Any Runners Here?

by zoiks 40 Replies latest social physical

• extractor
    extractor

I went running the other day with 3 active JWs and 3 born again Christians. Kind of wished Arm. would happen so we'd all know once and for all who's right.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Arizona is rife with joggers and marathons.

Just rife with 'em.

Of course, in summer it's more of an evening sport.

But the weather is cooling now and everyone will be out and about.

There are tons of night life in summer.

Lots of runners, bikers, and some inline skaters.

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

Hi zoiks - CONGRATS on running another 5K today!!! Awesome

I started a running program over the past year via a podcast called "Couch to 5K" by Robert Ullrey. It's a 9-week program that's designed to get a person off their lazy duff, that would be ME...uh, get a person motivated and trained to do a 5K! Yeah, that's it. At any rate, this podcast turned thissa-here non-runner into someone who enjoys the sport now......AND I just ran my first "official" 5K today in Denver's Race for the Cure! It was such an inspirational thing to do, good feelings all around, and I'm looking forward to my next event.

So yeah....I'm sorta kinda hooked on running now. Talk about getting your ya-ya's out

~ RTA

• unshackled
    unshackled

I've been hearing more and more about these FiveFingers runners by Vibram. Allegedly the "barefoot" running is better for you and is supposed to feel great. I think it be kinda cool, wouldn't mind giving them a try.

Has anyone tried these? What did you think?

• zoiks
    zoiks

Shack, you beautiful bastard, how are you? How was the run with the hound?

Yes, momentum is everything, isn't it?

Reallytrulyathena - awesome! Congrats on your first 5k...it's a great experience, isn't it?

White Dove - I have been in Arizona once, and it was during a hot spell, I think. Arrived at midnight and it was 95 degrees out. I can imagine most physical activities, at least in the southern part of the state, being more tolerable in the evening.

Edited to add: I am seeing more and more of those Five Finger barefoot shoes around. Lots at the race yesterday. Look like Muppet feet.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I run about 3 or 4 times a week - Mountain Bike too, I juice every morning, too!

Drink Coffee and have been thinking of starting HARD DRugs, too! (thats to see if anyone is paying attention) joke! :o)

Hey if there are any Runners in Raleigh/Durham Area, I would enjoy meeting up,

thanks!

DG

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Zoiks - and you other runners - what kinda strawberry flavored crack you been smokin'? You guys make running sound like....eh, fun.

Well, dammit, color me inspired. (That's a shade lighter than fuchsia, FWIW.)

I've hated running since I bombed the 1-miler in 7th grade PE. I had zero concept of distance running and Coach didn't care to throw me a frickin' bone about the basics, like pacing myself or tying shoelaces beforehand. Thirty seconds into it, I was all, "Lolz... [yeah, I was saying that shit in the 90s when "texting" meant passing notes]... That new kid from Kenya must notta got the memo that we're doing this for T-I-M-E. Imma show him how we do it where I come from." (Turns out he also came from a woman's uterus. Who knew?)

FFWD>> a few years - I go to great lengths to avoid anything beyond a brisk saunter now. But I usually start some kinda routine to get in shape each spring/summer and then slack off fall/winter and put on my back-fat vest and encourage my muscles to atrophy. Skinny-fat, if you will. It's the new ripped.

Between this year being hellishly busy and temperatures soaring upwards of 100 million degrees in our area, I haven't done jack squat. Now I hate myself already and the newly celebrated pantalones-shrinking holidays are coming up. What's a skinny-fat-ass to do?

Well, my daughter is in soccer for the first time this year and she needs to build up endurance. So last Thursday, she and I set out early am for our first .6 mi run and, despite my bitter history with running, at some point it occurred to me: Who does this shit unless they're being chased by a Rottweiler?

Actually, I can see the appeal, especially when a person can run for great distances without stopping. I detect the sensations of freedom in others. Me, I feel like an ostrich contemplating flight. But with our plans to move to Colorado, I intend on keeping it up even after her soccer season is over. Cheezits wants some of that intoxication you ppl seem to enjoy.

BTW, congrats on your progress!

• zoiks
    zoiks

I intend on keeping it up even after her soccer season is over. Cheezits wants some of that intoxication you ppl seem to enjoy.

That's right, my flightless friend! "Spread your little wings and flyyyy awaaaayy, flyyyy awaaaayy, faaaar awayay...."

• mummatron
    mummatron

Zoiks, those shoes look awesome. I've not seen them over here in the UK. I actually used to run the 1500 metres barefoot on the grass track in secondary school! I haven't done any running since I had to stop playing soccer 5 years ago - my knees are wrecked. Would like to get back into it if just to keep up with my son.

• mummatron
    mummatron

Actually, I forgot, I did run 5k in 2009. I promised myself I'd do Race for Life and used it as an incentive to regain some fitness after my son was born.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit