer a "Jehovah's Witness" then apostacy aside it would make you no different to a 'worldly person'. Therefore the scripture wouldn't apply as is says to "quit mixing.... with anyone called a BROTHER".

Also a very good point about meetings in private homes in the Corinthian congregation. When there was still Book Studies held in private homes Df'd ones were not even allowed to attend they had to go to one held at the KH, if there was one.

The time period is also of interest. It must make the elders look bad if a DF'd one is attending all the meetings right away. In fact the person I mentioned earlier applied for reinstatement after a couple of months (he had been at every meeting since the announcement) and he was told no because..... believe it or not..... nothing to do with his behaviour.... but either the congregation may think that the elders had made a mistake and are rectifying it or the congregation may think his 'sin' was not that serious.

• crazycate
    crazycate

IMHO: "The time period is also of interest. It must make the elders look bad if a DF'd one is attending all the meetings right away. In fact the person I mentioned earlier applied for reinstatement after a couple of months (he had been at every meeting since the announcement) and he was told no because..... believe it or not..... nothing to do with his behaviour.... but either the congregation may think that the elders had made a mistake and are rectifying it or the congregation may think his 'sin' was not that serious."

Interesting point. Well, let's face it, much about being a JW is about appearances.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit